whats your first 10 mike TT time

Comments

• peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    first '10' was on the u21 in somerset in 2010. Managed 24.35 on my road bike. there was a vile headwind on the way back and i went off way too hard on the way out. Someone passed me at about 2 miles going about 5mph faster than I was. Last two '10's i've ridden were 19.49 and 19.42. No-one passed me.

first '25' was 1.01.54 on a very slow course in 2010. Have got that time down to 50.21. revisiting the slow course later today, although i've managed a short 57 on there last year.
  • My first 10m TT was late eighties when i was 15 riding a unbranded Columus Aelle frame, baggy jersey and clips n straps on a Cheshire "sporting course" with a dead turn in the road. Did a 26.30 but the folllowing week got it down to a 25.30. First 25 was acouple of weeks later and posted a 1 03m. They both f***in hurt and for my first season used to be sick after nearly every one, particuarly the 10's. You will be suprised how quick your times come down though if you keep at them. Warm up right, dont eat too near your start time and give it everything you have and watch those times improve. Oh yeah try to enjoy em too!
  • woo! 29.24, dead chuffed.
    Target for next week is 28.10, set by a 15 year oild (!)
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    always did and still do hate 10's
    100's now theres a race.
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    29 mins and some seconds.....1984, in football shorts and trainers on my dads old road bike, on the Hathersage 10 course, which is no longer used...
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    I've never done an official time trial, I'd probably be half decent as I am capable of keeping high power output over about an hour, just can't afford all the aero gear and not willing to pay silly money for an uncomfortable aero bike.

However, when in Spain on holiday last week I rode a "short TT Course" (with one very short, small hill), was into a strong wind on the way up then tail wind on the way down, 14.4 miles in 38.5 mins, avg.speed 22.4mph.... No aero bars or anything; just my bib shorts and short sleeved kit / normal helmet, as you can see from the performance tab, my speed was significantly higher on the second half when riding with the tailwind....

http://app.strava.com/segments/3806201

On a TT bike with areo kit I'd easily shave a couple of minutes off that time.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    I've never done an official time trial, I'd probably be half decent as I am capable of keeping high power output over about an hour, just can't afford all the aero gear and not willing to pay silly money for an uncomfortable aero bike.

However, when in Spain on holiday last week I rode a "short TT Course" (with one very short, small hill), was into a strong wind on the way up then tail wind on the way down, 14.4 miles in 38.5 mins, avg.speed 22.4mph.... No aero bars or anything; just my bib shorts and short sleeved kit / normal helmet, as you can see from the performance tab, my speed was significantly higher on the second half when riding with the tailwind....

http://app.strava.com/segments/3806201

On a TT bike with areo kit I'd easily shave a couple of minutes off that time.

Why buy all the gear etc, that's the best thing about TTing, you can just turn up on anything, yes even MTBs and race. It is after all a race against the clock and yourself. If you already have a bike, any bike, then turn up to an evening club 10TT pay £2-3 and race. Simple, cheap and fun.
  • trickydisco
    trickydisco Posts: 173

i'd say put your money where your mouth is and enter one. Most of my club do them on normal road bikes.
  • First 10m tt tonight on a course with a couple of lumps and 30mph gusts, finished in 30.11 which I'm pleased with. Onwards and upwards as they say
  • Tom Dean wrote:
    You will go faster with a number on your back - no point comparing training times to race times.

This! And you'll improve a huge amount the first few you do. But for what it's worth, I did a 27:27 for my first 10. Nice and easy to remember!
  • 30:54, last Tuesday.

In my defence, 46 years old on a singlespeed (42x16). It was that or the MTB...
    I have a policy of only posting comment on the internet under my real name. This is to moderate my natural instinct to flame your fatuous, ill-informed, irrational, credulous, bigoted, semi-literate opinions to carbon, you knuckle-dragging f***wits.
  • motd2k
    motd2k Posts: 71
    http://app.strava.com/activities/50320533

23:00 - probably went out slightly too hard, got carried away in the moment. Alot more enjoyable (once i'd finished!) than I expected it to be!
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    Doing my first 10m TT on wednesday coming and hoping to come in sub 30 mins. I tried the course out last year and on my third attempt on the slightly hilly course I managed to get a sub 31 min time. This year I feel a physically stronger rider and have started using clip on aero bars, so hoping that I can break sub 30 mins on my first official TT.

On Tuesday I rode the 7 miles to work and averaged 19mph, which included going through the town center with lunchtime traffic and traffic lights. So fingers crossed I can beat an average of 20Mph over 10miles with no traffic lights and light traffic.

My aim is to do 25mph+ on the flats/decents and obviously be slowed down by the climbs in between.

http://app.strava.com/segments/2200126 - This is the course.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    27:17 on a Road bike with a pointy hat (no other aero gear) - substantially improved on that since (on a full rig).
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    Mettan wrote:
    27:17 on a Road bike with a pointy hat (no other aero gear) - substantially improved on that since (on a full rig).

When you say pointy hat, for some reason I imagine you riding around with a witch/wizard hat on.
  • cotti
    cotti Posts: 96
    I just did my first 10 on Wednesday in 33:01 which I am over the moon with, ive spent the last 18 months in and out of hospital with an immune system diesease which is attacking my muscles heart and lungs (Dermatomyositis). I really didnt think id ever ride my bike again let alone do a TT and have to give all the credit to the Doctors my family and also my cycling club (Kidsgrove Wheelers) who have given me so much support whilst i was ill:)

Paul Cotterill
  • xscreamsuk
    xscreamsuk Posts: 318
    26.02 on road bike last year, first 10 TT, got that down to 23.32 on same course on same bike.
    TT bike this year has seen me get a 20.59 on a faster course. Not yet ridden the club event on the local course to compare.
  • markos1963
    xscreamsuk wrote:
    26.02 on road bike last year, first 10 TT, got that down to 23.32 on same course on same bike.
    TT bike this year has seen me get a 20.59 on a faster course. Not yet ridden the club event on the local course to compare.

20.59 is pretty quick whatever the course and to get that down from 26.02 in a year is amazing! I feel like giving up now after chipping away from 27m to 24m in three seasons.
  • imsimon
    imsimon Posts: 181
    did my first one last night, 30mins 9 secs shame as chain came off near the end so would of bee 20secs or so quicker but hey ho thats life!
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Did my first 10TT about 25 yers ago, was 26 mins something I think, also did a 2-up 25 around 1:04 I think. Haven't done a time trial since, but have the Club's first of the season tonight! I know I can do it in sub 30min, since I did that last Autumn on my old bike, in the dark. Now I have a new bike, more miles in my legs and TT bars, target is 26 mins, anything better would be a miracle (I'm now 45 years young).
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • SuperCove
    SuperCove Posts: 127
    Entered my first 10TT (Q10/38) last night.... 28:16.

Pretty happy with that given the windy conditions but finished feeling that I could have gone faster... went out conservatively as I did not want to blow up in the first 3 miles - Now I have ridden the course properly, I know where I can push harder to gain extra time.

Rode it on my standard road bike, Onix RH Pro, but might be persuaded to purchase an aero helmet and tri bars in my search to get in the 25s before the end of the year - What you reckon each of those are worth... 20 seconds over the 10 miles?
    Cove Handjob XC
    Giant OCR
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    SuperCove wrote:
    ... might be persuaded to purchase an aero helmet and tri bars in my search to get in the 25s before the end of the year - What you reckon each of those are worth... 20 seconds over the 10 miles?

More than that I think. I put on some Token tri bars (£32.49 from CRC) and especially with the wind it definately gave me an advantage. I think more like 1 min just with the bars. The helmet then less so since the bars already get you in a better shape.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Skinsuit should be before most of that I reckon.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    +1 skinsuit is your best option.

Tri bars and pointy helmet are crimes against fashion on a road bike, not worth the seconds.

Giro air attack is cool though :P
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Tri bars got me 10 seconds on a ten with much worse conditions than the first time, so probably a decent bet, but be aware most people do find it hard to put the same power out when hunched over, so your aero gains may be lost to your power loss
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • thegodplato
    thegodplato Posts: 319
    I've just done my first 10TT on Tuesday evening on course L105 in the PETTS open event. I managed 26:07 on my road bike with no Tri bars or anything aero and was wearing my MTB peaked helmet as well. Died the last 2 miles but very happy at the time. Our club record is 19:01 - flaming quick!
    I'm 41 and only been cycling a year so think thats a decent time. Hoping to break into the 24's before the summer......or is that wishful thinking!
    2012 Bianchi Via Nirone Xenon

960 miles in 8 days starting 6th April 2013
    www.justgiving.com/teams/cyclemadness

cyclemadness.blogspot.co.uk
  • I did my first TT this week. It was 13 miles not 10, wasn't pan flat with 200ft of climbing.
    Did it in 37.22 which I'm happy with considering my current fitness level. Flagged a bit in the 3rd quarter and the lactic acid in my thighs really started to heart in the final few miles. Felt brilliant afterwards - well, apart cramping whilst going up the stairs when I got home.
    Will definitely be trying a few more and will be going for 27mins in my first 10. I'm planning to stick to the road bike and kit and attempt to get sucked into the arms race that the more serious TT appears to be. Very friendly though and plenty of people on normal road bikes.
  • ednino
    ednino Posts: 684
    First time I've tried it was 34.00

That would put me about joint last in the club. I won't be happy til im under 30mins
  • Gregger
    Gregger Posts: 71
    Sleaford 10miles last nght - 34:38
    Happy to break my target of 35mins

Aged 47, Trek Madone 5.2C standard set up and rider kit
    Blooming cold. Calf cramping at 4miles didnt help
    Plenty of room for improvement
  • markos1963
    I've just done my first 10TT on Tuesday evening on course L105 in the PETTS open event. I managed 26:07 on my road bike with no Tri bars or anything aero and was wearing my MTB peaked helmet as well. Died the last 2 miles but very happy at the time. Our club record is 19:01 - flaming quick!
    I'm 41 and only been cycling a year so think thats a decent time. Hoping to break into the 24's before the summer......or is that wishful thinking!

No reason why not but it is a big ask. Riding and learning your local course regulary will cut that down as you will pace it better. TT bars, skin suit, aero helmet, shoe covers will give you about another minute or so. A proper TT bike might give you another minute. This is assuming you produce the same power. More specific training is free and will give you the best increase per pound. Plenty of RR guys in my club can go out on their standard road bikes and do a 23m.