Vuelta al Pais Vasco 2013 *SPOILERS*

Comments

• danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    mroli wrote:
    This poor sod is going to get caught in about 2km....

Hope he has some left in the tank for this climb only another few K's to go. Chapeau to him either way though as a good attack from the peloton & again from the lead group.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    GC riders are absolute lightweights here. Contador included.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • danlikesbikes
    GC riders are absolute lightweights here. Contador included.

Bert to attack over the top, might be his only chance I think?
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I don't think Contador wants to attack - he'll reckon on taking Porte in the TT?
  • danlikesbikes
    mroli wrote:
    I don't think Contador wants to attack - he'll reckon on taking Porte in the TT?

Think my money would be on Porte in the TT, Bert looks strong but not able to put out as much sustained power or repeated attacks as in previous years therefore unlikely to be strong enough in TT IMHO
  • danlikesbikes
    Anyone know if Bert just got dropped?

Porte off the front on his own with 1km's to go
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Is porte about to do a Froome?
  • danlikesbikes
    Sky win with Porte & the sun comes out
  • frenchfighter
    Porte has dropped Quintana and Contador :roll:
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tremayne
    tremayne Posts: 378
    Go go go Porte!!
  • danlikesbikes

Too much messing around and watching each other - good win by Porte & poor poor race craft from the rest
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Cue total meltdown at CN HQ. :P
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Love Porte's one handed celebrations
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,243
    On the flat whislt they were watching each other. Not really sure that warrants raised eyes.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Other teams need a massive kick up the bum.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • frenchfighter
    What a rubbish stage.

Porte just stepped up to GC dominance like Froom did at Vuelta 11 :roll:

I have no idea what I am watching. Racing is so shite these days. I miss years gone by.

Contador needs to re-find his balls.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Weening is still up there. Not a bad TT rider, but Porte has beaten him 14 out of the 18 times they have met.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • danlikesbikes
    Other teams need a massive kick up the bum.

Think they just got one from Sky, but your right can imagine several DS's going a bit mad at that finish as looked pretty poor to me
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    Seems to be a pretty level playing field at the mo, don't know why! Marginal gains seems to be making the difference.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    DeadCalm wrote:
    On the flat whislt they were watching each other. Not really sure that warrants raised eyes.

:roll: at a pro peloton that gets thrashed by 4 Sky guys despite a powerful breakaway, and plenty of numbers in reserve sheltering in the group. That was pathetic.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Porte didn't exactly come out of nowhere. Seems to have been making progress every year since his breakout Giro in 2010 (when he was a neo-pro). Certainly not as out of the blue as Froome, who looked like nothing more than a strong domestique until the 2011 Vuelta.

If Porte wins it will be because he raced smart and took his opportunities where he could, simple as that.

Other teams can't sit on their hands and moan about Sky's dominance, they need to be braver. Sky can be beaten, just not by sitting in the wheels and attacking in the last few KM.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Macaloon wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:

:roll: at a pro peloton that gets thrashed by 4 Sky guys despite a powerful breakaway, and plenty of numbers in reserve sheltering in the group. That was pathetic.

^ wot Maca says
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,243
    The disappointing thing here has been that (assuming Porte does take the win) Sky haven't so much won this race as the other teams have lost it. Very disappointed in the total lack of ambition from a GC perspective shown by all the other teams.
  • Porte rapidly earning a GC ride in the Vuelta with his performances this year - assuming he doesn't get to step up in the Giro/Tour supporting Wiggo or Froome.
  • danlikesbikes
    Macaloon wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:

^ wot Maca says

^-^ Tend to agree - Sky winning by riding hard & well when needed, others sitting on the Sky tails and getting nowhere whilst looking at each other & making themselves look pretty p poor.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    I dont know what Surdave's paying Kiryienka but feck its worth every penny to Sky. Zandio and Lopez too

Biggest laugh was when Kiryienka, having pulled the peloton night and day, got affronted by a Carrot having the cheek to go past him to take it ahead of him around 8-9km to go, and got back on the front sharpish
  • Good to see Zandio back with some form - what happened to him last year?
  • What's the GC like? And what of Peraud? Barely saw any of the race on a crapulent stream.
    Porte didn't exactly come out of nowhere. Seems to have been making progress every year since his breakout Giro in 2010 (when he was a neo-pro). Certainly not as out of the blue as Froome, who looked like nothing more than a strong domestique until the 2011 Vuelta.
    Aye, 08 Tour of Tassie onwards, where he dominated, he's been touted as special in Australia. Then won an MTF or hilly stage in Friuli and TT in the Girobio (though someone who watches them would know better about the Italian amateur races).

He does seem to relish a cosy environment. Flopped in 07 with a disorganised amateur team in Italy and again in 2012 with Contador's arrival and thriving at Praties and Sky.