ugo.santalucia
ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
Finally this year I managed to get in!

Looks like a kick-ass event, really looking forward to it... anyone else? :D
left the forum March 2023

Comments

• antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    When did you get in, my e-mail link came today for it but didn't work, I just found the page and it's full ?
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Even the name has me frantically looking for somewhere else to be :-)

I really must get into hill climbing, I just do not get it at present and that means I am beat before I start.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Got the link today...

Smidsy you are a softie... :wink:
  • antfly
    It's down south and organized by Rapha so how tough do you think it's going to be? The name refers to the Paris-Roubaix I believe, held on the same day.
  • antfly
    Got the link today...

Smidsy you are a softie... :wink:
    Oh, did your link work then ?
  • smidsy
    Down South, err, OK, funny name for it.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • ugo.santalucia
    I got two emails... one link didn't work, the other one did...

Smid...the name is taken from the Paris-Roubaix which is held the same day... FREE 100 Km ride with lots of off road and mud, followed by FREE beer and chips in a local pub, fitted with mega screen to watch the Paris-Roubaix... there seems to be very little wrong with it... :wink:

You should REALLY watch the DVD "road to Roubaix" if you want to get into the real spirit of cycling without the glamour of it...
  • smidsy
    Sounds great, what bike are you using for it?
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • ugo.santalucia
    smidsy wrote:
    Sounds great, what bike are you using for it?

Croix de Fer, just need some different tyres if it is muddy... Gator skins 25 are a bit skiddish on the mud... Might borrow my wife's Pasela 32... Surely she won't mind... :mrgreen:
  • smidsy
    Might borrow my wife's Pasela 32... Surely she won't mind... :mrgreen:

Indeed and I am sure you won't mind being single again :lol:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Alright, I have ordered some Vittoria Randonneur 32... Will come handy for the commute into work anyway... The Gatorskins start being full of cuts... Might have a month left before the puncture palaver starts...
  • SHAWPYE
    SHAWPYE Posts: 85
    On the Rapha website it says details coming soon. No mention of registration open. Bit unfair as been checking it daily.
  • ugo.santalucia
    SHAWPYE wrote:
    On the Rapha website it says details coming soon. No mention of registration open. Bit unfair as been checking it daily.
    I know... You need to sign up to their newsletter and be pestered for one year with daily emails to deserve the right to enter the event... On the other hand it is all for free, so can't really complain about fairness.just come along and set off before/after... Roads and paths are public
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    I got in, not sure which bike to ride. Schwalbe Marathon 32s always good on dirt. They worked a treat on CX sportives before.

Ugo, do you have a bike with a red/silver paint-job by any chance? Like a SS frame with paint but with some masked swooshes where the silver peeks through?
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • ugo.santalucia
    I got in, not sure which bike to ride. Schwalbe Marathon 32s always good on dirt. They worked a treat on CX sportives before.

Ugo, do you have a bike with a red/silver paint-job by any chance? Like a SS frame with paint but with some masked swooshes where the silver peeks through?

No, I have a red 1980 bike with white bands where the decals are, why?
  • FransJacques
    wondering if we rode together in Rich Park on 03 March. I was on a black carbon CX bike with yellow cantis. You wore a scarf and a cheeky grin...(just joking)
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • ugo.santalucia
    wondering if we rode together in Rich Park on 03 March. I was on a black carbon CX bike with yellow cantis. You wore a scarf and a cheeky grin...(just joking)

Unlikely... I have no scarf... I have a blue balaclava though
  • ugo.santalucia
    Who is doing this then?
    With a couple of friends we meet at the finish pub at 8.15 and from there we cycle to he start in Highgate... If anyone wants to join...
  • Strith
    Strith Posts: 541
    Toss up between this and the London classic, I fancied a more easy going sunday so chose the latter. Have fun though.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Nice event... very nice...!
    Bit shorter than anticipated, bit hillier than I expected with over 1000 mt climbing in 55 miles... some testing sections of off road and a quality feed zone, which puts to shame those events charging a fortune for a couple of bananas and flap-jack
    Chips and a free beer at the end, all for free... what's not to like?
  • smidsy
    Errr the 1000m of climbing
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • ugo.santalucia
    smidsy wrote:
    Errr the 1000m of climbing

Yeah, didn't expect those counties around London to be so lumpy... very little in the way of flat, constant rolling up and down... my altimeter is pretty accurate
  • FransJacques
    I had a great time. I didn't remember you guys were out there otherwise I woulda looked for y'all.

I moved inside for the last 40 kms of the race to a) get a better picture quality and b) to be closer to the frites the kitchen was sporadically yielding.

I enjoyed it more than anticipated, the weather certainly helped, I was down-right hot at points today which is a first for 2013.

150kms total for me today door to door back to Clapham. Good training.
  • ugo.santalucia
    I had a great time. I didn't remember you guys were out there otherwise I woulda looked for y'all.

I moved inside for the last 40 kms of the race to a) get a better picture quality and b) to be closer to the frites the kitchen was sporadically yielding.

I enjoyed it more than anticipated, the weather certainly helped, I was down-right hot at points today which is a first for 2013.

150kms total for me today door to door back to Clapham. Good training.

I had a white Croix de Fer and a blue Assos Jacket... then I got changed in civilian clothes and I was sitting not far from the frites table... of which I served myself three times...
    You might have spotted me as I was by far the best at squeezing the mayonnaise bottle... for you Brits was clearly a novelty... :lol:
  • smidsy
    Oh how very Belgian of you Ugo! ;-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Could one of you share your GPS feed, please? I totally forgot about this and was out in Hertfordshire at the same time... but I didn't see anything! So... I guess there are some little lanes I need to acquaint myself with.

Feel free to PM, if you don't want to share start and end points for all to see. Cheers!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • ugo.santalucia
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Could one of you share your GPS feed, please? I totally forgot about this and was out in Hertfordshire at the same time... but I didn't see anything! So... I guess there are some little lanes I need to acquaint myself with.

Feel free to PM, if you don't want to share start and end points for all to see. Cheers!

Haven't got a GPS device, sorry
  • ugo.santalucia
    ... and I am in for the 2014 event too... bring it on!
  • Im in. Anyone got the route? using 23mm gators.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Probably same as last year... using Vittoria XN PRO 32... 8)