Bike fit @ Cadence Sport

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    This sort of pointless waste always disappoints me with people and depresses me. I wish it didn't but it does. Oh well......
    ........especially in the winter...

Eh? You've got central heating surely? Why would it be harder to fix a tube in winter? :lol:
    Hint - it's dead easy and no time wasted. Turn the TV on, put the kettle on and while the tea is brewing you locate the hole and clean the tube. By then the kettle has boiled so you make the tea. While the tea is brewing, you put the glue on. By the time you've poured the tea and had a couple of refreshing sips of it, you are ready to put the patch on. Pump the tube up a bit and leave it somewhere to confirm it retains air and jobs done!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • moscowflyer
    moscowflyer Posts: 540
    Rolf F wrote:
    This sort of pointless waste always disappoints me with people and depresses me. I wish it didn't but it does. Oh well......
    ........especially in the winter...

Eh? You've got central heating surely? Why would it be harder to fix a tube in winter? :lol:
    Hint - it's dead easy and no time wasted. Turn the TV on, put the kettle on and while the tea is brewing you locate the hole and clean the tube. By then the kettle has boiled so you make the tea. While the tea is brewing, you put the glue on. By the time you've poured the tea and had a couple of refreshing sips of it, you are ready to put the patch on. Pump the tube up a bit and leave it somewhere to confirm it retains air and jobs done!

Or just pop it in the bin and don't worry about it again...
  • curium
    curium Posts: 815
    Reduce, Reuse, Recycle!
  • moscowflyer
    curium wrote:
    Reduce, Reuse, Recycle!

We're the only house in the street with two recycle bins, we do that much.

Innertubes though...
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Hmmm could you pop one in the post then? There are a fair few on here who wouldn't mind some spares.
  • moscowflyer
    Slowbike wrote:
    Hmmm could you pop one in the post then? There are a fair few on here who wouldn't mind some spares.

Pay for postage and I'll get them lined up as and when. Schwalbe Duranos on the commuter mean they're very few and far between though...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Same. Will hang onto the broken ones and post them out to whoever wants them noisy put new tyres on so don't hold yer breath!
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    I gotta be honest and say...I love the way VTech starts a thread and no matter what he posts it always descends to chaos! The original content gets ignored and it becomes a bun fight in the school dining room!

Are you just sitting back and laughing VTech?
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Do yourselves a favour, once you are happy with the bike fit, take a photo of your bike against a white background, I've attached a photo of my mates bike as an example of what I did for him.

master_measurements.jpg

What I then do which you could do with a spirit level but I use one of those laser things for aligning wall paper/shelves etc. is mark up the position of everything as can be seen and I use that as a master template for every bike he has.

I've done this with all my bikes and when building a new bike I get it within 98% of my original fit, with just minor adjustments like shifter position etc. required.

After paying out for an expensive fit, only a fool would ignore the advice, Adrian suggested that I do this and I have built a number of bikes for myself since the fit and they all feel very similar in comfort.

HTH
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    The fitter should really do this for you...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    NapoleonD wrote:

Hmm, did Adrian do that for you? He gave me and Franco a sheet with the measurements, but harder to interpret that doing it all on a diagram.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    ooermissus wrote:
    Presumably it depends on how far from home the rider will be venturing.

Not far.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    TheFD wrote:
    I gotta be honest and say...I love the way VTech starts a thread and no matter what he posts it always descends to chaos! The original content gets ignored and it becomes a bun fight in the school dining room!

Actually yes, at the start I have to say I found it odd and so may have reacted in a way that I wouldnt normally do in social life but I think im used to it now and of course im well aware that if I met most of the people on here I would get on with them so its not really real :)
    I feel happier going along with it actually :)
    Living MY dream.
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Slowbike wrote:
    +1
    With 2 young kids and having to downsize my house due to years of reduced hours with the recession inner tubes are a luxury.Unless the hole is close enough to the valve to make it unfixable .
    FCN 3/5/9
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Velonutter wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

Hmm, did Adrian do that for you? He gave me and Franco a sheet with the measurements, but harder to interpret that doing it all on a diagram.

No. He should have though.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • gloomyandy
    gloomyandy Posts: 520
    Hi Vtech,
    someone asked earlier if you changed the stem setup as part of the fit? Did you? If so what was the change? I assume Adrian used his variable stem/bar setup to get a good fit?

One of the things I've found hard to do when transferring a fit from one bike to another is to duplicate the bar and shifter positions. Seems like a very small change can make a big difference and it is hard to get accurate measurements from the existing setup. Anyone got a good way to do this?
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Its my personal belief that the bag was put back on for forum effect! Surely 99.9% of people would de clutter their bike before getting a fit? Adrian is not far from me, I may give him a go soon. Used Andy at Bike Science for fit on my first bike, enjoyed the session, be interested to see what AT has to offer for my new bike.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Slowbike wrote:
    +1
    With 2 young kids and having to downsize my house due to years of reduced hours with the recession inner tubes are a luxury.Unless the hole is close enough to the valve to make it unfixable .

Then feel free to PM the guys on here who throw them - personally I'm not in dire straights - but I don't bin a perfectly usable tube either! I just thought there was something we could arrange between ourselves to get punctured tubes to a good home ... might not be worth the postage though ?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I chuck them.
    I'll hang on to them all and give them to someone if they want them. When I have 5 I'll let you know
  • Nickoo
    Nickoo Posts: 85
    Imposter wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    Pump, spare tyre, 2 inner tubes, puncture kit, cell phone, cash and food.

A spare tyre? Seriously?

2x inner tubes and a puncture kit?? Seriously??

Ditch the tyre and one of the tubes (tube + repair kit is enough for any normal person). Then you can ditch that feckin bag.

I was out on my bike last sunday with my dad and his tyre somehow tore going down a hill.
    Had to ride home and fetch the car to put his bike in so carrying a spare tyre can be good but I suppose then you start talkin about if your break a pedal or a spoke
  • ooermissus
    ooermissus Posts: 811
    Nickoo wrote:
    I was out on my bike last sunday with my dad and his tyre somehow tore going down a hill.
    Had to ride home and fetch the car to put his bike in so carrying a spare tyre can be good

Or carry a tyre boot - I use a cut up toothpaste tube. Should get anything other than a horrendously knackered tyre home.
  • Ditch the bag.. Looks Horrible on an amazing looking bike!! :)
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Back on topic, how are you meant to use more than one pair of shoes after the footbeds / shims thing??

Always wondered... do you have to buy more for each pair of shoes in your rotation?!!! I have 2 white pairs for summer, two black for year round, and one pair to commute. All sidis.

They all get used!
  • VTech
    gloomyandy wrote:
    Hi Vtech,
    someone asked earlier if you changed the stem setup as part of the fit? Did you? If so what was the change? I assume Adrian used his variable stem/bar setup to get a good fit?

One of the things I've found hard to do when transferring a fit from one bike to another is to duplicate the bar and shifter positions. Seems like a very small change can make a big difference and it is hard to get accurate measurements from the existing setup. Anyone got a good way to do this?

Yes, he fitted a 70mm stem, he didnt want to offend me but im not bothered as its a fact that due to my larger than needed belly I cant get down into the bike as I should so the stem is better being shorter but as the belly goes I can go up to a 100mm.
    It definitely feels a lot more comfy now though.
    Living MY dream.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    VTech wrote:
    TheFD wrote:

Actually yes, at the start I have to say I found it odd and so may have reacted in a way that I wouldnt normally do in social life but I think im used to it now and of course im well aware that if I met most of the people on here I would get on with them so its not really real :)

Really real? You come across as a selfish, grasping & uneducated simpleton with no humility and born with a little bit of you soul missing.
  • VTech
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    TheFD wrote:

Really real? You come across as a selfish, grasping & uneducated simpleton with no humility and born with a little bit of you soul missing.

Really real ?
    I could go into just how wrong you are but what's the point? I'm about to ho out to do something I love, in the teaming hot sun and whilst I work do you really think ill give you a second thought? Well, maybe I will but it won't be the thoughts your having :)
    Living MY dream.
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    VTech wrote:
    cadencem.jpg

A carbon bike on a turbo.. surely not.. I thought that you mentioned that this is a terrible idea?

Sorry, couldn't resist! :-)
    Simon
  • Scrumple
    It's sad I asked a sensible question, on topic, and yet you lot still keep arguing.

While the sensible question is completely ignored.

thanks.
  • VTech
    Scrumple wrote:
    Back on topic, how are you meant to use more than one pair of shoes after the footbeds / shims thing??

Always wondered... do you have to buy more for each pair of shoes in your rotation?!!! I have 2 white pairs for summer, two black for year round, and one pair to commute. All sidis.

They all get used!

Firstly, sorry for not answering, I was being courted by mr legs who, just like a gypsy boy "grabbing" his girl, he is trying it on with me but using simple abuse but I'm not falling for it, I've seen his twisted face and he just isn't my type I'm afraid.

Anyway, as for the feet, I will be doing the wedges on the cleats to all shoes, I can not stress what a difference this has made to the cycling, I am totally pain free in the foot which was worth the fit cost in itself.
    My feet are not flat when cycling so the clear was pulling it side on and causin pain and a simple wedge has stopped the problem which I never put down to the foot being side on.
    I've googled he wedges and they are around £20 for enough to do 20 pairs of shoes so a bargain.
    I can take pics if you like as I have the bike with me.
    Living MY dream.
  • Scrumple
    thanks

£20 for 20 pairs of shoes is all the detail I need - was worried this fit might mean only one pair of shoes had the bits n bobs.

He is close to me, and I even bought his old bike! Via Sabbath - although they swapped out the frame at the last minute for one that suited me better!