Dog Ownership - A Rant

Comments

• tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    msmancunia wrote:
    *and before any cat lovers start, no, they aren't cute. They screech, spray, sh1t, vomit, and I can't stand them. Just for the avoidance of doubt.
    They eat the wildlife too...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    I'm a cat person but due to the amount of cat poo have just bought two ultrasonic cat repellers. Fingers crossed they work.
    Have a long term thing against dogs though due to plenty of poo incidents as a child.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    TGOTB wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:
    *and before any cat lovers start, no, they aren't cute. They screech, spray, sh1t, vomit, and I can't stand them. Just for the avoidance of doubt.
    Apparently this is quite a big problem these days add cat ownership has grown massively, people don't have dogs so much as they need more attention and care whereas cats can look after themselves, but in some areas, the concentration of cats is so great that the population of indigenous birds and small mammals has been decimated
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • jds_1981
    Apparently this is quite a big problem these days add cat ownership has grown massively, people don't have dogs so much as they need more attention and care whereas cats can look after themselves, but in some areas, the concentration of cats is so great that the population of indigenous birds and small mammals has been decimated

On the other hand, I've had no mice incidents since moving to a place with a high cat population.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    TGOTB wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:

Yeah round here birds means pigeons and small mammals means rats, that's a large part of my reason for having cats.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    My In-laws pay a ridiculous amount of insurance for their pedigree bull terrier and I am talking a decent bikes worth a year, but to be honest they take it to the vets once a week.

Our beloved pedigree staff, has never been to the vets in his life and is pretty economical to run.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    mudcow007 wrote:
    grow some catnip plants in your garden it keep all the cat away they hate it
    You is evil...actually the easy stuff to grow is catmint - has the same effect on your average mog.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    mudcow007 wrote:
    grow some catnip plants in your garden it keep all the cat away they hate it
    You is evil...actually the easy stuff to grow is catmint - has the same effect on your average mog.

I know! it took me a couple of seconds to get that Mudcow! But I have been googling over my lunch break and apparently lavender and lemon thyme are the way to go for a cat free-ish garden. I shall be off to the garden centre in a couple of weeks.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • The Rookie
    Also google 'tiger poo' and yes it is, and yes it really really works....and no you won't notice it!

Cat people here, we also foster for the cats protection charity, currently have a lovely lady in, found stray with a horrific wound under one armpit (almost certainly from a collar), 3 operations, 4 casts and still in the collar of shame 2 weeks later bless her.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jds_1981
    msmancunia wrote:
    I know! it took me a couple of seconds to get that Mudcow! But I have been googling over my lunch break and apparently lavender and lemon thyme are the way to go for a cat free-ish garden. I shall be off to the garden centre in a couple of weeks.

We tried lavender and other plants which were supposed to be deterrents. The cats tended to dig them up or damage them as they scuffed a bit of soil towards their poo.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,959
    Anti-cat people - when was the last time you had to scrape cat poo of your shoes after walking down the street, or worse, from your brakes and headset after cycling through it? How many people (other than their owners) get mauled by a cat each year? Cats are a comparatively small problem, I think.
  • msmancunia
    I have to pick it up with a trowel and throw it over next doors fence on a weekly if not daily basis. Not to mention seedlings scratched up and veggies being peed on, having to keep my doors and windows shut in the summer to keep them out of the house, and having to keep epi-pens handy at home. I really shouldn't have to deal with my garden being turned into some open air cat toilet.

Why can't they be kept inside and taken out on a lead like dogs?
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    The problem with cats:

About NZ, but relevant here I'm sure.
  • Headhuunter
    TGOTB wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:

Yeah round here birds means pigeons and small mammals means rats, that's a large part of my reason for having cats.

The reason the birds means pigeons and small mammals means rats is that everything else has been killed by local cats and only these things breed fast and efficiently enough to survive! This is the problem, vulnerable species get killed off and we're left with rats, mice and pigeons....
  • I'm as anti-cat as the next man, but to be fair to the unpleasant, murderous, noisy, vomit-merchants, they aren't usually responsible for the shite in your garden. Cats bury theirs: if you're finding it, it's most likely that of foxes.
  • Headhuunter
    Anti-cat people - when was the last time you had to scrape cat poo of your shoes after walking down the street, or worse, from your brakes and headset after cycling through it? How many people (other than their owners) get mauled by a cat each year? Cats are a comparatively small problem, I think.
    I've had to scrape cat poo out of the cleats of my spd shoes after simply going into the garden to get my bike out!
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    if you're finding it, it's most likely that of foxes.

Unfortunately our dog loves fox poo. Managed to roll in a load of it last weekend, took special shampoo and a couple of baths to get rid of it. It will also drag you under a bus, pull you through bushes, at any scent of a fox.
  • First.Aspect
    I'm as anti-cat as the next man, but to be fair to the unpleasant, murderous, noisy, vomit-merchants, they aren't usually responsible for the shite in your garden. Cats bury theirs: if you're finding it, it's most likely that of foxes.
    Don't let the facts get in the way of a good argument, UCE. Besides, you'll just encourage people to hate wildlife as well. I mean, we have just so much of it in the UK don't we, and none of it pays road tax.

I don't think there is much evidence that cats are disrupting bird populations. http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/gardening ... lines.aspx

Small rodents are preferred prey. Rats are generally too big and aggressive for cats to catch.
  • msmancunia
    Nah - it's cats. I've seen them do it - they squat and stare at me with a malevolent look on their face as they do it, whilst I throw things at them from the patio door. Then they kick dirt all off the raised beds and on to the patio - I don't have a lawn.

We also have a fecally challenged stray peacock that leaves similar presents, which is another story :(
  • First.Aspect
    I've had to scrape cat poo out of the cleats of my spd shoes after simply going into the garden to get my bike out!
    A cat won't crap on a path HH. They go on loose ground, preferably also secluded areas, so that they can cover it. You might find some in flower beds. I do sympathise, but I find this less offensive than, for example, a turd in a penalty area or on a cycle path. But that's just me.

They also don't like being disturbed or crapping in another cat's toilet, so if you do have a particular problem its likely to be just one cat which regards your garden as its territory. The best way to stop it happening is to get a cat. :D
  • walkingbootweather
    walkingbootweather Posts: 2,443
    edited March 2013
    The best way to stop it happening is to get a catapult. :D

FTFY
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • First.Aspect
    msmancunia wrote:
    Nah - it's cats. I've seen them do it - they squat and stare at me with a malevolent look on their face as they do it, whilst I throw things at them from the patio door. Then they kick dirt all off the raised beds and on to the patio - I don't have a lawn.

We also have a fecally challenged stray peacock that leaves similar presents, which is another story :(
    I sense you'll be difficult to talk round. Get a water gun. The cat will dislike it intensely, but you won't risk injuring someone's beloved pet (which, even if you do personally regard as vermin, would unfortunately be a criminal offence).
  • First.Aspect
    msmancunia wrote:
    stare at me with a malevolent look on their face as they do it
    I think cats would be more popular if they had round pupils. Its discriminatory, really.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia wrote:

I sense you'll be difficult to talk round. Get a water gun. The cat will dislike it intensely, but you won't risk injuring someone's beloved pet (which, even if you do personally regard as vermin, would unfortunately be a criminal offence).

Yeah, definitely not a fan. I'm not a hypochondriac, but those furry devils have had me in A&E 3 times in the last two years - once with an asthma attack and twice with anaphylaxis. And yes, it may be a criminal offence, but given the effect they have on me - and I have three separate feline visitors - I'm not averse to giving them a swift kick to get them out. When it comes to my health, I don't care if I injure someone's pet because it's coming into my garden uninvited.

Sorry if that offends you.
  • First.Aspect
    Its not really the cats' fault that you have an allergy though, is it?

My hateful little vermin has just curled up on my lap, purring. Awful creature. I feel bad for owning him and imposing him on everyone else.
  • The Rookie
    msmancunia wrote:
    I don't care if I injure someone's pet because it's coming into my garden uninvited.
    You may do when your in court for it, why not try some of the other options stated, water 'pistol' (OK they look more like assault rifles now), tiger Poo works exceptionally well (My sister uses it as her sone gets very bad asthma from cat contact), also orange peel (or other citrus).
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    What do you propose people with allergies do though FA? Stay indoors because neighbour's cats using their garden as a litter tray is perfectly acceptable?

It's not msmancunia's fault they are trespassing, is it?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,313
    tiger Poo

Er...what now?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • jds_1981
    A cat won't crap on a path HH. They go on loose ground, preferably also secluded areas, so that they can cover it. You might find some in flower beds. I do sympathise, but I find this less offensive than, for example, a turd in a penalty area or on a cycle path. But that's just me.
    I've had cats crap on freshly laid (but hard) concrete!
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Headhuunter

They also don't like being disturbed or crapping in another cat's toilet, so if you do have a particular problem its likely to be just one cat which regards your garden as its territory. The best way to stop it happening is to get a cat. :D
    Well my garden is a bit ahem, rough and untended, they probably love it! I don't hate cats I just find them a bit discomforting with their claws and funny eyes and for that reason I'm out... For me it had to be a dog, one day I'll have one