Strade Bianch 2013 *Spoilers*

Comments

• Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    iainf72 wrote:
    I think Chinny is screwed for the classics.

Sagan just has to sit on him and he'll always take him in a sprint. And with Moser they've got 2 cards to play. Hopefully Boonen and some others can get some form to open things up a bit.

Cancellara needs his team to isolate Sagan, then he needs to sit on while Sagan is forced to chase. These events are not happening.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Macaloon wrote:
    Cancellara needs his team to isolate Sagan, then he needs to sit on while Sagan is forced to chase. These events are not happening.

He doesn't have much of a team. When it gets to the thin end of the race, Sagan will have someone with him, Chinny probably won't.

He really needs someone else strong who's prepared to ride (like Boonen) in good form.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    iainf72 wrote:
    I think Chinny is screwed for the classics.

Sagan just has to sit on him and he'll always take him in a sprint. And with Moser they've got 2 cards to play. Hopefully Boonen and some others can get some form to open things up a bit.
    Perhaps. Still, this is the 'easiest' the Strade Bianchi have been - a day after a little bit of rain but dray on the day. No dust, no mud; the closest to riding on tarmac you'll get them. The cobbles will be more selective.
    Has Moser done any races on cobbles?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    However good Sagan is, I don't think he is capable of a 50km solo breakaway over the cobbles or bergs.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Well, the only time i've seen Sagan isolated is last years Ronde. He didn't do very well did he. Maybe his hand was forced, but it shows that talent isn't always a sufficient substitute for experience. Plus he's seemed weak in long time trials - so i'd agree with FF, no solo breakaway (unless it's within 5km to go).

I wouldn't want to be the one to write him off though and Canc does need help if he's not quite on superhuman form otherwise it'll be Goss, Gerrans, all over again.
  • Macaloon
    iainf72 wrote:
    He really needs someone else strong who's prepared to ride (like Boonen) in good form.
    He can go business class on the Sky train.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Cancellara needs to finds himself a new team. Embarrasing support.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    If Cancellara is to beat Sagan he needs to do what LLS did on that stage of the Tour.

Outsmart him. Catch him by surprise. That'll work as no one in the right mind is going to help Sagan close a gap to Chinny.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Macaloon wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    He can go business class on the Sky train.

Why would he want to be on the 3rd group on the road going backwards? :P
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • EKIMIKE wrote:
    Well, the only time i've seen Sagan isolated is last years Ronde. He didn't do very well did he.

5th at 22 years old? Blimey, tough crowd!
  • EKIMIKE
    Well, that was predictable. Of course 5th is an excellent result at RVV for anyone, especially a 22 year old.

But in the specific situation of being isolated - he panicked and wasted a lot of energy. Of course he will learn from that in time though.
  • EKIMIKE wrote:
    But in the specific situation of being isolated - he panicked and wasted a lot of energy. Of course he will learn from that in time though.

Do you think? At which point are you refering to? What should he have done differently?
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    EKIMIKE wrote:

Do you think? At which point are you refering to? What should he have done differently?

Is this like one of those development feedback sessions, Greased? :wink:
  • EKIMIKE
    After Oude Kwaremont it was obvious Paolini wanted to chase and he did. Sagan sat up, took a drink and a gel whilst Paolini went for it and nearly made it before the Paterberg.

Then, rightly so, Sagan sorted the men from the boys on the Paterberg. But instead of seeing that Paolini was strong and willing to chase the leading three, Sagan took off solo. He repeatedly looked behind to see Paolini dangling in no-mans-land. If he would have worked with Paolini he would have had a better chance, especially with the head-wind. The RNT boys (Roulston and Rast? - Gallopin punctured) wanted to chase too.

Even though they probably wouldn't have caught those three, Sagan was riding like he'd lost his head. He's only young. He'll learn and destroy plenty of races in years to come.
  • EKIMIKE wrote:
    After Oude Kwaremont it was obvious Paolini wanted to chase and he did. Sagan sat up, took a drink and a gel whilst Paolini went for it and nearly made it before the Paterberg.

Then, rightly so, Sagan sorted the men from the boys on the Paterberg. But instead of seeing that Paolini was strong and willing to chase the leading three, Sagan took off solo. He repeatedly looked behind to see Paolini dangling in no-mans-land. If he would have worked with Paolini he would have had a better chance, especially with the head-wind. The RNT boys (Roulston and Rast? - Gallopin punctured) wanted to chase too.

Even though they probably wouldn't have caught those three, Sagan was riding like he'd lost his head. He's only young. He'll learn and destroy plenty of races in years to come.

Sagan hardly sat up. Sure, he takes a gel from his pocket as he goes through the feed zone, but he doen't sit up like Chavanel does.

And when Paolini goes over the top of the Paterberg, who's on his wheel? Greg Van Avermaet. He's hardly going to work with Sagan and Paolini if Sagan sits up at that point. They get caught within a few km and then Paolini goes again, is clear for maybe a km before he's caught again. It doesn't give Sagan much of a chance to realise he's clear, drop back and work with him.

Mind you, it would be pretty tough going for Sagan to catch the three riders in front. They were all pretty commited and working well together. But the group behind wasn't working well at all, lots of attacks and counter attacks, they were never going to catch the lead group. Sagan might as well carry on on his own. If the chase group had split and started closing down the lead group, they would have caught him or he could have then dropped back. I think by working by himself after the Paterberg all did was lose a 4th place.

The only thing he really did wrong was work a bit too much on the front of the bunch on the Kwaremont before Boonen and Pozatto jumped across to Ballan.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Canc needs a team.

Moser has a habbit of picking the right time to go for it.

Sagan is still riding with two fingers in his nose.

Van Avermeart rides like an idoit without ear pieces. (Though, in fairness, he was worse last weekend).

Omloop and Strade have both shown why it's important for teams to have a good second row.
  • tailwindhome

What does this mean?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

What does this mean?

With noticable ease and with effort to spare. Flemish expression.
  • Macaloon

What does this mean?

Froome took it to extreme lengths on the Tour prologue last year:

"On a humourous note, I’ve spent the evening having the piss taken out of me by my team mates for riding the prologue with warm-up nose plugs in. They are cotton balls soaked in olbas oil which are used to keep the airways open - obviously not quite the same effect if you forget to remove them before the start. A mistake I will not be making again anytime soon!!" <<< Aye, right, Christopher.

http://www.chris-froome.com/diary/40-diary-the-prologue
  • tailwindhome

What does this mean?

Ta.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,177
    It was a cracking race, the bunch seemed to think they would pull Moser back on the final climb and appeared to briefly ease off just before it. Canc only has the one tactic and against a strong team it is hard to get it to work, he needs to change teams.
  • frenchfighter
    Contador is the Greatest
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Not sure if watching Strade Bianche makes me want to enter the ballot for L'Eroica or not!! :)
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • FoldingJoe wrote:
    Not sure if watching Strade Bianche makes me want to enter the ballot for L'Eroica or not!! :)

Of course it does!

Don't you need an old bike to do it on? Would your Kona count?
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    FoldingJoe wrote:

Of course it does!

Don't you need an old bike to do it on? Would your Kona count?

Wot Greased says. Have you seen this?
    http://vimeo.com/20622427
  • frenchfighter
    That was posted a few posts up.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Wot Greased says. Have you seen this?
    http://vimeo.com/20622427

Top film. Like! :D

Love the woman testing the saddle.

Wanna have a go now. That's have a go at the L'Eroica, not test a lady's saddle. Anyone want to sell me a retro bike?