Fleche Wallonne - Race chat/Spoilers

124»

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    It looks like a club run race up a hill. Pans out in the same way.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    RonB wrote:
    Bit surprised that Garmin didn't put a guy back there with Martin to help him save some energy to get back in to the race. Must have been a minor issue I guess.

Martin & Ryder both punctured at slightly different times so perhaps not enough fire power to help out

Commentators suggesting that if he's not too far back it's easier for a rider to make his way through the cars but that the team would them help them through the peloton, back into position.

That may well be cobblers.

Sounds plausible I guess have seen it in other races.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    Pross wrote:
    ... Anyway two second places in PTP in the Ardennes so far for me which is pretty good considering there's been surprise winners of both :)

Yeah - alright El Smuggo; no need to gloat.

Technically, now that Sagan has still only won chippers, does that mean he can go back to being an outsider - Or worse still; the New EBH...?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Very pleased for Moreno. He is a superb rider and is good on the steep stuff although I admit I was surprised he won and fairly easily also.

Huge move by Betancur. Most riders who go that early get punished so glad he held on to podo.

Quintana well down but maybe he didn't come to race which is fine.

Great photos. Gilbert, race face strapped, up a steep hill, out the saddle in WC Kit - love it.
    Sky photos are good:
    http://www.teamsky.com/gallery/0,27401, ... 66,00.html
    This one is very nice:
    fleche9_2931070.jpg
    And Moreno looking classy:
    dani_2931020.jpg

Sagan did well - quiet but good for a big guy.

4th Spanish win in 10 years. Moreno roomed with JRod in 'lucky room 11'. JRod actually finished very well considering his crash and LBL as target.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Pross wrote:
    Anyway two second places in PTP in the Ardennes
    That's clever in more ways than one.
    They don't get to the Ardennes till Sunday. :roll:
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    deejay wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Anyway two second places in PTP in the Ardennes
    That's clever in more ways than one.
    They don't get to the Ardennes till Sunday. :roll:

The geographic boundary of the northern Ardennes is the river Meuse which Huy straddles and the Mur is within the boundary. Whilst the hills used by the Amstel may not be called the Ardennes it is still part of the same range which joins the Eifel range in Germany so stop trying to be a smart arse, everyone in cycling refers to the three races as the Ardennes Classics and everyone knows what is meant :roll:
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    I wasnt able to watch this race last week and only saw a replay on Eurosport last night. Whilst I agree that Dan Martin did a great ride to finish 4th, I cant help but feel that he threw the race away. His final surge over the last 150-200m could easily have won him the race if he had been better positioned before his surge. Its not as though he would have needed to expend much more energy to position himself better - early on in the climb when he was back 20 places he didnt look like he was struggling or trying for that matter.

Im sure there are Youtube clips out there of the final ascent of the Mur... you will see Martin sitting quite far back (20+ position).

I was thinking to myself last night that if there was a Strava segment just for that race, he would easily have the fastest climb of the Mur.
    www.dotcycling.com
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    emadden wrote:
    I wasnt able to watch this race last week and only saw a replay on Eurosport last night. Whilst I agree that Dan Martin did a great ride to finish 4th, I cant help but feel that he threw the race away. His final surge over the last 150-200m could easily have won him the race if he had been better positioned before his surge. Its not as though he would have needed to expend much more energy to position himself better - early on in the climb when he was back 20 places he didnt look like he was struggling or trying for that matter.

Im sure there are Youtube clips out there of the final ascent of the Mur... you will see Martin sitting quite far back (20+ position).

I was thinking to myself last night that if there was a Strava segment just for that race, he would easily have the fastest climb of the Mur.

I think Martin had a mechanical quite late in the race, which might explain this.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)