Rapha Hell of the North 4

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    ... and I am in for the 2014 event too... bring it on!

ditto

I also had a place a couple of years ago but it clashed with my Amstel Gold event, looking forward to it this time especially seeing as i'm also signed up for the Liege Bastogne Liege at the end of April.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • I did the first one, when you could just turn up at the start in Highgate (ahhhh.. those were the days), register and ride the event.
    I strongly recommend a Cross bike, a road bike even with good tyres not enough,making you very vulnerable to punctures. In my humble opinion.

Still a great day out, you will enjoy.

' time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana..'
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    As ready as I can be...

DSC_2065_zps49a3511d.jpg
    left the forum March 2023
  • KPHC
    KPHC Posts: 489
    Entered this year too, just a decision between 25mm Gatorskins on the Acciaio or some skinnies on the FF29. Hmm?
  • lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    I tried to get in, but it was sold out by the time I got to twitter an hour later.

I just forgot....
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    If anyone fancies riding this, my club is doing it on saturday 5th of April.

Drop me a PM if you are interested.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • itboffin
    I've managed to pull off the rare trick of convincing the "support team" to accompany me on this trip, any recommendations for nice hotels/b&b etc between Barnet & Highgate?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rubertoe
    Itb. In short. No
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• itboffin
    tiz okay i remember the de vere place i've stayed before, sorted.
  • savine frame/forks, challenge parigi roubaix tyres (700x27), all black milk tray clobber.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Is a normal road bike ok for this?

Got the 'pave' tyres on from last weekend.
    exercise.png
  • itboffin
    TheStone wrote:
    Is a normal road bike ok for this?

Got the 'pave' tyres on from last weekend.

I hope so otherwise i'm fooked

what you planning on riding?
  • Im riding a Dolan prefissio with 23 Gators.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    itboffin wrote:

Probably the same as Flanders:
    Good bike (Litespeed), with commute/touring wheels with the vitoria pave tyres.

Looks dry all week, so hopefully ok.
    exercise.png
  • rubertoe
    A normal road bike and normal road tyres will be fine for this.

I road some of the route on sunday in the lashing rain. it was sllippery in places but my bike and wheels didnt melt.

• mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Last year, there were a couple of "hard pack" mud bits and a gravelly path - 28s were ideal (or slick 32s), those on cross tyres were a bit grumpy on the road parts, those on 23s managed fine. Looks like its dry as well so 23s are good.
  • itboffin
    TheStone wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Probably the same as Flanders:
    Good bike (Litespeed), with commute/touring wheels with the vitoria pave tyres.

Looks dry all week, so hopefully ok.

not only looks dry it looks like it might be hot, i hadn't planned for that
  • ugo.santalucia
    itboffin wrote:
    not only looks dry it looks like it might be hot, i hadn't planned for that

16 degrees, serious risk of heat stroke! :lol:
  • itboffin
    Tropical compared to Windshire
  • itboffin
    Almost time but first coffee lots of coffee
  • itboffin
    Yeah that was pretty tough 70 miles of on/off road pain, great day though and almost perfect weather, I especially enjoyed the lap of the velodrome at the food stop. What I didnt enjoy was section 5 and i think 7, riding a road bike over a rock hard rutted field full of potholes and massive stone unrideable gravel not a lot of fun.

No visits from the PF for me but plenty of others seem to have had a good seeing too

I'll be back but either SS or on my old steel

Thanks Rapha good job, but put out a few more signs
  • mroli
    itboffin wrote:
    What I didnt enjoy was section 5 and i think 7, riding a road bike over a rock hard rutted field full of potholes and massive stone unrideable gravel not a lot of fun.
    Its the Hell of the North dude - not a gentle pootle in the Country side - MTFU!!!! :wink:

Some people came a cropper on that section - it was funny, every time we hit the road, people on cross tyres were moaning, every time we hit the rough sections, people on road tyres were moaning!

I found the hard bit the constant 6/7% uphills. Really leg-sapping together with the "rough" off-road sections. Fun trying to pick a line though.

I think that some signs got nicked. Apparently Rapha had 3 vans out the night before putting them up.

Not bad for a free event though eh? I rode there and back, did 90 miles, had some frites and a beer in a pub and spent not a penny....
  • itboffin
    yeah definitely some signs missing, and +1 for the free events, there's should be more of these although I appreciate that Rapha obviously had to cough up. It's a nice way to give something back to their loyal fans.

I may have worn more Castelli than Rapha yesterday :roll:
  • rubertoe
    which pub did they finish up at?

• mroli
    I think the Prince of Wales? I had to get back sharpish yesterday, so quickly drank my beer, ate my frites and tried to cover the 15 miles back to SW London quicker than they covered 50km racing. I failed....

Decent sized back room (although not big enough for all riders) and a good sized garden with a car park for all the bikes. Staff were nice too. I remember some tension last year with people watching football in the "front", but hope it was ok this year.
  • KPHC
    Two visits from the PF, both from potholes though, so more down to rider error/over-exuberance, 25mm GP4Seasons not made for careering down rutted tracks....more finesse required next time!

Top day out all in all though, the only signage issue was the nicked ones near Welwyn North station. The actual signage and pink-tape marking was some of the best and most rider-friendly I've come across.

Props to Rapha for supporting this sort of event too, a breath of fresh air from the usual road events, I'll be back again for sure....although with 3 spare tubes or repair kit to avoid the sheer panic after PF visit #2!
  • ugo.santalucia
    KPHC wrote:
    Props to Rapha for supporting this sort of event too, a breath of fresh air from the usual road events, I'll be back again for sure....although with 3 spare tubes or repair kit to avoid the sheer panic after PF visit #2!

Or with better tyres...

Had to pass on this due to family reasons... and a broken steerer... :?
  • KPHC
    Or with better tyres...

Had to pass on this due to family reasons... and a broken steerer... :?

Indeed, would need a new bike though as 25s are as big as the Acciaio will take...perfect n+1 excuse I'd say :D

Sad to hear that, family always comes first though, there will always be bike rides to be ridden
  • itboffin
    well i now know there's no clearance on the back of my ribble sportive, having had to stop 5 times to poke the mud out including 1 mile from the end.

next year its old steel with 27c tyres
  • 2 x punctures in the last 10km or so - both front on 27c parigi roubaixs.
    did over 90 miles all in and got to paddington to get my train with 3 minutes to spare 8)
    top day out as usual.
    I've got a lot of property envy though - some of those houses in hertfordshire - nice!