Paris-Nice Stage 3 *Spoiler thread*

13»

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    ThomThom wrote:
    Christ, 'wheel sucking' is really a phrase that should be heading for the bin.

Talansky did exactly what he needed to do. Sky had one thing in mind - to get Porte as many seconds as possible. They had two riders in that group to achieve that meaning they had to take most of the responsibility to make it flow (which I think they did).

Here, wheel sucking = standard race tactic, as mentioned.
    Not doing a tap, not contributing to the break, if you prefer, but it all amounts to the same thing.
    Sky didn't initially have two riders in the break.
    Porte tried and failed to bridge, asked Talansky to help and he refused.
    They were heading back to the chase group, until Sky brought Lopez back.

Talansky is also supposed to be a GC contender, yet he almost enabled Tejay and Chavanel
    to rejoin.
    I guess he was prepared to gamble some possible GC advantage over taking a stage win.
    Good tactics...................when it comes off.

Only one rider in the panache award stakes, today
    That must go to Grivko.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Erm, cough. You mean I was the only one?

Damnit!!!!

Actually - check out my PTP placings for the past few years... Think I'm getting too excited early doors...

Edit - hang on - you're not on the list.... https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub ... utput=html
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    just watched the last 3km on Steephill. The race looked smashed to bits. Not a good day to be wearing your world champs kit in weather like that!
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,243
    mroli wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Erm, cough. You mean I was the only one?

Damnit!!!!

Actually - check out my PTP placings for the past few years... Think I'm getting too excited early doors...

Edit - hang on - you're not on the list.... https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub ... utput=html
    So I'm not. Thanks for pointing that out.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Jonathan Vaughters ‏@Vaughters
    Watching the last 10kms of Paris nice again. Such a nice tactical job by @andrewtalansky. He played the game right and won.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    ThomThom wrote:
    Christ, 'wheel sucking' is really a phrase that should be heading for the bin.

Talansky did exactly what he needed to do. Sky had one thing in mind - to get Porte as many seconds as possible. They had two riders in that group to achieve that meaning they had to take most of the responsibility to make it flow (which I think they did).

Here, wheel sucking = standard race tactic, as mentioned.
    Not doing a tap, not contributing to the break, if you prefer, but it all amounts to the same thing.
    Sky didn't initially have two riders in the break.
    Porte tried and failed to bridge, asked Talansky to help and he refused.
    They were heading back to the chase group, until Sky brought Lopez back.

Talansky is also supposed to be a GC contender, yet he almost enabled Tejay and Chavanel
    to rejoin.
    I guess he was prepared to gamble some possible GC advantage over taking a stage win.
    Good tactics...................when it comes off.

Only one rider in the panache award stakes, today
    That must go to Grivko.

Pretty much all this but Lopez put in a great ride. Nothing wrong with a bit of wheel sucking but he was gambling on making enough bonus seconds to counteract any time the group could have gained if he'd pulled. It was when Porte was trying to bridge and he refused to help that confused me though. If only Kiryenka stayed upright the gap may have been bigger.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    In my opinion he should have helped to contribute to the break. But to be honest I think it is because he couldn't:

Talansky is chomping at the bit to throw down. He pulled the plug on his solid 2012 campaign at the Giro di Lombardia. His 2013 debut at the Tour Méditerranéen last month was cut short when thieves stole all of Garmin’s team bikes in an overnight heist.

While some of his top rivals, such as Tejay van Garderen (BMC) or Robert Gesink (Blanco) already had a week or more of racing in their legs before coming into Paris-Nice, Talansky had a total of two days. And one of those was a 24.3km time trial.

“I can feel it in the first couple of days that I don’t have a ton of race rhythm,” he said. “That will hurt me more on days like today than when you have an uphill finish.”
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    just watched the last 3km on Steephill. The race looked smashed to bits. Not a good day to be wearing your world champs kit in weather like that!

IMG_7101_edited-1.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    The world champion looks fat.

:wink:
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,037

Don't world champions always look fat?

Very few can wear white lycra and get away with it, either that or the really slender types don't tend to become world champions. Perhaps we need a gallery of various WCs to see if this is the case.

When you are ready FF :wink::D
  • Is that a power meter? Oh my...
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Is that a power meter? Oh my...

But...but...but...I thought....
  • I'm not down with this new craze for p!sspot helmets either. They look awful
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310

He rides on feel.

Clearly he felt like using a power meter.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

He rides on feel.

In the photo you can quite clearly see him feeling the power meter.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    RichN95 wrote:
    In the photo you can quite clearly see him feeling the power meter.

More like phil the power in the unflattering WC jumper.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • chrisday
    chrisday Posts: 300

He rides on feel.

Chapeau, sir, chapeau! :)
    @shraap | My Men 2016: G, Yogi, Cav, Boonen, Degenkolb, Martin, J-Rod, Kudus, Chaves
  • frenchfighter
    I am surprised JTL wasn't there at the very end to support Porte. I would have thought he would have the legs and could have helped increase the gap.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inkyfingers
    I am surprised JTL wasn't there at the very end to support Porte. I would have thought he would have the legs and could have helped increase the gap.

Think he burnt his matches riding on the front on the climb.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Richmond Racer
    OPQS getting the hairdryer treatment from Cav tonight

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/03/ ... int_277107
  • inkyfingers
    OPQS getting the hairdryer treatment from Cav tonight

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/03/ ... int_277107

Interesting. He's always quick to praise his team when they do well so I suppose it's fair enough to have a word when they don't.

I didn't see it, but wondered whether Cav and Greipel were too busy watching out for each other?
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Wrong thread?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174

Don't world champions always look fat?

Very few can wear white lycra and get away with it, either that or the really slender types don't tend to become world champions. Perhaps we need a gallery of various WCs to see if this is the case.

When you are ready FF :wink::D

I reckon I'd look fat in the WC jersey too.
  • Richmond Racer
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Wrong thread?

I am an idiot and you can claim your £5 :oops: