Ding Dong, The Witch is Dead!

13»

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Herb71 wrote:
    What i find interesting is the difference in attitudes towards Thatcher and Blair. Despite a rather unedifying end to her leadership she is still revered by those on the right yet Blair, who was more centrist and probably a bit more populist is widely disparaged on both sides.

He was no more or less controversial and left on his terms.

Perhaps over time people will be kinder to Blair. Seems unlikely though.

Thatcher was a conviction politician, whether you agreed with those convictions or not is a different matter, but she will always be revered by people who shared, or profited from those convictions.

Blair on the other hand was like a blank screen, ready to take whatever image was appropriate to get elected, there was no personal conviction at all. I thinks that is why he has no respect from left or right.

Really? I remember attending a talk by Hague during the Blair era and he felg Blair was a conviction politician and I do too.

Iraq is the glaring smash you in the face example. He was more centrist and took over during a period of sustained growth after a tory induced crash so he was generally less decisive. Everything I read shows him to be a conviction politician who understood that to do the things he was conviced he should, he must spin.

I was going to say exactly this, and cannot improve upon it.
  • rick_chasey
    Sodding phone. Wrote a long response.

In short. Blair. Conviction politician. See iraq. Less devisive since centrist and was in charge during sustained growth.

Knew to get conviction through via spin.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Sodding phone. Wrote a long response.

In short. Blair. Conviction politician. See iraq. Less devisive since centrist and was in charge during sustained growth.

Yep. You said that (above). So did I, more or less (I think) - at least I pretty much agree.
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    Herb71 wrote:
    I don't think he did mould the Labour party. I think he persuaded the more left wing to pipe down for a while, and they were pragmatic enough to do so (or frightened of Campbell?). He was able to lead them to 3 victories because the Tory party was in a dire state and there was no effective opposition. He also promised to be all things to all men and people were ready for the promised change.
    RC makes the good point that Blair being a centrist, not an extremist, doesn't make him any less of a conviction politician, he's simply less extreme than Thatcher.

The Labour party closely resembles its state under Blair, much more so than before Blair, so he really did mould it in a lasting way. If the Conservatives had had as much luck in getting their stirrers to "pipe down" in the nineties & noughties then they mightn't have been in such a dire state for so long.
  • In short. Blair. Conviction politician. See iraq...

That would include getting Campbell to sex up the WMD dossier.

=/= conviction politician, at least IMO.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,313
    Back on Topic

A five second clip of Ding Dong! The Witch is Dead will be played in a news item on Sunday's show.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22126940

Will those five seconds be, " Ding Dong. The Witch is Dead"?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • hubgearfan wrote:
    Oh, and I can't see why the BBC cannot refuse airplay; what's good enough for Frankie Goes To Hollywood is good enough for this bad taste rubbish.

And anyway, if we start cutting songs from playlists because someone finds them offensive, aren't we steering perilously close to the perpetual right-wing bug bear of "Political Correctness", possibly gone mad?

Yes. But I do have my suspicions the beeb might be a little selective and double standardy (my word, so there) in bad taste broadcasting depending on who got offended: say if "another one bites the dust" had made number one in Israel for example after Arafat died a few years ago, and the popularity spread to the UK.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,049
    Despite what I said about people buying this song being immature and tasteless, I still defend their right to buy it and the BBC's right to play it. (In any event, it will only sell more if they ban it).

We don't want to get into that daft situation like in the Gulf War when the Beeb banned songs that 'might have been insensitive' like 'In the air tonight' by Phil Collins ?? Given what's going on in Korea I'd hate not being able to listen to 'Atomic' by Blondie or anything by the B-52's :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • as it is, they're only going to be playing a 5 second clip on the top 40 (or whatever it's called now) and give an explanation
  • rick_chasey
    In short. Blair. Conviction politician. See iraq...

That would include getting Campbell to sex up the WMD dossier.

=/= conviction politician, at least IMO.

