H Plus Son Archetype build

13»

Comments

• duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    Asprilla wrote:
    I posted an image on the previous page showing the worn brake track.

So you did, thanks.
    Cheers, Stu
  • xloly
    xloly Posts: 140
    Hi there,

I'm having ugo build me some of these for my new bike and am just thinking about colour schemes.
    Does anyone have any images of them in either polished or gunmetal on a ti frame??

Decisions decisions...
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    xloly wrote:
    Hi there,

I'm having ugo build me some of these for my new bike and am just thinking about colour schemes.
    Does anyone have any images of them in either polished or gunmetal on a ti frame??

Decisions decisions...

The polished ones I posted earlier are going on a TI frame. Unfortunately the frame us going to the welders for a repair so no pictures until I start building it back up next week. I did have the wheels in the frame to check the skewers were long enough and they do look amazing.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • xloly
    Ah nice one. Thanks for the reply.

Will bite the bullet and get them ordered!

Pics to follow in May!
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    xloly wrote:
    Ah nice one. Thanks for the reply.

Will bite the bullet and get them ordered!

Pics to follow in May!

All Archetype are now out of stock until the second week of May... I have just spoken to the distributor
    left the forum March 2023
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Well I have put my order in already I don't want them to sell ot again!
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    xloly wrote:
    Hi there,

Decisions decisions...

I do, if you're interested still (polished rims on ti frame)
  • ugo.santalucia
    Well I have put my order in already I don't want them to sell ot again!

At BLB probably keep a small stock for their own builds... it's crazy... I start seeing Archetype rims everywhere on the roads... it's a BOOM!!
  • asprilla
    They are so, like, yesterday.

I see them mentioned in pretty much every wheel build thread which conflicts me. On one hand I had mine built last spring from what was apparently the first batch into the country and I has hoping they would be something quite exclusive, but on the other hand it mean that for once I early adopted an outstanding product.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • xloly
    Bandwagon wheels?
  • they are revolutionary! :-)
  • moscowflyer
    moscowflyer Posts: 540
    Crap, does this mean I need to now get something a bit more obscure built instead and banish the Archetypes to the commuter bike??
  • forgotrafe
    forgotrafe Posts: 637
    I have just had some hard grey Archetypes wheels built for a ti frame. If you want a picture PM me. They are slightly greeny grey, but I like it.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Crap, does this mean I need to now get something a bit more obscure built instead and banish the Archetypes to the commuter bike??

They would not be my choice rim on a commuting bike... the wearing part of the rim is not the thickest in the world, which means the life of the rim in winter and wet conditions is possibly not particularly long. My money would be on a more humble set of Ambrosio Excursion or Evolution, which incidentally are ace and cost half the money
  • moscowflyer
    moscowflyer Posts: 540

They would not be my choice rim on a commuting bike... the wearing part of the rim is not the thickest in the world, which means the life of the rim in winter and wet conditions is possibly not particularly long. My money would be on a more humble set of Ambrosio Excursion or Evolution, which incidentally are ace and cost half the money

It was a bit of a tongue in cheek comment to be honest :wink:

You're not getting any more of my money. Just yet anyway... :D
  • yellowv2
    yellowv2 Posts: 282
    huuregeil wrote:
    VeloJay,

Can I suggest looking at PMP hubs? They're not super light (about 110g front, 280g rear, from memory) but... they're super well made, reliable and extremely smooth, have good flange geometry at the rear, have chunky front flanges suitable for radial lacing without any drama, come in a variety of drillings/colours, and can be had for juist over £200 (i.e. much less than Chris Kings!) direct from Italy. I'm extremely happy with mine, I'm surprised I don't see more of these about. I run mine on archetypes, 24/28, lasers radial at the front, and 2x laser/comp at the rear - these are really great wheels, total do it all wheelset, racing, sportives, etc. in all weathers. I'm 70kg and these are plenty stiff for me, could even have gone 20/24 I reckon (but I like a bit of margin!).

PS one more point to consider on the hub quality/reliability thing... if you're racing, and training, and have a job and life, then that doesn't leave much spare time in the week. The worst thing (well not quite, but you know what i mean!) is to have your trick wheels go up the spout midway through the season because a) it becomes a pain to fix and b) you can't use them for your next race! Reliability counts here.

huuregeil,

I'm the same weight as you and am thinking of having Ugo build me exactly the same wheels. Do you have any pics/weight info?
  • Hi all, I know this thread has been dormant for a while now, but have enjoyed reading peoples views on spokes and tension and breakages. The engineering viewpoint is especially interesting to me even though I am certainly not one.

I am consider a dura ace 9000 and archetype build as a summer commuter wheelset (mine is not at normal commute at 53km each way into London from Woking) but I'm questioning whether that is the best choice of rim. Spokes will likely be Sapim Race black or CX-Ray if I want to push the boat out. I will be building these myself as my 7th pair of wheels (really enjoying building wheels).

Any thoughts on rim choice, archetype or other? Weight is a consideration but not critical as long as it's around 400g a rim.
  • mavic open pro.

(lighter at 430gr, thicker brake tracks, comfort, strength, width, ideal allround commuter rim)

even lighter Stan alpha 340 at 385gr (or the stiffer 400 at 420gr) but twice the price

Archetype at 470gr are a little bit in between those, also price wise.

dura ace 9000 should be ace.

good luck with your build!
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Mavic open Pro brake track is not thicker but it is a bit softer still a good rim though. weight averages around 440g though.

The only wide rim that is 400g is the Ryde Pulse Sprint. 18mm internal width but about 20mm deep. 28H and 32H srillings with an offset version for the rear. I cannot say more about these rims as they brand new to the world. Will be getting my first ones on Monday.

The archetype rim is simily excellent and I would not worry about the weight. It is 470g for a good reason, thick spoke nipple bed so cracking is very unlikely and it is very stiff. What ever you do do not build a Open Pro rim with CX-rays spokes - flexible is how I would describe that build. Open Pro's are best built with Sapim Race/DT comps. Dura ace 9000 hubs are sublime. Enjoy!
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    048F3F4D-7D6F-44B9-BEF3-8C13DBA53215-1633-0000016D24C2DDF9_zpsafb60e76.jpg

What size/model are thoose tyres they look big?
  • Moonbiker wrote:

That should be Schwalbe Durano 28-622

on a wide rim they size up big of course!
  • asprilla
    Moonbiker wrote:

That should be Schwalbe Durano 28-622

on a wide rim they size up big of course!

They are 25s, not 28s. I rode them to work this morning.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3