Are here different types of Ultegra Cassette ?

13»

Comments

• declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    My dad's bike (Giant TCR Composite 1) is 'Full Ultegra' but has a 105 cassette and chain. There's probably no noticable difference between 105 and Ultegra cassettes/chains so he's not bothered. It's probably a good thing they've saved money there and not on some rubbish Tektro brakes or something...

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited March 2013
    I'm glad you said that, and not me declan :D

Apparently the Tektro ones are great as long as you change the pads though. They make really good brakes but decide to put sh1t pads in for some reason :roll:
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Carbonator wrote:
    OK, its an 'S' :oops:

Insert relevant witty strap line from a well known national opticians here "....................................." :lol:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Is there really a difference in brakes ?
    In my work there is huge amounts but on a lever and pad ?
    Living MY dream.
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    VTech wrote:

I have noticed huge gains with better levers and calipers. My bike originally had the cheapest levers I had ever seen, and they flexed so much that I could squeeze as hard as I could and not much would happen. Calipers also make a difference with stiffer arms that transmit more energy into braking.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    VTech wrote:

Quality cable inners, outers and pads will be most noticable.

A caliper is pretty much a caliper (except the really cheap ones).
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • plumpy
    plumpy Posts: 124
    VTech wrote:

Well there's your solution. Next time, tell the vendor that if they try to fob you off with a lower gruppo cassette, you won't stand for it, but if they'd like to stick any old callipers on so as to hit the price point instead, you won't mind a bit.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    plumpy wrote:
    VTech wrote:

Well there's your solution. Next time, tell the vendor that if they try to fob you off with a lower gruppo cassette, you won't stand for it, but if they'd like to stick any old callipers on so as to hit the price point instead, you won't mind a bit.

There sure are some childish people here.
    Living MY dream.
  • Anonymous
    I did find it a bit odd that you dismissed quality machining, materials, design and aesthetics etc. VTech.
    By comparison I would have thought the chain/cassette would be almost immaterial so plumpy has a point (and any childishness is in keeping with forum :wink: )

I appreciate its mainly the feeling of being robbed that you have issue with though.

I am thinking full 105 for my next road bike. Either that or try some Campag.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    In my experience, there's a surprising amount of difference in braking power for different callipers and levers. But latest Ultegra feels the same as Dura Ace for me, by contrast the very cheapest callipers feel sloppy and lacking in power.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    edited March 2013
    VTech wrote:

This may be worth a read, the panic stop distance certainly varies. I suspect they used the standard pads provided though which makes it kind of void.

http://www.eecycleworks.com/VNJune%20BrakeTest.pdf
  • Anonymous
    Have always freely admitted to being a wheel snob, and think now is a good time to come out as a brake snob :oops:
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    dodgy wrote:
    In my experience, there's a surprising amount of difference in braking power for different callipers and levers. But latest Ultegra feels the same as Dura Ace for me, by contrast the very cheapest callipers feel sloppy and lacking in power.

I have 6700 on one Foil and 7900 on the other. There is no contest. The only thing that would get me to ditch 7900 is 9000.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Grill wrote:
    dodgy wrote:

I have 6700 on one Foil and 7900 on the other. There is no contest. The only thing that would get me to ditch 7900 is 9000.

Fair enough, but there are lots of variables. Rim quality, how clean the rim is etc. The biggest improvement on brake feel I've ever noticed is going from Shimano RS80 to Carbone SL rims, the Carbones seem to almost grab at the pads, the braking force is immense! Same callipers for both rims.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Same wheels, same pads (I swap around all the time). Only difference are the calipers and shifters.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg