1- Moreno (KAT)
    2- Henao (SKY)
    3- Betancur (ALM)
    4- D. Martin (GRS)
    5- Kwiatkowski (OPQ)
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    edited April 2013
    Betancur Gomez 3rd & Martin 4th official results now in - though as we have seen in the last few weeks these could change I guess
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    at times that was like watching a flick book :lol:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,563
    Gilbert not even in the top 10.
  • danlikesbikes
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Gilbert not even in the top 10.

Must have gone bang big time in the last few hundred shame the coverage didn't do the final justice
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    at times that was like watching a flick book :lol:

Its always like flick book for me - with Norman Collier(TM) broadband!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Another great ride by Michal Kwiatkowski - he's only 22. Destined for great things in cycling (and Scrabble)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Contador down in 33rd.

Josh Edmondson 43rd. With the group right until the foot of the climb.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,563
    In my wholly amateurish arm chair pundit view, Gilbert looked overgeared.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    RichN95 wrote:
    Another great ride by Michal Kwiatkowski - he's only 22. Destined for great things in cycling (and Scrabble)

Yes, he's a proper all round talent isn't he.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Some lightweight performances from the peloton heavyweights.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    TheBigBean wrote:

He knows what gearing he needs to win. Looking overgeard usually = not the form to ride up hill at necessary speed.
  • danlikesbikes
    TheBigBean wrote:

He knows what gearing he needs to win. Looking overgeard usually = not the form to ride up hill at necessary speed.

Does happen though, not too long ago we had Froomie admitting that he/the team had got it wrong on gears and he was certainly fit enough in that race.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    TheBigBean wrote:

Does happen though, not too long ago we had Froomie admitting that he/the team had got it wrong on gears and he was certainly fit enough in that race.

Yeah but it's not like Gilbert hasn't ridden this hill before.

Strava is not Zen.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    TheBigBean wrote:

I think what Rick means is that Gilbert knows which gears he needs on the Mur de Huy in particular. He has grown up in the Ardennes, 20 miles from Huy, and he has raced on it plenty of times. He knows that hill inside out, has won on it, and knows what gears he needs to push to win there.
  • danlikesbikes
    FJS wrote:

I think what Rick means is that Gilbert knows which gears he needs on the Mur de Huy in particular. He has grown up in the Ardennes, 20 miles from Huy, and he has raced on it plenty of times. He knows that hill inside out, has won on it, and knows what gears he needs to push to win there.

I'm not doubting Rick is right in this instance, however BMC are now on 11 speed whereas last year would have been 10 Gilbert spends most of his current training in Monaco and has done for a good many years not in Belgium, though you would expect him to have something of a 'home' advantage in terms of knowledge.

Am not techie expert but would expect that a rider with Gilbert's obvious explosive power will have used slightly different gearing year on year depending on how his form was & coming into the specific race after last weeks good showing would have felt that he was up to the task on the given gearing he/the team went for.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    RichN95 wrote:

Definitely. Looks properly talented.
  • rick_chasey
    Looks good on the bike too.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Enjoyed that in spite of the coverage.

Had considered Martin for PTP.... :roll:
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    RonB wrote:
    Bit surprised that Garmin didn't put a guy back there with Martin to help him save some energy to get back in to the race. Must have been a minor issue I guess.

Martin & Ryder both punctured at slightly different times so perhaps not enough fire power to help out

Commentators suggesting that if he's not too far back it's easier for a rider to make his way through the cars but that the team would them help them through the peleton, back into position.

That may well be cobblers.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Two reasons to celebrate: Colombian madness AND PTP points for me-he :)
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Just watched the finish, looked like Henao was too quick to leave Moreno's wheel - switched to follow Gilbert's instead and by that time Gilbert was tying up.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I must have recorded the wrong thing on Eurosport, only got about 20 minutes of racing. I saw the Schleck-chute was deployed again, he's really not having a good season...
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    ^^but the bookies still put him above Cuddles, TJ, Nibbles..... for le tour - but surely no chance now.
  • Paul 8v
    I don't think Cuddles will do anything this season either, Schleck has no chance unless he's doing some super all-season bluff that he's pants now!
  • RichN95 wrote:

Looking forward to the Tour of Poland.
  • rick_chasey
    Just saw this.

I forget how ridiculous a finish on the Mur is.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Just saw this.

I forget how ridiculous a finish on the Mur is.

It feels impossibly long on the Sufferfest video even when you re being timed through an interval "up" it...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    Awful highlights programme. I'm sure this used to be a better race years ago? Good effort by Bettancur, glad he held on for a podium place and thought he was going to take it for a while. Dan Martin did well to recover from the chase and get in position. Also nice to see Moreno get the win, always like to see a different face on the top step. I think Henao made a slight mistake in going to follow Gilbert when he was on Moreno's wheel. Anyway two second places in PTP in the Ardennes so far for me which is pretty good considering there's been surprise winners of both :)
  • Paul 8v
    Pross wrote:
    Awful highlights programme. I'm sure this used to be a better race years ago? Good effort by Bettancur, glad he held on for a podium place and thought he was going to take it for a while. Dan Martin did well to recover from the chase and get in position. Also nice to see Moreno get the win, always like to see a different face on the top step. I think Henao made a slight mistake in going to follow Gilbert when he was on Moreno's wheel. Anyway two second places in PTP in the Ardennes so far for me which is pretty good considering there's been surprise winners of both :)
    The highlights were really bad, the one redeeming thing was the cameras on the final climb, makes a change from motorbike shots.