Paris-Nice Stage 1 *spoiler thread*

Comments

• Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    iainf72 wrote:
    ps. I really dislike riders doing road races in skinsuits. This is an example of a bad influence from Sky. You wouldn't see the grea champions in a skinsuit - the thought of Fignon, Hinault or Contador in a skinsuit is laughable.

Both Hampsten and Roche did it in the 80's. It's not a Sky invention.

*sighs*
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Stage 1 Results
    FRA 1 BOUHANNI, Nacer (FDJ) 4:48:27
    ITA 2 PETACCHI, Alessandro (LAMPRE-MERIDA)
    ITA 3 VIVIANI, Elia (CANNONDALE)
    BEL 4 DEBUSSCHERE, Jens (LOTTO BELISOL)
    AUS 5 HAUSSLER, Heinrich (IAM CYCLING)
    ESP 6 ROJAS GIL, Jose Joaquin (MOVISTAR)
    SLO 7 BOZIC, Borut (ASTANA)
    AUS 8 HOWARD, Leigh (ORICA GREENEDGE)
    FRA 9 FEILLU, Romain (VACANSOLEIL-DCM)
    BEL 10 MAES, Nikolas (OMEGA PHARMA - QUICK-STEP)

General Classification after Stage 1
    FRA 1 BOUHANNI, Nacer (FDJ) 4:51:01
    FRA 2 GAUDIN, Damien (EUROPCAR)
    FRA 3 CHAVANEL, Sylvain (OMEGA PHARMA - QUICK-STEP) + 1
    NED 4 WESTRA, Lieuwe (VACANSOLEIL-DCM)
    ITA 5 VIVIANI, Elia (CANNONDALE)
    ITA 6 PETACCHI, Alessandro (LAMPRE-MERIDA) + 2
    NED 7 KELDERMAN, Wilco (BLANCO)
    FRA 8 SOUPE, Geoffrey (FDJ)
    SVK 9 VELITS, Peter (OMEGA PHARMA - QUICK-STEP) + 3
    FRA 10 GALLOPIN, Tony (RADIOSHACK LEOPARD)
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    iainf72 wrote:
    ps. I really dislike riders doing road races in skinsuits. This is an example of a bad influence from Sky. You wouldn't see the grea champions in a skinsuit - the thought of Fignon, Hinault or Contador in a skinsuit is laughable.

Anglos innit. And I have not seen it in all the races I have watched apart from when Sky started.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Google:

Cooke’s decision to wear a skinsuit was not without precedent. In fact, 23 years ago Stephen Roche did the same thing for a short road stage in the 1985 Tour de France.

One morning in that Tour they had a short stage in the Pyrenees which started in the valley road and then climbed to the top of the Col d’Aubisque. The Irishman’s directeur sportif told him to treat the race like a time trial by attacking from the gun and soloing to the summit. So, treating the race like a time trial meant wearing a skin-tight Lycra one-piece outfit that had only recently been invented.

Even Roche wasn’t an innovator in this respect. The American Andy Hampsten did exactly the same thing to win a mountain stage of the Giro earlier that same summer.

Sounds like treating like TTs so is somewhat acceptable. Doesn't sound like a RR to me.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Richmond Racer
    iainf72 wrote:

Anglos innit. And I have not seen it in all the races I have watched apart from when Sky started.

Well if you hadnt seen it in any old race footage it cant have really happened, can it :roll:
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

Roche is practically French. And did it on a french team.

I don't like it either on normal road stages.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431

I agree with you... Only one permitted exception - that was Roche's win in 1984 on the Aubisque. All other instances are just posers
    www.dotcycling.com
  • frenchfighter
    From Oman. Not acceptable.

Tour%20of%20Oman%20Day%206%20Stage%206%20063.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Skinsuit, or not, the dude would have to ride naked on the Champs Elysee with a sunflower up his nose to look more French than in that uncontaminated tricolour kit.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcShpG2FD_irIsjAN68R0ZGpSgdbMqAzhV42pkTndfPsgrE-hVff
    www.dotcycling.com
  • Everyone goes skinsuit in cyclocross too. Except Rapha.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Richmond Racer
    emadden wrote:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcShpG2FD_irIsjAN68R0ZGpSgdbMqAzhV42pkTndfPsgrE-hVff

and a great pic because it also shows the zip racily at half-mast...and he doesnt like that, these days
  • frenchfighter
    Who is the guy in the cervelo top at 1.18?! Or even what team. Only Garmin has those sleeves as far as I know but not sure what the white jersey is for (the young rider is held by Wilco of Blanco).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... JFKtbL6zh4

Ps. Bouhanni gets real low in his sprint.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Who is the guy in the cervelo top at 1.18?! Or even what team. Only Garmin has those sleeves as far as I know but not sure what the white jersey is for (the young rider is held by Wilco of Blanco).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... JFKtbL6zh4
    Fabian Wegmann - German champ:

pic301082221_600.jpg
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • frenchfighter
    Thanks Rich.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,564
    Google:

Cooke’s decision to wear a skinsuit was not without precedent. In fact, 23 years ago Stephen Roche did the same thing for a short road stage in the 1985 Tour de France.

One morning in that Tour they had a short stage in the Pyrenees which started in the valley road and then climbed to the top of the Col d’Aubisque. The Irishman’s directeur sportif told him to treat the race like a time trial by attacking from the gun and soloing to the summit. So, treating the race like a time trial meant wearing a skin-tight Lycra one-piece outfit that had only recently been invented.

Even Roche wasn’t an innovator in this respect. The American Andy Hampsten did exactly the same thing to win a mountain stage of the Giro earlier that same summer.

Sounds like treating like TTs so is somewhat acceptable. Doesn't sound like a RR to me.

Roche wrote about this in his biography. Basically he was very good at TTs, but less good at the road stages which puzzled his DS. Therefore his DS suggested that he treated it like a TT, so he wore a skin suit and put his number in a different place just as he would have done in the TT. It was all a psychologically ploy.

Now, why I can remember that when I read the book 20 years ago, but can't remember what I did last week, is worrying!
  • Sure Millar wrote in his autobiography that the Garmin team wore skinsuits on the final stage to deliver a Champs-E win for Farrar and tried to disguise them with a normal jersey over the top.
    If I remember the deception failed when zabriske needed a dump and had to stop at the road side in a right old mess, so to speak!
    2011 Trek Madone 3.1c
    2012 Ribble 7005 Winter Trainer

Dolor transit, gloria aeterna est.
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    afx237vi wrote:
    Boonen shelled out the back... ooh, and JTL. Shocker.

I hope JTL out the back is some silly Sky Plan and not because he cannot hack it with the big boys (despite some hardcore winter training).

Jonathan T-Locke ‏@J_T_Locke
    Caught out in a silly split 2day-Somewhere between moving up with a jersey full of bottles, crashes left & right & some cross wind. #hectic
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    fluff. wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

I hope JTL out the back is some silly Sky Plan and not because he cannot hack it with the big boys (despite some hardcore winter training).

Caught out in a silly split 2day-Somewhere between moving up with a jersey full of bottles, crashes left & right & some cross wind. #hectic

I'm starting to worry about that boy.
  • frenchfighter
    Unfortunately Gilbert has had a style mishap. Hopefully this will be a temporary lapse of poise.
    Nice14_2909768.jpg

But then check out the rest of his kit:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/paris-nice/s ... tos/254908
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Sure Millar wrote in his autobiography that the Garmin team wore skinsuits on the final stage to deliver a Champs-E win for Farrar and tried to disguise them with a normal jersey over the top.
    If I remember the deception failed when zabriske needed a dump and had to stop at the road side in a right old mess, so to speak!

Err, Farrar hasn't won on the Champs Elysees, but Garmin have been using the Castelli San Remo, sort of a cross between a skinsuit and a road/jersey combo. Van Summeren used one when he won Paris Roubaix in 2011.

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/d ... aix-29864/

And Sep Vanmarcke used one in Omloop Het Nieuwsblad last year.

qsaxzav54o404g4kowkoss0-sptdw008.jpg
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Good times for French cycling.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,177
    afx237vi wrote:

The Worlds suggest he can more than hack it with the big boys. Bad positioning at the wrong time, even Boonen got caught out. I think JTL will be targeting a stage and so losing a bit of time won't do him any harm.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Pross wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

The Worlds suggest he can more than hack it with the big boys. Bad positioning at the wrong time, even Boonen got caught out. I think JTL will be targeting a stage and so losing a bit of time won't do him any harm.

This is the same Boonen that nearly lost his arm not that long ago.. and therefore has a very good excuse.

What's JTL's excuse?

Err, Farrar hasn't won on the Champs Elysees, but Garmin have been using the Castelli San Remo, sort of a cross between a skinsuit and a road/jersey combo. Van Summeren used one when he won Paris Roubaix in 2011.

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/d ... aix-29864/

And Sep Vanmarcke used one in Omloop Het Nieuwsblad last year.

qsaxzav54o404g4kowkoss0-sptdw008.jpg

Should have said trying to deliver a win for Farrar, I know he hasn't won it before. And this would have been in 2009 (maybe 2010) so before the team starting using the San Remo kit (I believe...?!)
    2011 Trek Madone 3.1c
    2012 Ribble 7005 Winter Trainer

Dolor transit, gloria aeterna est.
  • frenchfighter
    fluff. wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

Thanks. He is looking very lean and fit at the moment with legs to tear up some power climbs so hope he gets the opportunity to put them to good use.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Pross wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

This is the same Boonen that nearly lost his arm not that long ago.. and therefore has a very good excuse.

What's JTL's excuse?

Tough crowd.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Is Boonen still going for sprints? Sorry, haven't been paying attention... :oops:
  • islwyn
    islwyn Posts: 650
    I do love this forum sometimes! Yes Boonen is going for sprints.
  • Richmond Racer
    Pross wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

What's JTL's excuse?

Tough crowd.

JTL's not there as even a plan B for GC. He's there purely in support role. Someone let someone else's wheel go, and bang, big gap opened up with BMC hammering it at the front.