Really? I read that as 'convinced to go to war. Parliament less so. Sex up dos so it goes through' convinced enough to exaggerate to get what he wants.
  • Big_Paul
    Big_Paul Posts: 277
    Considering the amount of tasteless crap the BBC has shown these past few years and expected us to cough up £145 a year for the privilege, I think they should play the song, regardless of the context it was bought in. They will happily play the biggest load of offensive unintelligible garbage on R1 so why stop now?

I have to laugh at the fawning from "Celebrities" over her death. That old ginger one from the Spice Girls soon pulled her twitter post and the bloke from Duran Duran conveniently forgot the song on his 1985 album mocking Maggie. I suppose folk have a different view when they're trying to resurrect a failing career than they do when their cash is safely in the bank.
    Disc Trucker
    Kona Ute
    Rockrider 8.1
    Evil Resident
    Day 01 Disc
    Viking Derwent Tandem
    Planet X London Road
  • Big_Paul wrote:
    Considering the amount of tasteless crap the BBC has shown these past few years and expected us to cough up £145 a year for the privilege, I think they should play the song, regardless of the context it was bought in. They will happily play the biggest load of offensive unintelligible garbage on R1 so why stop now?

I have to laugh at the fawning from "Celebrities" over her death. That old ginger one from the Spice Girls soon pulled her twitter post and the bloke from Duran Duran conveniently forgot the song on his 1985 album mocking Maggie. I suppose folk have a different view when they're trying to resurrect a failing career than they do when their cash is safely in the bank.
    Or when they are f***ing loaded and don't wan't to rock the boat. Rock and roll eh?
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Looks like Maggie has had the last laugh, despite a big campaign, not enough people were prepared to stump up the 79p needed.

As for Balir, he would say/do anything to get a vote, may have been a long period of growth, but we will now be in the longest recession since 1945 because of it.....poor trade off.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • tailwindhome
    Watched The Iron Lady t'other night.

Pish.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Looks like Maggie has had the last laugh, despite a big campaign, not enough people were prepared to stump up the 79p needed.

How do you work that out? According to BBC website 52,605 copies of Ding Dong were sold as opposed to 8,768 copies of "I'm In Love With Margaret Thatcher". Democratically speaking I'd say that was a win to the haters by a ratio of 6:1.

If anything a 1 min 32 sec Newsbeat report rather than playing the entire 51 sec song exposed how divisive a figure Mrs T was.
    I can never get the left's hatred of Thatcher, they believe in Democracy andshe was voted in by a majority ......, so they should celebrate her premiership as a victory for democracy even if they disagree with what she did.

Glad you agree in democracy. Surely is only appropriate to celebrate this outcome, for everyone to hum the first couple of bars to "Ding Dong" every day for the next 4 years , before we can once more put the matter before the Great British Public? :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    As for Thatcher being voted in by a majority, is that the case? Has any government in recent years actually had a strict majority? Maybe in her own constituency, but I don't think any government has had close to 50% of the vote in the past 60 years. Certainly not since the 70s or early 80s, when the "third party" started getting a reasonable proportion of the votes. I was most upset when the British public voted against our one chance at any sort of AV or PR for the forseeable future. I wouldn't mind so much if any party ever actually did get more than half of the vote.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    You might not care for the old bat - as many of you clearly don't - but it's not possible to argue that as a country we don't do a decent funeral. Stirring stuff on the wireless now; I wish I could see it on the box.
  • tailwindhome
    Good God. A black woman!
  • tailwindhome
    It's going down well in Leeds too.

BIC_UQiCUAArbmP.jpg:large
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    It's going down well in Leeds too.

BIC_UQiCUAArbmP.jpg:large

:lol:

Three people, and judging bythe stick the guy in the middle is blind...
  • rick_chasey
    Watching the coffin convoy go down embankment in classic scr territory.

Conclusion. Thatcher. Red light jumper.
  • stu-bim
    stu-bim Posts: 384
    Watching the coffin convoy go down embankment in classic scr territory.

Conclusion. Thatcher. Red light jumper.

Is she own Strava?
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon