Paris-Nice Stage 3 *Spoiler thread*

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Er no. How about you re-read and re-interpret my comments properly or just move along. Sorry I don't have the time to spell it out to you in white and red.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • garyhoop1
    garyhoop1 Posts: 44
    Videos from Paris - Nice so far inc Stage 3 - http://bit.ly/XJaCmp
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    Er no. How about you re-read and re-interpret my comments properly or just move along. Sorry I don't have the time to spell it out to you in white and red.
    You seem to have more than enough time for the internet :)

You indicated Talansky was a rider with class in direct response to him winning a race in a fairly classless way. Fairly odd thing to do, hence I was just questioning what you were basing your assertion on.

Personally I respect and admire him for sneaking his win in an intelligent and effective manner - all credit to him for crossing the line first however it was achieved. You can waste a huge amount of energy, talent and potential with pointless and failed attacking. Ultimately brain will always beat brawn.
  • frenchfighter
    nic_77 wrote:

You indicated Talansky was a rider with class in direct response to him winning a race in a fairly classless way. Fairly odd thing to do, hence I was just questioning what you were basing your assertion on.

Personally I respect and admire him for sneaking his win in an intelligent and effective manner - all credit to him for crossing the line first however it was achieved. You can waste a huge amount of energy, talent and potential with pointless and failed attacking. Ultimately brain will always beat brawn.

Here we go.
    nic_77 wrote:
    Talansky is an emerging heavyweight. Rides with some class too.
    Did you watch the race? Hitchhiked across the gap with Sky and then stole the victory from others in the breakaway.

I have seen him in many races. Go and watch some Baby Giro.

This race, nothing impressive about his win apart from being a young rider and at the sharp end and now sitting top in GC.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Lightning wrote:
    emadden wrote:
    Terrible victory salute :shock:
    Agreed. Even worse in slow motion.

Don't see anything wrong with it. Pretty standard if understandably energetic. His first big win with the big boys (other than Tour de l'Ain) and Garmin's first win.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Gesink lost a minute on a descent in the rain. What a suprise :roll: . There goes my PTP :(

Kelderman, Montfort and Menchov also losing a minute, Basso almost 3 minutes
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Wow,is every stage like this in Pro Race?If so,can we have a PTP,Post Tantrum Pick? :lol:
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Well...for the second time...GREAT racing from several guys including Porte and Talansky

Wake up at the back there, BMC...! :wink:
  • nic_77
    nic_77 wrote:

Here we go.
    nic_77 wrote:
    Did you watch the race? Hitchhiked across the gap with Sky and then stole the victory from others in the breakaway.

I have seen him in many races. Go and watch some Baby Giro.

This race, nothing impressive about his win apart from being a young rider and at the sharp end and now sitting top in GC.

So I call you out for describing a rider as 'classy' in direct response to a classless win which you didn't see, and you defend your position with a subsequent statement indicating that indeed there is nothing incredible about the win. Right.

I disagree with virtually every belief you hold (or at least the character you play on the internet holds) true about cycling. But there is nothing wrong with that. To adopt your favourite technique - end of conversation, I win.
  • frenchfighter
    Are we seriously having this conversation. Your first paragraph is inaccurate but if it makes you happy to believe it, I am glad for you.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Lightning wrote:
    emadden wrote:

Don't see anything wrong with it. Pretty standard if understandably energetic. His first big win with the big boys (other than Tour de l'Ain) and Garmin's first win.

BEr5PaqCQAA6G_7.jpg:large
    BErtGtQCYAAzOaP.jpg:large
    BErvQb-CYAIFUTt.jpg:large
    Contador is the Greatest
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,243
    mroli wrote:
    Only one person picked him for "overall" on the PTP though *whistles*...
    Erm, cough. You mean I was the only one?
  • frenchfighter
    FJS wrote:
    Gesink lost a minute on a descent in the rain. What a suprise :roll: . There goes my PTP :(

Gesink has balls though and knows how to race. He has had many unpleasan crashes and I am sure his dad's death weighs heavily on him. He will attack later if he has the legs and he will have no problems doing it solo. Proper racer.

Unfortunate for Basso to have a mechanical and lose contact just as Sky (coincidentally?) used their diesels to make a selection.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    FJS wrote:

Gesink has balls though and knows how to race. He has had many unpleasan crashes and I am sure his dad's death weighs heavily on him. He will attack later if he has the legs and he will have no problems doing it solo. Proper racer.

Unfortunate for Basso to have a mechanical and lose contact just as Sky (coincidentally?) used their diesels to make a selection.

What actually happened was a Sky rider asking him if he'd run out of cheese and chorizo rolls
  • frenchfighter
    Are you bitter about Basso because he is pretty, classy and has brilliant results? You seem to hate him more than most.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • LutherB
    LutherB Posts: 544
    Nah, he's a cheat like all them other pretty, classy result-getting cheats
  • nic_77
    Are you bitter about Basso because he is pretty, classy and has brilliant results? You seem to hate him more than most.
    No, guess what, I'm with RR too
    BASSO IS A CHEAT, therefore all of his results and style are absolutely irrelevant.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Good stage that. Love a stage that finishes 5 to 10k after a reasonably hard climb; they always seem to produce exciting chases.

Shame Kiryienka went down when he did. Add him to that group and that 7 seconds would have been a fair bit more I reckon.
  • nic_77 wrote:
    BASSO IS A CHEAT, therefore all of his results and style are absolutely irrelevant.

At least Basso did his time. No problem with him.

Gesink comes out to play for the Tour of California every year then fails to live up to his promise the rest of the time.

I like Talansky as a rider, despite the fact that even his boss thinks he's a tool.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • frenchfighter
    Harsh on Gesink. Check out his wins over the years. Classy the lot of them. And provides good entertainment during the stages.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    Lightning wrote:
    emadden wrote:

But you didnt watch it, right?

The "flailling arm salute" doesnt quite work when a rider has arms like anorexic matchsticks :D A single punch to the air would have had more panache instead of looking like Jim Henson is pulling strings :lol::lol: Yes, he was excited, nay thrilled - but the salute left him down :lol::lol::lol: (note: before people jump down my throat - dont take this seriously)
    www.dotcycling.com
  • nic_77
    nic_77 wrote:

Some logic to that approach, still not something I agree with, owing to his cowardly acceptance - it seems to me that the more style a racer has, the less classy they are as a person.

Out of interest, and without malice, (and I appreciate I'm way of topic on a racing thread) can you comfortably apply your position to other high profile dopers who have also served bans:
    Virenque
    Pantani
    Millar
    Contador
    Vinokourov
    All of whom handled their own situation slightly differently?
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    What a race.

And smart move by Sky to make Kiryienka fall creating a decisive gap ;)
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    ThomThom wrote:
    What a race.

And smart move by Sky to make Kiryienka fall creating a decisive gap ;)

He would have known when he signed for Sky that he would sometimes be expected to sacrifice himself for others :wink:
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • nic_77 wrote:
    nic_77 wrote:

Some logic to that approach, still not something I agree with, owing to his cowardly acceptance - it seems to me that the more style a racer has, the less classy they are as a person.

Out of interest, and without malice, (and I appreciate I'm way of topic on a racing thread) can you comfortably apply your position to other high profile dopers who have also served bans:
    Virenque
    Pantani
    Millar
    Contador
    Vinokourov
    All of whom handled their own situation slightly differently?

Virenque- Did a ban, no problem with him
    Pantani- Never positive for any drug. Did the bans handed to him. Destroyed himself. Feel bad for him
    Millar- Did his ban, no problem with him
    Contador- Got a backdated ban. Think he got less than he deserved. Think he's shifty, can't prove anything, can't argue with his right to race
    Vino- As Contador. Did his ban, angry at his lack of repentence but can't argue with his right to race.

Let me clarify slightly: The rules do not require a rider to show a minimum level of contrition, to make public (or be truthful in their public pronouncements) any information they may have passed on in private hearings, to go out of their way to prove they're outlandishly clean on their return. I may wish them to do those things, but it doesn't effect their standing under the rules.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Talansky panache?
    More like: "Who Dares Wins"....................in reverse.
    Wheel sucked all the way, using that "standard racing tactic"
    that so often screws up the lead group.

Embarrassing salute, too.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Christ, 'wheel sucking' is really a phrase that should be heading for the bin.

Talansky did exactly what he needed to do. Sky had one thing in mind - to get Porte as many seconds as possible. They had two riders in that group to achieve that meaning they had to take most of the responsibility to make it flow (which I think they did).
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    I don't quite get why he refused to ride with Porte to bridge the gap though. I'm not buying that he wanted Lopez to drop from the front group to help Porte; that is too advanced a tactic I think.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Talansky panache?
    More like: "Who Dares Wins"....................in reverse.
    Wheel sucked all the way, using that "standard racing tactic"
    that so often screws up the lead group.

Embarrassing salute, too.

Sometimes you need to risk losing to win.

Good tactics.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.