Nod,wave or hello?

Davdandy
Davdandy Posts: 571
edited April 2013 in Road general
Just thought i would ask you chaps and chapesses if you acknowledge other riders on your travels.

If i see a rider i tend to nod,sometimes even a hello and it is nice to get one back.Mountain bikers i leave alone,don't know if that is elitist or not but i just past them,unless of course they nod back but they never do so i ignore them.

Some have waved at me and of course some do nothing.I just wondered what other do when passing another cyclist.
Cannondale CAAD 8 105
Rockrider 8.1

Comments

• Azhar
    Azhar Posts: 247
    i wave. i like to put some effort in to my hellos to my fellow cyclists. if there are no cars going past...i'll say goodmorning/afternoon/evening. if nobody nods back or says hello i secretly swear at them when im riding away. makes me feel betta.
  • charliew87
    charliew87 Posts: 371
    Depends where I am. On quiet roads without many cyclists I'll make a lot more effort than somewhere like Richmond Park where if you say hi to every cyclist you won't have enough air left in your lungs with which to breathe.
    Canyon AL Ultimate 9.0
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Generally a hi from me, if I'm riding hard then the hands might not come off the bars but a nod too, if I'm free to do so I tend wave my hand. Don't really care what the other person is riding I try to be polite to all users really only exception would be after a handle bar chewing climb in which case a wave of the hand might be all the energy I can spare.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    If they're coming the other way then I'll nod, unless it's off the beaten track in which case I might say hi if there's time.

If I overtake them, I'll quite often say 'good morning' or similar.

If they overtake me, especially if up a hill with a big speed margin, I'll usually just slay them on the spot with my built in laser. Assuming I'm not breathing so hard I can't get to the switch in time.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Davdandy
    I was having a ride yesterday and on one long road where i was taking it easy and conserving some energy three riders overtook me,nothing wrong there but all three said nothing,funny thing was that after a mile they had only gained a hundred yards in front of me,a part of me wanted to catch them up and return the `gesture` but i took a left turn and ignored them.

Doesn't hurt does it to say `hi`.?
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    I will say hello to anyone who I pass and is doing an activity - cyclists of all denominations, horsey folks, runners and even walkers (quite rural around here).

Why wouldn't you?

The problem is, after years of a motorcycle, stopping nodding at every motorbiker!
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    This old chestnut again! Usually it features on the beginners forum - but I'm seeing more and more of these topics appearing on the general forum!

I nod or wave at everyone - even MTB's and granny's with shopping baskets! Many of my mates ride on the road and MTB's we are all the same! What I will say though is that I don't commute on the bike which could be annoying nodding and waving at everyone!
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • It varies, if it's to a cyclist on the other side of the road its a nod or occassionally a wave depending on what sort of cyclist they look like, age etc.. or if i'm overtaking someone its usually a "morning" or "afternoon".
  • Davdandy
    TheFD wrote:
    This old chestnut again! Usually it features on the beginners forum - but I'm seeing more and more of these topics appearing on the general forum!

Just a bit of Wednesday afternoon chit-chat is all.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • ThatBikeGuy
    ThatBikeGuy Posts: 394
    Commuting i'm an ignorant sod and don't acknowledge anybody. :lol:
    Out on the more casual rides i tend to wave maybe a quick "mornin" thats about all, doesn't matter to me what kind of transport they are on be it two, three wheels or four legs.
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • A nod from me and if its quiet I will say hi, I do like the community spirit cycling brings
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    Cyclists, MTB's, Runners, Walkers, Horse Rider's - They all get a nod/wave(raised fingers from brake lever if on the drops)/'hello' from me.

Funny considering i am a miserable sod in real life.
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    Anyone on a bike gets atleast a nod or "good morning, etc" if I'm overtaking.
    On some of the small cornish lanes I'll greet cars with a wave or a nod just as a thanks for slowing down so I can hold my speed as we go past.
  • Davdandy
    edited April 2013
    Peat wrote:
    raised fingers from brake lever if on the drops

Funny considering i am a miserable sod in real life.

Does anyone notice a raised finger?

I`m too busy huffing and puffing.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • You should always give your fellow cyclists a wave or something. I hate bike snobbery out on the road. i tend to find if someone has a better bike than me then they don't bother saying anything. I always give someone a wave and feel bad if I don't, Just like you should ask someone who has pulled over with a punture or mechanical if they need a hand.
  • goffski
    goffski Posts: 72
    I always nod, wave or say hello to cyclists, joggers or horse riders but it does amaze me how many cyclists there are that just keep looking straight ahead and don't even flinch.
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Generally just a wave nowadays, use to say good morning but as I've been setting out on rides later I ended up confusing myself as to whether it was morning or afternoon, and by the time I'd checked my garmin to find out, the rider coming the other way would be about half a mile behind me
  • Raffles
    Raffles Posts: 1,137
    I usually give a wave to say hello to other road cyclists, mtb`ers when they see a roadie tend to be ignorant sods so I just ignore em back.
    2012 Cannondale CAAD 8 105
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Depends how close and how fast you are going. If you are in the town and going slowly say hello. If you are cruising by wave or raise a hand. If I am screaming past like I have a rocket up my arse then I would be lucky to even notice anyone else as I am pretty much gripping onto the bike with all i've got
  • canny_lad
    canny_lad Posts: 329
    goffski wrote:
    I always nod, wave or say hello to cyclists, joggers or horse riders but it does amaze me how many cyclists there are that just keep looking straight ahead and don't even flinch.

^^ this
  • marylogic
    marylogic Posts: 355
    edited April 2013
    If it looks like they're going to say hello, a simple "hi". If they look like they're contemplating ignoring me a loud "morning" or "hello"

I say hello to all cyclists regardless of what they're riding, and sometimes walkers and horse riders (although more often I say "thanks" if they get out the way)

I once accidentally said hello to a motorcyclist - it was the end of a long ride and I got a bit confused. Fair play to him though, he said hello back.
  • shmo
    shmo Posts: 321
    Always acknowledge other cyclists in the most conspicuous manner possible since reading the threads like this on the forum. It's the only way to be safe given how angry some people get about it. Don't want to get shanked with a bike pump because someone thought I was ignoring him due to cheap bike, trade kit, no helmet, hairy legs etc etc.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Nod again, wave done this one loads of times, come hello high water it appears every few months. :D

Basically what ever you like. If people do not whish to then so what.

Cycling is fun, so just have fun. 8)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • ianbz
    ianbz Posts: 27
    As goffski wrote:
    I always nod, wave or say hello to cyclists, joggers or horse riders but it does amaze me how many cyclists there are that just keep looking straight ahead and don't even flinch. Ignorant c#*#$
  • Peter91
    Peter91 Posts: 16
    Someone gave me a wave and a nod today, but I was about 10 minutes from total failure, even downhill I barely managed a nod. Felt guilty afterwards, but what can you do!
  • apjs87
    apjs87 Posts: 35
    Try to do all 3 to all riders. Some just completely blank you but a lot of cyclists really appreciate it
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Not if they're riding a Trek :wink:
  • apjs87
    apjs87 Posts: 35
    I cycle with Trek owners. Very awkward talking to them now haha
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Done 45miles today didn,t see another cyclist.If I do I always wave, say hello and most reply in kind.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • A nod you can usually guess if they will nod back depending on what they are wearing and riding!