Are here different types of Ultegra Cassette ?

Comments

• thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    I wouldn't normally expect an Ultegra cassette on a bike just because it has other Ultegra components. However, the Felt website does state that the bike has "a Shimano Ultegra drivetrain" which I would take to include cassette. And chain for that matter...

I'd be more gutted that I'd bought such an ugly bike though! ;)
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    dont look at what chain they threw on it either ;)
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    You snooze, you lose.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    some companies tell you what each of the components are, some don't, if they don't actually specify, you should always ask.

I know specs change across the period of the build as they run out of bits, but if you know what to expect, and it gets delivered without the pieces they specified then that would be the time to ask them about it.

I was told white spokes, they turned up black with two white spokes marking the valve location (which I preferred) so pointed this out, they apologised and refunded £40 :D

(CRC)
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    thegibdog wrote:
    However, the Felt website does state that the bike has "a Shimano Ultegra drivetrain" which I would take to include cassette. And chain for that matter...

That changes things a little I would say. If that's what they said when VTech bought the bike, then he should expect an Ultegra drivetrain. Not an Ultegra/Tiagra mix drivetrain. I can't see anyone successfully arguing that the cassette and chain aren't part of the drivetrain!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463
    Rolf F wrote:
    thegibdog wrote:
    However, the Felt website does state that the bike has "a Shimano Ultegra drivetrain" which I would take to include cassette. And chain for that matter...

That changes things a little I would say. If that's what they said when VTech bought the bike, then he should expect an Ultegra drivetrain. Not an Ultegra/Tiagra mix drivetrain. I can't see anyone successfully arguing that the cassette and chain aren't part of the drivetrain!
    Why? The spec list for the bike does not say an Ultegra Cassette, it just states Shimano 11-25, where Ultegra parts are supplied it specifies them as Ultegra, just needs the buyer to read the spec list before buying.
    Felt have doen nothing wrong here at all

http://www.feltbicycles.com/United-King ... s/AR4.aspx
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    NewTTer wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    thegibdog wrote:

Why? The spec list for the bike does not say an Ultegra Cassette, it just states Shimano 11-25, where Ultegra parts are supplied it specifies them as Ultegra, just needs the buyer to read the spec list before buying.
    Felt have doen nothing wrong here at all

http://www.feltbicycles.com/United-King ... s/AR4.aspx

My post was started to ask if there were different types of Ultegra as I didnt know either way. Im gutted only that they use tactics to save a few quid. As I have said, its served me well to be totally honest in my line of work simply because at a later date ive no worries about people questioning me. Im surprised companies dont work like this and before its mentioned again that I should have read the spec list, im not sure anyone can argue the way its written is meant to deceive.
    Living MY dream.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Gutted, or just a bit miffed?
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    The words Ultegra are definitley missing just at the right point in the descriptions within that link.

It is very easy to be hoodwinked though as Ultegra is mentioned lots, just not before the very item in question (where it just states Shimano).

Hardly a criminal offence but sneaky none the less.

Vtec - speak to them and ask for £40 :-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • VTech
    dodgy wrote:

OK, maybe a bad choice of word, miffed, upset, pi$$ed ?
    Its just not british !!
    Living MY dream.
  • rolf_f
    smidsy wrote:
    The words Ultegra are definitley missing just at the right point in the descriptions within that link.

It is very easy to be hoodwinked though as Ultegra is mentioned lots, just not before the very item in question (where it just states Shimano).

Hardly a criminal offence but sneaky none the less.

Vtec - speak to them and ask for £40 :-)

Yes - do this.
    VTech wrote:
    dodgy wrote:

OK, maybe a bad choice of word, miffed, upset, pi$$ed ?
    Its just not british !!

Peeved is good.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    VTech wrote:
    Its just not british !!

Felt is an American brand.
  • VTech
    Imposter wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    Its just not british !!

I know. hence my comment of its just not british in answer to the way I was duped :)
    Living MY dream.
  • imposter2.0
    VTech wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    Its just not british !!

I know. hence my comment of its just not british in answer to the way I was duped :)

'British' brands do exactly the same thing.
  • VTech
    Im sure they all do, I know its just the way it is but it doesnt make it right. I cant believe that so many people just accept it as being right (Almost all of my trouble on this forum came from a similar post when I first joined about how much I felt (no pun) were ripped off as will all forms of exercise) and not only do people accept it, many often defend the companies as if it were right.

Its quite laughable really.
    Living MY dream.
  • plumpy
    plumpy Posts: 124
    Just a quick practical point to distract you from your outrage and grief - the 4600 and 6700 cassettes are different widths. There will not be a spacer behind the 4600 on the freehub, as it doesn't need one. The 6700 will be supplied with a thin spacer, which needs to be installed behind the cassette.

IMHO the sneaky downgrade which really grates is non-groupset brakes, where there can be a real performance difference.
  • imposter2.0
    plumpy wrote:
    IMHO the sneaky downgrade which really grates is non-groupset brakes, where there can be a real performance difference.

^^ agreed - if people are intent on getting upset, they should get upset about this instead.
  • VTech
    Why do people think im outraged and full of grief ? As you can see from post 1, I was already changing the cassette, and then on my post above where you guys seem to fight the corner of those clearly ripping you off.
    I real countless posts where you guys are trying to save money on components and struggle to maintain yet are happy to be hoodwinked, surely there lyes the problem ?
    Living MY dream.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Few things are done correctly these days.
    I think the only problem is not knowing about it and feeling cheated. Lots on here are not hoodwinked because we know they do it.

The companies are forced to do this by the public. IME the public are worse than the companies so I do not blame them for doing what they have to, to sell a bike.

You will know better next time and can give Felt a miss if you feel that strongly about it.
    I would be tempted to fire off an email if it said 'drivetrain' and had no crap about 'subject to change'.
    But just lick your wounds and seek revenge later if they are unhelpful.

Use your anger to wisely. Ride the bike long and fast, that way you will soon need a new chain/cassette and be lb's lighter ;-)

Could not agree more about brakes. I would rather have better brakes than derailleurs to be honest.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    The worst price point for this malarkey is £1000, it's the all important cycle scheme ceiling. They have to keep it one penny below, so year on year parts get substituted to keep under.
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    Carbonator wrote:
    The companies are forced to do this by the public.
    What do you mean by this?
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • Anonymous
    The public just see the main bits of the bike (Like VTech) and the price tag (perhaps not Vtech). If they feel that their sales are taking a hit, and that having a couple of cheaper components keeps sales up, then thats what they will do.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Imposter wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    Its just not british !!

Not true. My Enigma has Ultegra everything apart from the chain which I specifically spec'd as SRAM :D
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    jordan_217 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    Its just not british !!

Not strictly true. My Enigma has Ultegra everything apart from the chain which I specifically spec'd as SRAM :D
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • rolf_f
    plumpy wrote:
    Just a quick practical point to distract you from your outrage and grief - the 4600 and 6700 cassettes are different widths. There will not be a spacer behind the 4600 on the freehub, as it doesn't need one. The 6700 will be supplied with a thin spacer, which needs to be installed behind the cassette.

Well, not really. The only real performance difference is likely to be down to the nature of the pads which would probably cost £20 to resolve. The calipers themselves are likely to be much of a muchness these days.
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    Carbonator wrote:
    My DA Focus had an ultegra cassette (which I knew about) and I got another for my other set of wheels.

Odd thing was that the spacers have 105 on them? Friend said his 105 cassette had Tiagra spacers lol

What spacers do your Tiagra and ultra cassettes have VTech?

Might get DA chain/cassette when they wear out :D

The Ultegra and Tiagra look very different quality in those pics.

The spacers say 10S on them, not 105, it's to tell you it's a 10 speed spacer!
  • VTech
    schweiz wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:
    My DA Focus had an ultegra cassette (which I knew about) and I got another for my other set of wheels.

Odd thing was that the spacers have 105 on them? Friend said his 105 cassette had Tiagra spacers lol

So I was right :mrgreen:
    Living MY dream.
  • Anonymous
    Rolf F wrote:
    plumpy wrote:

Well, not really. The only real performance difference is likely to be down to the nature of the pads which would probably cost £20 to resolve. The calipers themselves are likely to be much of a muchness these days.

Thats what people say about groupsets too! :lol:
    I'm flogging the DA Focus and getting a £200 jobbie in Halfords :roll:
  • Anonymous
    VTech wrote:
    schweiz wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:

So I was right :mrgreen:

That makes more sense. You know I think I remember the '5' being a little skewed :lol:
    Still going to have another look 8)
  • Anonymous
    OK, its an 'S' :oops: