Questions about moving out of London

12346»

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,638
    Veronese68 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    We need to move into a bigger home and cannot afford Wimbledon, no one wins if we remain there.
    Where in Wimbledon are you? Wimbledon goes from multi million pound houses to not quite so much within a very short distance. Moving only a few miles might get you something, saying that I last looked for a house in Wimbledon 17 years ago.

<waves from zone 5> It's much cheaper than Wimbledon down my way, got a bit of that village green feeling that DDD seems to be after, but still well enough connected.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    rjsterry wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    We need to move into a bigger home and cannot afford Wimbledon, no one wins if we remain there.
    Where in Wimbledon are you? Wimbledon goes from multi million pound houses to not quite so much within a very short distance. Moving only a few miles might get you something, saying that I last looked for a house in Wimbledon 17 years ago.

<waves from zone 5> It's much cheaper than Wimbledon down my way, got a bit of that village green feeling that DDD seems to be after, but still well enough connected.

Even here but close by, in zone 6 Hammersmith is not far away, by bus or train, likewise central london, and being the slow line , and almost the first call you get a seat!
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    Essex...you know you want to :wink:

I'm in Stock...great cycling around here!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    rjsterry wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Even here but close by, in zone 6 Hammersmith is not far away, by bus or train, likewise central london, and being the slow line , and almost the first call you get a seat!
    Carlshalton was on the list, still might be, as was that one nice road in Morden next to the one good school...

But whereas in London you might get to live on that 1 - 3 good road/s in an area (Aragon Road, Hillcross Avenue and Tudor Drive - Morden) you get entire areas that are nice and safe outside London. But most importantly better school options.

Rjsterry, where are you sending your kids to school?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Worcester park is nice and about 75k to 100k cheaper for 3 bed semi...waves
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • DonDaddyD
    Sketchley wrote:
    Worcester park is nice and about 75k to 100k cheaper for 3 bed semi...waves
    I looked there and am still looking, best I saw were places for about £300,000 for 3 bed. I understand the listed price and the sale price are a mutually negotiated conclusion - but still...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • sketchley
    How much is 3 bed semi in Wimbledon then?
    --
    Chris

• DonDaddyD
    edited May 2013
    My road? The 1 bedroom flat downstairs went for £325,000.

Houses go from £700,000.
    Food Chain number = 4

• sketchley
    Answering me own question there between 450k and 650k..... Same thing in wp is 350 to 450.....
    --
    Chris

• DonDaddyD
    Sketchley wrote:
    Answering me own question there between 450k and 650k..... Same thing in wp is 350 to 450.....
    Yeah, but its not so much about going to the mortgage broker and saying

"Look you f*cking talentless oik, I live in a flat that's worth more than the propertyI want to buy so you will give me a mortgage to my liking and I will tell you how much I'm prepared to pay in installments and you will accept this."

There is no point saying Wimbledon is more expensive than Worcester Park so live there. Worcester Park is still too f*cking expensive - especially compared to what else you can get in nicer areas with better schools.

That wasn't a rant - imagine me saying it with a jovial tone.
    Food Chain number = 4

• sketchley
    Ok so worcester park is too f£&&?&£?& expensive as well......
    --
    Chris

• jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Carlshalton was on the list, still might be, as was that one nice road in Morden next to the one good school...

But whereas in London you might get to live on that 1 - 3 good road/s in an area (Aragon Road, Hillcross Avenue and Tudor Drive - Morden) you get entire areas that are nice and safe outside London. But most importantly better school options.

Rjsterry, where are you sending your kids to school?

DDD, earlier in the thread you mentioned Kent (or at least Tonbridge).

Schools are very variable there because of the 11-plus. This means that the comprehensives in the area tend to lack the more able kids, so are not very comprehensive. If the kids pass the 11-plus, then the schools are good.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    Sketchley wrote:
    Ok so worcester park is too f£&&?&£?& expensive as well......
    Worcester Park was one place I was thinking of. :oops: