whats your first 10 mike TT time

Comments

• kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    cotti wrote:
    I just did my first 10 on Wednesday in 33:01 which I am over the moon with, ive spent the last 18 months in and out of hospital with an immune system diesease which is attacking my muscles heart and lungs (Dermatomyositis). I really didnt think id ever ride my bike again let alone do a TT and have to give all the credit to the Doctors my family and also my cycling club (Kidsgrove Wheelers) who have given me so much support whilst i was ill:)

Paul Cotterill

Well done, great to hear you are able to get out on the bike and give it a go.
  • The course can make a huge difference. On the one we use for club 10s, the only person I know of to go below 20 is Wouter Sybrandy. I did my first one on there on a road bike at 28:15. Best I've done on that course (road bike with clip-ons and pointy hat) is 24:56. My son did his first on that course last year aged 12 and clocked 35:something then did a second one and clocked 30:22. He's done one this year with 29:03. I think he'll be catching up soon.
  • Gregger
    Gregger Posts: 71
    32:22 at Peterboughs 10mTT last night. 2:20 better than my first effort at Sleaford last week

If I continue this improvement, the Rainbow jersey is mine this year
  • Fatamorgana
    Fatamorgana Posts: 257
    If, say I have a 30 min time, attaching some Mini TT bars, what's the likely time saving I wonder ?
    I will practise the route and the TT bars in advance so I don't feel un-nerved by the change.
    I can borrow a short sleeved skin suit too.
    I wonder what the cumulative savings may be given all other factors remain the same?
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Gregger wrote:
    32:22 at Peterboughs 10mTT last night. 2:20 better than my first effort at Sleaford last week

If I continue this improvement, the Rainbow jersey is mine this year

Where is the Peterborough route? Am curious as my family live there (I am actually there as i type this).

We may move to Stamford in 2/3 years so would be looking to find a club etc.
  • Gregger
    Gregger Posts: 71
    Where is the Peterborough route? Am curious as my family live there (I am actually there as i type this).

We may move to Stamford in 2/3 years so would be looking to find a club etc.

A number of clubs in that area
    Peterborough cc, Rutland Wheelers, Fenland Clarion etc
    I chose Peterborough TT as a come and try entry simply as it was a Thursday, my best evening

See http://www.peterboroughcyclingclub.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=239&Itemid=51

Helpston route is between Stamford and Peterborough, just west of the village of Helpston
  • Fatamorgana
    Fatamorgana Posts: 257
    21 June 2012: my first and only TT to date.
    Very disappointed with a time of 30:36 with absolutely no slack on my part.

On that day, my left leg "went" again, and continued to hinder the rest of that summer's club and personal riding. 5x sessions of acupuncture too.

No winter training from October - February, giving the leg some recovery time.

February: professional bike fitting. Moved the saddle up and back, Superfeet insoles, and a few other touches making a profound difference. I can't think of a more worth while £230 (2x bikes) spend that have produced better results per £1.

I seem to produce less power and less speed down in the drops, so I recently bought a Mini TT bar, but in actual, real world terms, I get no extra speed from them. Shame!

Ear plugs: less noise kidding the brain into thinking we're not going so quickly - an old motorcycle trick, and I am trying it out for the first time today. Others commented upon it and said they'd considered it too.

Short sleeved skin suit: bought on eBay for a one-off. I felt slippery, no idea really how else to describe it.

Gaffer tape over my shoes.

The bike is a 23lb Trek 1.2

I managed to lose 12lb, down to 11:5:0 and 16.5% fat. I am 176cm tall. Blue eyes, own hair, is good with animals and children.

Michelin Pro4 SC. I really like these slicks over my winter tyres.

116 psi - this might seem a statement of the bleeding' obvious but my TopPeak track pump (160 max) lies like a cheap Thai watch. I take 2x wheels to the LBS where they have a proper track pump, making sure that the tyres are pumped up that same day.

On the day we had favourable wind conditions and I clocked 28:24, some 2:12 faster than a year ago. And yes, I am happy to be considered a tad OCD based on this report!
    ; 0
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    ju5t1n wrote:
    my first 10 was in 1987 when I was 15 on a Harry Hall 531

I did 27.32 on the Maidenhead Thicket course

Yay, got a new PB last night. On a road bike with clip on aero bars. 22.27 :D:D:D
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    ju5t1n wrote:
    ju5t1n wrote:
    my first 10 was in 1987 when I was 15 on a Harry Hall 531

I did 27.32 on the Maidenhead Thicket course

Yay, got a new PB last night. On a road bike with clip on aero bars. 22.27 :D:D:D

Good stuff ju5t1n :) - I did 25:54 on Wednesday night on my Roadie with clip-ons (with a rear-disc from my TT rig though) - nice evening for it - lets hope the weather stays good this summer.
  • jezzpalmer
    jezzpalmer Posts: 389
    My first go at a local TT course (R10/23) was 3-4 weeks ago on a miserable Sat morning, 9 DegC, 14mph westerly and raining according to Garmin connect, which sounds pretty accurate.
    Did 29:50 and was pretty happy with that, sub 30 was the goal, and was done on road bike with no aero other than 45mm rims.
    Though was with a rolling start, I presume an organised TT would be a standing start?

The course record (Strava) is 22.32, it's not the flattest or fastest.
    http://app.strava.com/segments/894679
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    I'm doing my first 'proper' (i.e. not preceeded / followed by either a swim or run) TT this Saturday... bugger-all training, very little preparation, don't even know the course so fully expected >30mins, but I need to get a score on the board to work from...
    The last club '10' was won in 19.39 but that rider's professional, and a pretty handy tester at that.
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    jezzpalmer wrote:
    My first go at a local TT course (R10/23) was 3-4 weeks ago on a miserable Sat morning, 9 DegC, 14mph westerly and raining according to Garmin connect, which sounds pretty accurate.
    Did 29:50 and was pretty happy with that, sub 30 was the goal, and was done on road bike with no aero other than 45mm rims.
    Though was with a rolling start, I presume an organised TT would be a standing start?

Course record for the R10/23 is actually ceri pritchard with a short 21
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • jezzpalmer
    jezzpalmer Posts: 389
    edited June 2013
    sub55 wrote:
    jezzpalmer wrote:

Course record for the R10/23 is actually ceri pritchard with a short 21

Cool, I fully expected Strava wasn't the fastest time.
    A quick search shows that Strava wasn't even a glint in it's father's eye when the record was set.

Will have a go at R10/22 next, it looks a bit faster and easier to get into a rhythm.
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    Got my fastest 10 mile PB, not an official TT course, but it's pretty much flat the entire way and was on a day with an almost insignificant southerly wind.

Ridden on my standard road bike (Canyon Ultimate AL 9.0), on the drops, time: 24min 26seconds

http://app.strava.com/activities/58613756#1087095022
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    First 10 at age 15 was 28:48

Now 3 years later my PB is 20:30 but I think long 19 possible on a fast course

Been steadily improving and (more importantly :D ) upgrading equipment over those 3 years

And you're also National champ for TT25 ;)
  • daveski12
    daveski12 Posts: 158
    Did my first in August last year, on a 30 year old steel framed Raleigh - 29:32
    Second was in April, on my alu framed Trek - 29:40
    Last Tuesday I did 27:23 on the same Trek.

Much happier with that time and looking forward to beating that over the summer.
  • jotko
    jotko Posts: 457
    Did my first 10 mile TT attempt today on U7B - not an organised thing, just thought I would have a crack at it.

Managed 27.50 according to strava - http://app.strava.com/activities/60447254, although of course that is with a rolling start. Did it on a normal road bike, no aero anything, although I did take the peak off my helmet!

Conditions were, errr, interesting. Massive tail wind on the way out, did first 5 in about 12 min, then turned into it and pace slowed to a crawl, started raining as well. Feeling the burn now, that last 5 into the wind was a killer, I think I was doing 11mph at one point up the hill, lol

Definitely up for another go when the weather is less crazy.
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    I'm doing my first 'proper' (i.e. not preceeded / followed by either a swim or run) TT this Saturday... bugger-all training, very little preparation, don't even know the course so fully expected >30mins, but I need to get a score on the board to work from...
    The last club '10' was won in 19.39 but that rider's professional, and a pretty handy tester at that.

Ok, I think I've been bitten... 28.36 on a 'sporting' course. Fair old tailwind on the way out, massive headwind / cross winds and driving, torrential rain on the way back. It was sunny when I set off from home so wasn't exactly properly attired for the conditions - completely soaked through.
    Despite the conditions I really enjoyed it - was aiming for sub 30 so pretty happy with the time. Hoping to get another go at the course tomorrow evening and the Club 10.
    Think I've killed my rear wheel too, which gives me an excuse to replace it with a disk!
  • Clarke_111
    Clarke_111 Posts: 22
    New around here, long time stalker though.

Some interesting times posted here, and interesting to see how people have developed/got faster, thugh obv not easy to see whether that's training/equipment/faster courses or more likely all 3.

My fist 10 was 32.52 on the Clevedon club course 3 years ago. PB now with clip ons, a pointy hat and 50mm rims is 24:47.
  • Fogliettaz
    Fogliettaz Posts: 180
    First one last night in 40 years, 28.28 previous best back in 1972 ish 29.30 ish.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Did my first 10 mile TT on Tuesday and recorded a time of 26:40. Was pleased with that, no TT equipment just my road bike. Completely hooked already, looking forward to next week.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Started cycling in 2010 at the age of 43. First 10 TT in 2012 on my road bike, no aero kit, even had two full 750ml water bottles on as I was going for a training ride straight after! It was on JC/5 in Cheshire. Clocked 25:05.

Same course 2 weeks ago on my TT rig, new PB by 30 secs down to 22:10. :mrgreen: within 7 days I set a new 25 PB breaking the hour for the first time with a 58:59 and a 50 PB within 2hrs at 1:59:46! Talk about chuffed! What a great cycling week hat was for me. I even officially became a pro as I got winnings for that effort! :wink:

Now next weekend I shall be setting another PB, this time for the 100, as I am riding my first! :lol: Hoping for about 4:15.

PP
  • xscreamsuk
    xscreamsuk Posts: 318
    Pete,

I know how you feel, did a few last year, 26.04 for a ten, 1.4 ish for a 25 on road bike with clip ons. That was one year after starting cycling.

Trained a bit, got a proper bike, got down to 20:59 and 55:19 for a 25. Down 4 mintes on same course as my initial 26.04.

It is addictive and the right equipment certainly helps, but cutting out the junk rides and training properly has made a huge difference for me.

I'm hooked . Power meter ordered as well!
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    00:25:50 on a Sporting course (actually over 10.5 miles - the Richmond Park TT yesterday). Road bike, 30mm wheels, no aerobars.
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    Well I set a new PB last night - 23:12

This was on a road bike with nothing aero, normal wheels etc... Got home and started looking at TT bikes, think this might be a slipper slope... :roll:
  • daveski12
    daveski12 Posts: 158
    Done 3 TT's this week. 26:32, 25:33 and a 24:29.

Happy as I did a 29:40 at the start of the season.
  • 3b4bikes
    3b4bikes Posts: 40
    Fogliettaz wrote:
    First one last night in 40 years, 28.28 previous best back in 1972 ish 29.30 ish.

Nice to hear - I have been thinking about having a go for a while, but keep wondering if I'm just too old. Maidenhead CC are running one not too far from me on Thursday (day before I turn 44) so maybe I should just give it a go.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    willy b wrote:

This was on a road bike with nothing aero, normal wheels etc... Got home and started looking at TT bikes, think this might be a slipper slope... :roll:

Did my first the other week, no wind or aero getup but undulating course and managed 23:55, immediately looking at Planet-X Excocets...

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBP ... trial_bike

:lol:
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    iPete wrote:
    willy b wrote:

Did my first the other week, no wind or aero getup but undulating course and managed 23:55, immediately looking at Planet-X Excocets...

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBP ... trial_bike

:lol:

:lol: Bad isn't it! I have a spare road frame at home in the garage, so just need everything else...
  • A month or so ago did my first TT. 10 miles and flat (ish) - posted a time of 23:17 on my commuter (lights, mudguards and toolkit) but also aero helmet and clip on bars.

Same course two weeks ago - 23:05 (some of the lights and toolkit removed) but extra speed was down to slightly different pacing tactics (40 seconds faster on first half, slower on second but overall a 12 sec improvement). So still some time to come .. unfortunately the season has run out so will have to wait for next year to see what I can do.

Can't be @rsed with fitting clip ons and adjusting the bloody seat every week so looking to buy TT frame and build something up over the winter ready for next year.

Easy way to spice up your biking life. Would also love to do indoor track stuff but that's less easy for me to organise (the TTS are just outside of work).
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile