The 'Things a man should be able to do' Thread

13»

Comments

• msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    I did thirteen in fifteen minutes when I was a student.

And I still really like them.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    msmancunia wrote:

yeah but your odd! ;-)

exaggeration, is a bloke thing, i'm 6ft almost to the mm, number of 6ft plus blokes who well aren't! perfectly reasonable 5'10 or so but 6ft 2 they are not!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    msmancunia wrote:

yeah but your odd! ;-)

exaggeration, is a bloke thing, i'm 6ft almost to the mm, number of 6ft plus blokes who well aren't! perfectly reasonable 5'10 or so but 6ft 2 they are not!
    Creme Eggs are rank. I might just have to stop interweb stalking MSM. Creme Eggs may be too much for this perv to cope with.
    Regarding the height thing I discovered I've shrunk by nearly 1" so was inadvertently exaggerating. I hadn't measured myself in about 20 years, no need if you're not growing, but when we measured my son we also measured me and I've lost nearly an inch. I'm still over 6', but I'm no longer 6'2"
  • Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    I never understood the exaggerating height thing, hundreds of times men have come to me to buy a bike and I ask "How tall are you?" in order to assess where to start size wise, inevitably the answer will be six foot or greater, despite being clearly shorter than my 5'11". Why are you doing this? You are just wasting both our time, you are not more of a man because you think you are taller. Perhaps you misheard and thought I asked your girth.
  • msmancunia
    On the one internet date I went on a few years back, I said I'd meet this guy for a drink. He'd said in his profile he was 5ft11. When he turned up he was smaller than me.

I'm 5ft6. Did he think I just wouldn't notice? :shock:
  • msmancunia wrote:
    On the one internet date I went on a few years back, I said I'd meet this guy for a drink. He'd said in his profile he was 5ft11. When he turned up he was smaller than me.

Perhaps he hoped you wouldn't be so shallow as for it to make a difference?

Interesting fact that people are usually about an inch taller first thing in the morning than last thing at night. Gravity and the pressure of the day grind you down.
  • veronese68
    I never understood the exaggerating height thing, hundreds of times men have come to me to buy a bike and I ask "How tall are you?" in order to assess where to start size wise, inevitably the answer will be six foot or greater, despite being clearly shorter than my 5'11". Why are you doing this? You are just wasting both our time, you are not more of a man because you think you are taller. Perhaps you misheard and thought I asked your girth.
    Probably a confidence thing. I worked with a guy that used to do that, they were always bragging about something or other. Obviously compensating for something.
    The funniest thing was when he discovered an intelligence test on line. Thinking he was clever he challenged me. He was amazed when I beat him, even more so when he was beaten by a girl. Soon went quiet when most people were scoring higher than he was. Knowing him he'd probably been practising for half of the night as well.
  • msmancunia
    I wasn't being shallow! I don't have a thing about height. But it does raise the question - if he's lying about his height, then what else is he lying about? I'd rather someone was honest from the start.
  • msmancunia wrote:
    On the one internet date I went on a few years back, I said I'd meet this guy for a drink.
    msmancunia wrote:

:shock:
    I'm going to have to stop reading posts from the bottom up....
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078

I've had some fun with this - measured properly, I'm 6' 4". One time at work, someone asked my colleague (tall, but visibly a bit less than me) how tall he was - six foot five and three eighths was his answer (fractions are for children!) and I really enjoyed answering the same question when I was asked.

*My usual answer to "how tall are you" is, "this tall" accompanied by the appropriate helpful gesture
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • veronese68
    msmancunia wrote:

Perhaps he hoped you wouldn't be so shallow as for it to make a difference?

Interesting fact that people are usually about an inch taller first thing in the morning than last thing at night. Gravity and the pressure of the day grind you down.
    Maybe the bloke hadn't slept for 5 days, it all adds up.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    If someone asks me my height, I always reply "6'1",6'2"" but this thread has prompted me to check. I am 187cm tall which is a bit under 6'2". I like my height, tall enough to reach stuff from the top shelf (even though the internet has taken over now)' but not so tall that I have to duck through standard doorways.
    I'm from a tall family. My Grandad was 6'8". My niece is about six foot tall and she is by no means the only six foot female in my family.

Back OT. A man should be able to just about anything, after having enough beers to think the problem through. e.g. Putting up a shelf is a one beer problem. Configuring a Wi-fi router is a four beer problem.
    For some problems, the beers should be applied retroactively (mainly for safety reasons). e.g. Replacing the brake pads on the car is a two beer problem but the beers are drunk after job is done and the test drive is successfully completed.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I'm blessed with curly hair, so my height oscillates quite significantly with a period marked by visits to the barber.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    notsoblue wrote:
    I'm blessed with curly hair, so my height oscillates quite significantly with a period marked by visits to the barber.
    Its true. The first time I met NSB he looked about 5'8", the next time he looked about 6'6". All due to hair length fluctuation.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,680
    Be able to sit through any film without crying - Only Exceptions being the end of Gladiator and the bit in Cool Runnings when they carry the sled over the line at the end...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    velohutts wrote:
    carry in the house a weeks load of shopping in one go.
    ...and shut the boot while carrying said shopping
  • bompington
    edited March 2013
    Build flat pack furniture. Bonus man points for not using the instructions...
    You mean to say that flat pack furniture comes with instructions?
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    edited March 2013
    msmancunia wrote:

eek!

right ok 2 questions

how big is your mouth?

secondly where you on a massive sugar rush like tigger from the jungle book?

oh an man stuff

lean on a spade in the garden an look tough

carve meat at the dining table without it looking like its been massacred

cook a meal (no beans on toast doesn't count)

sharpen a pencil with a stanley knife (only real men can do it so the pencil doesnt end up 3mm long)
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • bompington
    mudcow007 wrote:
    ...tigger from the jungle book...
    Now that's an interesting mash-up concept
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Shere khan not quite so scary when you think he's related to Tigger then...
  • Applespider
    Applespider Posts: 506
    The flip side of this is what things some men do that most men don't or can't...

...came to mind after a gym class where only one of the four blokes in the class had any co-ordination at all. I'd understand it if we'd been doing something with lots of moves but it was only squats and lunges. W
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    The flip side of this is what things some men do that most men don't or can't...

#1: Say, "I drank too much". Men drink twenty-five pints, throw up all over themselves and say "I really shouldn't have had those crisps". Who the hell is convinced by this? See also: imaginary "bad pints".
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    chop wood
    deal with dead animals /animal droppings in the garden
    hold an opinion on everything
    find everything in the house even when mislaid by others.
    have a range of voices for different situations (stern, scary, sorry being the main ones)