Dwars door Vlaanderen *spoilers*

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    Are Sky showing some panache at last Frenchie? They seem to be instigating the action in a lot of races at the moment but missing out on the wins.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    edited March 2013
    Gatto did minimal work and sat at the back for most of the last 50 kms.
    (clever)

Meanwhile, Stannard and Stijn V do the lions share
    of the work, finish last 2 of the group while keeping
    Mssrs Thomas and Terpstra at bay.
    (clever?)
    ThomThom wrote:
    Maybe a good last effort from Stannard but it made little sense since Hayman was so poor in the end.
    He had been in the break of the day and made a lengthy solo attck from over 40kms out.
    3rd, when there were 3 decent sprinters left, is about as good as one could expect.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    chrisday wrote:
    Can't put my finger wholly on what it is about him, but I reallydon't like him.

Is it because he looks like this?

Beavis_zps76fccf7f.jpg
    Correlation is not causation.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Gatto did minimal work and sat at the back for most of the last 50 kms.
    (clever)

Meanwhile, Stannard and Stijn V do the lions share
    of the work, finish last 2 of the group while keeping
    Mssrs Thomas and Terpstra at bay.
    (clever?)

True to an extent, but it was Gatto who actually bridged up to the two in front by himself.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Pross wrote:
    Are Sky showing some panache at last Frenchie? They seem to be instigating the action in a lot of races at the moment but missing out on the wins.

This is not a stage race so the same shut down tactics are much harder to apply. I like Stannard and Geraint so am not complaining. They rode much like the others in the race.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • above_the_cows
    Graeme_S wrote:
    Stannard cementing his status as Certified Beast©.
    It's undoubtedly impressive, but he needs to start using his head a bit as well. Although in this case I guess it's not his fault that Hayman got beaten on the line.

I agree, but isn't lack of tactical nous the usual criticism of Sky in these races - they often show the brawn but lack the brains. To be fair to Stannard though I'm not sure what he could have done differently either at MSR or today. It seemed very few others were prepared to ride to catch Tommy V and he just took it on - all good race prep for the next few bigger jobbies - in the hope that Hayman would have the legs at the end which he didn't.
  • Pross
    Pross wrote:

This is not a stage race so the same shut down tactics are much harder to apply. I like Stannard and Geraint so am not complaining. They rode much like the others in the race.

What about Hayman? He seemed to have been the most aggressive rider in the race.
  • afx will be happy to Jens Keukeleire up there
  • frenchfighter
    dwars13-sprint.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Worth watching??
  • rick_chasey
    I'll be watching it anyway. I just like to know.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Pross wrote:

I enjoyed that sting in the tail.

Missed the last 20km... But hasn't Voeckler done enough cracking rides in the last 2-3 years to atone for whatever TV-showboating he may have been guilty of in the past? That ride to retain yellow on the Galibier stage (after losing his mind in no-mans land) for instance.

Not sure how Thomas and Terpstra could have been eased back to the the front group without bringing a whole lot of other baggage with them. If Sky can manage to get Thomas and one of their turbo-diesels in the front group, they look well-placed to score.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    chrisday wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    Every day Voeckler doesn't win is a good day.
    That's a horribly vindictive thing to say about any rider...
    ...and I completely agree with you. Can't put my finger wholly on what it is about him, but I reallydon't like him.
    I know what you mean but there is no "Style" as he rumbles along.

I give him some brownie points for trying the way he do, but oh those big gears he won't let go.
    So many memories of Luc Leblanc.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    Graeme_S wrote:
    Stannard cementing his status as Certified Beast©.
    It's undoubtedly impressive, but he needs to start using his head a bit as well. Although in this case I guess it's not his fault that Hayman got beaten on the line.

I agree, but isn't lack of tactical nous the usual criticism of Sky in these races - they often show the brawn but lack the brains. To be fair to Stannard though I'm not sure what he could have done differently either at MSR or today. It seemed very few others were prepared to ride to catch Tommy V and he just took it on - all good race prep for the next few bigger jobbies - in the hope that Hayman would have the legs at the end which he didn't.

No doubt Stannard would've loved either himself or Hayman to win today, but perhaps also in the back off his mind are the more important races coming up: putting some serious digs in at the end of a 200km race (coupled with his MSR efforts) is a traditional way to get the sort of top end crushes opponents at the end of brutal races.
    Not sure if it's method still applied much, but I remember hearing of quite a few GC riders doing top-end interval sessions at the end of steady but hard long rides, rather than fresh, to replicate race conditions...
  • above_the_cows
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    No doubt Stannard would've loved either himself or Hayman to win today, but perhaps also in the back off his mind are the more important races coming up: putting some serious digs in at the end of a 200km race (coupled with his MSR efforts) is a traditional way to get the sort of top end crushes opponents at the end of brutal races. Not sure if it's method still applied much, but I remember hearing of quite a few GC riders doing top-end interval sessions at the end of steady but hard long rides, rather than fresh, to replicate race conditions...

I'm sure they won't be loosing too much sleep over it as the team seem to showing good form and as you say are looking ahead to the bigger races coming up.
  • frenchfighter
    Not sure what Hayman is trying to achieve with his lunge:
    gatto_ddv.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    MathewHaymanDDVv_2918003.jpg
    IanStannardDDV_2918002.jpg
    ThomasVoecklerDDV_2917993.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    It's going to be great hopefully seeing the GB champs jersey at the front in RVV and P-R. P-R in particular could bring back memories of Yates in days gone by.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,452
    Not sure what Hayman is trying to achieve with his lunge:
    A place on the podium?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Pross wrote:
    It's going to be great hopefully seeing the GB champs jersey at the front in RVV and P-R. P-R in particular could bring back memories of Yates in days gone by.
    And, of course, Roger Hammond the year he got on the podium.

parisroubaix_2_backstedt_hoffman_hammond_001.jpg
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • frenchfighter
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    8579137038_346a88663e_c.jpg
    Russ Downing
    8579136402_ca2fb55a95_c.jpg
    Russell Downing (GBR) with a mechanical after a crash on the muddy Ladeuze descent. Jack Bauer (NZL) crashed heavily right in front of him and stays down motionless (at first)
    8578031321_24d183909c_c.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kristofram ... 579127216/
    Contador is the Greatest
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,243
    Kudos to Downing. I hadn't realised it was him but on the coverage you could clearly see that he had seen Bauer wasn't going to get up in a hurry and he deliberately positioned himself between the prone rider and the oncoming traffic.
  • rick_chasey
    (just watched this).

Voeckler easily had the smartest head around. The number of times he'd let a gap go in the front group of 10 and every time someone would rise to the bait and take up the chase.

Devolder and Steegmans both suffered from the same curse - looked like they were playing with the pedals early on and then suddenly collapsing. Very odd.

Thomas not quite there either.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Kramon_DDVL2013_DSC5281-Version-2.jpg

How are people getting away with dissing this guy? I'm minded to post that Walter Smith "you sayin Brian Laudrup cannae play in Europe" clip.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • frenchfighter
    I agree macaloon - never understood the Voeckler hate. A great rider for the fans and a nice and humble guy off the bike. Allez Voeckler!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • It's more of he's not liked by the peloton and so people can relate to the reasons why.

Personally, I don't mind him but he is Virenque Mk II
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,243
    I agree macaloon - never understood the Voeckler hate. A great rider for the fans and a nice and humble guy off the bike. Allez Voeckler!
    I certainly don't hate him. In fact I admire the intelligent and courageous way he rides. But, even though I tend to be a fan of most of the French riders in the peloton, it's not often that I find myself rooting for TV to take the win. I don't know why though.