Carbon 29er hardtail advice - Canyon or Radon?

13»

Comments

• jimmm wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    Why not a carbon on one? Light, cheap, British.

I came to the realisation that I prefer the look of the more retro-ish style metal frames, and therefore it rules out (most) carbon frames from everyone due to the shape and in some cases garish colours! Nothing against carbon, or On One. The main factor against carbon in the long run is the cost though, which I know On One overcome :)
    If you're considering a Cotic Solaris at 499, which is no boubt a great frame but have you looked at the Titus Ti Fireline at 699? from On-One, it's only 200 more for Ti!

Thanks for the pointer - I hadn't looked at this frame. Really like the look of it actually. Great price too, especially for Ti! Do you know if it is a brand new frame model? It states it is available on 15th September, and is pre-order at the moment.

I'm not sure if it's new or not but I'd certainly look at one. I think Ti hardtail frames look great and ride reaaly well.
    njee20 wrote:
    So you're more interested in what it says on the down tube than how good it is?

I'm out.
    The Rookie wrote:
    Yup, you've decided you are a badge tart.....the bike doesn't matter.

No not at all - I'm more interested in how the bike rides and how it looks, rather than who it is made by! The bikes that I have in my shortlist have all receive glowing reviews online - and I was looking for feedback from owners here. I don't see what is wrong about having a particular taste in brands or how a bike looks? Everyone does.

For example I really like the look of the Titus Ti Fireline, and that is not something that I had looked at. I'm just looking for some recommendations, so that I make the right choice in the long run - especially as I made the wrong choice going with a CX bike last time!

I know what I am looking for in a bike has changed over the last six months, but that's expected when you receive feedback, gather information, and trial yourself.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • jimmm
    jimmm Posts: 202
    So I've narrowed it down to either the Cotic Solaris or the Kinesis FF29. Both frames cost a little under £500. The FF29 is slightly lighter being aluminium, but the steel Solaris is said to have a slightly more forgiving ride. I like the look of the Solaris a bit more - but not enough to rule out the FF29!

Scouring the Internet brings back very positive reviews for both...so I'm stuck! Any advice? Think I'm leaning more towards the Solaris.
  • Out of these two, I'd pick the Solaris. However, I think 650b is the way to go. Cotic don't currently do one, but they may in the future.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Do you have some kind of relationship with On-One for you to be so defensive of them?

Didn't realise I was being defensive? But no, none whatsoever, never had one, and don't have much interest in having one actually, but you can't deny their value. I think you misunderstood my point anyway:

I want an XC race bike. I buy a Giant Glory, it is dreadful. I replace this with a Giant Reign, it is still not what I want. I buy a Specialized Epic, it's great. I will now never buy Giant again, as their bikes are rubbish.

My point is that the Kinesis is a totally different bike to the On Ones you've tried and not liked. If you'd bought a Maxlight it would have been different. Apples/oranges comparison.
  • jimmm
    Out of these two, I'd pick the Solaris. However, I think 650b is the way to go. Cotic don't currently do one, but they may in the future.

What benefits does the 650b have over a 29er? I am 6"1 so will (in most brands) be on a larger frame.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Do a forum search on innumerable 650b/29/26er threads.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Out of these two, I'd pick the Solaris. However, I think 650b is the way to go. Cotic don't currently do one, but they may in the future.

Let's not muddy the waters any further with a late curve ball on wheel size, it's taken six months and a whole summer of missed sunny riding to whittle it down to FF29 or Solaris.

I think you're suffering from paralysis by analysis. Both the Solaris and FF29 will be great but different bikes. Given that they're both still relatively uncommon you're unlikely to get to test ride either so you'll just have to go with your gut instinct on this. As I've said before, I've got an FF29 and love it but I'm sure if I'd bought a Soalris I'd have had an equally good summer's riding on that. So pick one or the other with no further reference to online recommendations and order it this afternoon. Choosing a bike isn't always a logical decision - the OnOne would have probably been a more logical choice for me but for some reason I just wanted the FF29 more. Not sure why but I've not regretted my decision once as I love my bike.
  • cooldad
    Listen to this man^^^^^^^^^^
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • jimmm
    Reading more into the whole wheel debate - I'm pretty certain 29er is the right size for me, for the type of riding I am looking to do. So no need to look at other frames!

Still can't decide between the Solaris and FF29 - going to have to flip a coin at this rate. Have got a decision deadline of when my SuperX sells (in the classifieds folder).
  • I'd still spend the extra £200 for the Titus Ti Fireline 29er Frame.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • Isn't the trick to flip a coin and then if you're a bit disappointed with the result you choose the other bike anyway since you obviously wanted it more really? Definitely go with the prettiest.
  • jimmm
    Haha very true milko9000! :lol:

I've decided to go with Cotic Solaris, especially with the new Duckegg frame colour coming out very soon. Just waiting on the sale of my cyclocross bike to free up the funds to start the build.
  • Best choice of the two.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • jimmm
    Ok I've started an excel sheet with a build list for the Cotic Solaris frame, but I keep finding myself being too easily tempted by the highest price (and lightest weight) items - rather than the more cost effective components that will do the job jest as well!

To help me start off, can anyone please recommend items for the following main components:
    - Suspension fork (either 100 or 120 travel)
    - Wheelset or wheel build (rims and hub)
    - Groupset

For example for the fork I was instantly drawn to Rockshox SID XX World Cup 29er and SRAM XX1, and for the groupset I was drawn to SRAM XX1. I like the idea of a 1x10/11 groupset - so any advice please?

Thanks in advance for any help - it has been really appreciated so far! :)
  • cooldad
    Just do it.
    njee20 wrote:
    The Radon is certainly good value for an XX1 build but it's not particularly light, and there's not much further you can go in upgrades except for the wheels. Most bikes that come with XX1 are much more expensive but around a kilo lighter. Anyone know what the Radon frame weighs?

Of course there is. The frame's not going to give away 1kg, so you'll easily shave 1kg off elsewhere...
    How much is the XX1 groupset likely to set me back? Can't find the complete groupset for sale for some reason. I'm presuming £1,000+? The reviews read very well, and it is definitely something to consider if I'm going for a low weight.

Yeah about £1000, the cassette is the big part at £300, and you need compatible hubs (SRAM, American Classic, Kappius, Hope, Mavic, DT off the top of my head). For a lightweight groupset you'd be daft to look elsewhere right now IMO.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • njee20
    Yep, what he said that I said. XX1 all the way! I'd not even bother with X01, too similar in cost!

The World Cup XX is a great fork, but is heavier than having a crown mounted lockout, so unless you're specifically drawn to the Xloc remote then the normal World Cup is probably a better bet - it's the one I'd get personally, but I'm not a big lockout user.
  • jimmm
    Thanks for the replies guys. Any advice on wheelsets?

For brakes I have been looking at the Formula R1 series, due to the lightweight and good stopping power. Any other brands I should be considering?
  • njee20
    DT240 hubs on Light Bicycle carbon rims.
  • jimmm
    Thanks for the tip njee20. Do you use that setup yourself? Any idea of the cost and weight side of things for that sort of build?
  • njee20
    I don't, but will likely be next time around. A couple of friends have the rims, and they're very nice indeed.

Cost would be c£600 at a guess, and weight around 1400-1500g depending on spokes. Alternatively the new Stan's Valor wheelset comes out in the next year, a chunk more expensive, but only 1200g.
  • jimmm
    After a couple of weeks of having an Excel sheet, and planning my build - the costs were rocketing for my 'dream build' - and I can't justify it at this stage. I'm therefore returning to this thread with the tail between my legs, and (finally) agreeing that Canyon or a Radon are they way to go. Not only for the amazing specs, but also my wallet - like you have been saying all along! Sorry guys :oops:
  • jimmm
    I'm going German, but I'm undecided between Canyon's and Radon's 2014 offerings. I'm also backtracking and going carbon if I am going to spend this much.

So with Canyon I am looking at the Grand Canyon CF SLX 9.9 - https://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=3177 - 9.4kg - £2,549.00.

With Radon I am looking at the Radon Black Sin SL 10.0 - http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k1275/a103239/black-sin-29-10-0-sl.html - 9.1kg - £2,885.13

Both look like great bikes on paper, but I'm after some advice please. The Grand Canyon range get great reviews everywhere I look, and I know Canyon have a big following on here. The Radon Black Sin looks great and has an amazing spec, but I'm struggling to find any reviews (in English).

I want a frame that's going to last me, and a ride that is going to be worth the thousands of pounds being spent. I also want great customer service in case anything was to go wrong. If I had the money I'd get this - https://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=3180 - but I can't justify spending that much at this stage.
  • cooldad
    Almost four months now, you've already missed all the best weather. Just buy a bike.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • jimmm
    I've had a bike and I and have enjoyed some summer riding. I had a cyclocross bike, and then after riding a hardtail for a bit of the summer I found myself having a lot more fun. I've recently sold the cyclocross bike (literally one week ago) so I have the money to buy my own hardtail now.

I was planning on building, but the advice here has helped me realise I get a lot more for my money from Germany. I m grateful for the advice, and that's why I'm asking for a bit more.
  • jimmm
    Anyone got any feedback on the Grand Canyon CF SLX 9.9 vs. Radon Black Sin SL 10.0?
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    No, but the canyon slx 9.9 is an amazing bike, i ve got one - but looking at availability, you ll have a long time to ponder your choice :)