Are here different types of Ultegra Cassette ?

VTech
VTech Posts: 4,736
edited March 2013 in Road general
I have a Felt bike, it came with Ultegra 11-25 original cassette and I have just fitted an Ultegra 12-28 to my carbon wheels but they are totally different in design which made me wonder if all was right.

here are the pics.

Original Ultegra top and wiggle ultegra bottom.
15952027.jpg

Felt Ultegra front. 11-25
44882523.jpg

Wiggle Ultegra front. 12-28
18666303.jpg

Something doesnt seem right to me so wanted your opinion please.
Living MY dream.

Comments

• NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463
    The one supplied on your Felt is a Tiagra 4600 series cassette, the one you purchsaed from Wiggle is an Ultegra 6700 series cassette. Will work just fine.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    do they both fit? If yes, no issue.
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Yeah looks like that - the cassette is often where the manufacturer will save some money and substitute a lower range part compared to the rest of the groupset.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    NewTTer wrote:
    The one supplied on your Felt is a Tiagra 4600 series cassette, the one you purchsaed from Wiggle is an Ultegra 6700 series cassette. Will work just fine.

This. Very common practice as even my DA equipped Plasma came with an Ultegra cassette.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    But ask for £40 back off Felt :-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Planet X do this a lot...

They advertise a given groupset on a bike at a great price, and when you look closely the chain / brakes / cassette etc are from cheaper lines.

And even if they are all ultegra, there are newer versions. SRAM have just brought out a new Red cassette that is nothing like the existing red one. Both are for sale, as "red".
  • VTech
    Im gutted, How can they sell the bike as Ultegra and supply with tiagra ?
    Surely thats fraud ?
    Living MY dream.
  • NewTTer
    What bike was it and where did you buy it?
  • Grill
    I believe he has a 2012 Felt AR4. Specs list the chain as "Shimano 11-25T".
  • VTech
    Its an AR4 and I got it direct from Felt Germany.
    Its a 2013.
    Living MY dream.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    VTech wrote:
    Surely thats fraud ?

Probably listed in the component spec somewhere or has a suitable wording to allow them to substitute parts due to availabilty blah blah blah....

But still ask for £40 back :-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • NewTTer
    Grill wrote:
    I believe he has a 2012 Felt AR4. Specs list the chain as "Shimano 11-25T".
    Absolutely correct, no mention of it being an Ultegra cassette in the spec listing for that bike

edit: and thats is for the 2013 too, just states Shimano 11-25
  • VTech
    Thats crafty and all for the sake of a few quid. I can never understand why people/companies play these tricks.
    Living MY dream.
  • Grill
    It's a ubiquitous cost-saving measure in the industry. As nice as it would be to have had DA cassette on my Plasma would I have paid an extra 100 quid for it if given the choice? Nope.
  • Scrumple
    It has got ultegra, just not a full Ultegra groupset - you'll know next time, although it isn't anything to worry about as the price you got it for would have reflected the savings.

This is normal.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    It's also perfectly sane - Ultegra shifters - probably worth it, everyone gets the benefit - ultegra cassette, probably not for most given that it'll wear out pretty rapidly (compared to the shifters)
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Scrumple
    Just an example for you

This Sram Red road bike has a KMC chain, FSA crank, and a "Force" (1070) cassette.

You do get the mechs, shifters and brakes, though!

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBP ... _road_bike
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited March 2013
    My DA Focus had an ultegra cassette (which I knew about) and I got another for my other set of wheels.

Odd thing was that the spacers have 105 on them? Friend said his 105 cassette had Tiagra spacers lol

What spacers do your Tiagra and ultra cassettes have VTech?

Might get DA chain/cassette when they wear out :D

The Ultegra and Tiagra look very different quality in those pics.
  • VTech
    Well, I initially thought they said 10S but I guess they are really 105 :)
    Living MY dream.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    edited March 2013
    My BMC came with full SRAM red so it does happen sometimes that the full groupset is used.

However, I have since 'upgraded' the cassette to a SRAM Force PG1070 because it shifts better!

Edit, scratch that because the brakes are TRP 970SL, which are lighter and more expensive than the SRAM red brakes, so I am not complaining.
  • Anonymous
    On both?

When did you start your weight loss? Guessing its you, not the bike ;-)

(crossed thread, it was reply to VTech) :oops:
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    How did you keep the first cassette so shiny?
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    It is sneaky - but I can see why they do it!
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    i'd not worry about it. tiagra is fine and as its not much heavier than the ultegra and will last as long, who cares....
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    VTech wrote:
    Surely thats fraud ?

Oh come on! You're not really 'gutted' are you? There's things worth feeling gutted about - not having an Ultegra cassette shouldn't be one of them!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    "Specifications subject to change without notice" - nuff said.
  • VTech
    I'm not gutted about a cassette, I'm gutted that they do this. It just shows how the customer is viewed and for a few quid I believe it isn't worth the ill feeling.
    I have always given the highest level of service and value my work to the highest order and would never compromise, it's the way I am and has never done me harm.

My weight loss started in January but I've let myself down a few times at weddings and travelling away.
    Living MY dream.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    VTech wrote:
    I'm not gutted about a cassette, I'm gutted that they do this. It just shows how the customer is viewed and for a few quid I believe it isn't worth the ill feeling.

It is a bit crappy - but (and not that this justifies it) it is no different to eg the likes of Cadbury downsizing the content of their chocolate bars. Bikes are sold at price points and with component price inflation significant the only way to keep bikes at the same price points is to downgrade certain components. Sometimes this results in the buyer ending up with the odd inferior component in functional terms (eg a heavier cassette) and sometimes they end up with as good a component but with an inferior label (eg a new Tiagra groupset replacing the 105 of the previous model but which is apparently effectively the same thing).

Either the companies increase the price of the bike or they lower the spec. The customer seems always to prefer the latter.

The solution to the problem is to get a bike built to your spec - then you can spec every single component. And note it can work the other way. When I bought my Campagnolo Centaur equipped Look 585, there was a shortage of some componentry so I ended up with Record front and rear mechs for no extra cost. My Ribble (also Centaur)ended up with a Record chain. Go to a shop like Epic Cycles and you'll get what you ask for.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Grill
    There's no reason for you or anyone else to harbour ill feeling. It's an industry-wide practice based upon supply as well as cost which is driven by the consumer. Consumers are always complaining about price, so in order to placate said customers the logical option is to downgrade the least essential components. It's not like they're misrepresenting their product as they never say the cassette is anything other than what it is.

Keep in mind this is a two-way street as if supply runs out they will upgrade components to ship the product. My last Foil came with a WCS headset instead of the specced Pro and I bought a Trek 1500 that was a mix of 105 and Ultegra because they'd run out of 105 components.
  • Anonymous
    VTech wrote:
    I have always given the highest level of service and value my work to the highest order and would never compromise, it's the way I am and has never done me harm.

My weight loss started in January but I've let myself down a few times at weddings and travelling away.

It is annoying I agree. Guess you could get LBS to upgrade them at point of sale (i.e. do a deal) if you knew about it, but annoying to find out later if you did not.
    I changed a few bits on mine and was not too bothered about cassette/chain as I knew they would not last forever. They were good enough until an upgrade, and it would make the upgrade more fun :-)

I have found the 5:2 diet works well for me. 2lb minimum loss per week and not affected by birthdays and weddings etc. I am not drinking at the moment to be fair, but not doing any real training either.
    Just had a big Nando's but do not feel as though I have cheated. Nearly a stone gone and one more to go.