Box Hill challenge 2013

124»

Comments

• me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    philbar72 wrote:
    Name..........................Weight.......Time.....Month.....TOR.............................Watts/WattsKg/AvHR
    P_a_d_d_y..................64kg.........5:40.......May.......3rd cat..................375w
    JibberJim....................74kg........5.44.......May......Ex Club Run Hero .......412w..........
    Okgo..........................78kg.........5.58.......May......2nd cat road............440w
    iPete..........................69kg........6.03.......March.......Fixed 46x16.....
    MoscowFlyer..............79kg.........6:24........June..........Fitness
    Tom_UK......................60kg.......6.31.......Apr........
    Englander....................78kg.........6:44........May......I ride for fun
    Andy Bond...................77kg.......6.50.......April..........Fitness.................................177bpm/50yrs old....
    topcattim....................67kg........6.50........June........Commuter/leisure & sportive rider
    Ugo.santalucia.........don't want to know.. 6.55........May..........................
    Philbar72..................... 77kg..........6.58.....Jul.......... Clubrunner
    ajh18...........................62kg.......6.59.......Jul........Fitness, commuting, etc.........
    On_What......................Beer gut......7:06.........June......Commuter/Weekend Warrior
    Wavefront....................70kg........7.11.......May.......Road bike, commuting, for fun.
    Me-109........................76Kg........7:15.......July.......Former racer - 20 years ago! Shadow of former self.
    Rick Chasey..................55kg........7.15.........April......club runner (though time not set on club run...).
    Stueys........................77kg..........7.18..........May...........fun, fitness, etc..............
    diy.............................74kg........7.18.......july.......Fitness (Fasting Day)..165bpm/13mph/42yo
    Gabbo.........................84kg........7.31....March.......Fitness.......................
    Cumulonimbus...............90kg........7.33.......June.......Fitness/Triathlon
    goonz..........................64kg.......7.54.......May........Fitness/commuting, first time up it should and could do better!
    diy (full suss).................74kg.......9.17........July.......Chasin' roadies
    ChrisA.........................75kg..... 10.49........June 1.......Fitness
    Tried the Froome method of more revs. 10 secs improvement so something worked. Need to compare the 1/3rds segments to see where made up time (if I can find them in amongst all the other BH segments!).
  • Gabbo
    Gabbo Posts: 864
    Name..........................Weight.......Time.....Month.....TOR.............................Watts/WattsKg/AvHR
    P_a_d_d_y..................64kg.........5:40.......May.......3rd cat..................375w
    JibberJim....................74kg........5.44.......May......Ex Club Run Hero .......412w..........
    Okgo..........................78kg.........5.58.......May......2nd cat road............440w
    iPete..........................69kg........6.03.......March.......Fixed 46x16.....
    Gabbo..........................83kg.........6.50.......July.......Fitness etc
    Andy Bond...................77kg.......6.50.......April..........Fitness.................................177bpm/50yrs old....
    topcattim....................67kg........6.50........June........Commuter/leisure & sportive rider
    Ugo.santalucia.........don't want to know.. 6.55........May..........................
    ajh18...........................62kg.......6.59.......Jul........Fitness, commuting, etc.........
    On_What......................Beer gut......7:06.........June......Commuter/Weekend Warrior
    Wavefront....................70kg........7.11.......May.......Road bike, commuting, for fun.
    Me-109........................76Kg........7:15.......July.......Former racer - 20 years ago! Shadow of former self.
    Rick Chasey..................55kg........7.15.........April......club runner (though time not set on club run...).
    Stueys........................77kg..........7.18..........May...........fun, fitness, etc..............
    diy.............................74kg........7.18.......july.......Fitness (Fasting Day)..165bpm/13mph/42yo
    goonz..........................64kg.......7.54.......May........Fitness/commuting, first time up it should and could do better!
    diy (full suss).................74kg.......9.17........July.......Chasin' roadies

Set this new time a couple of weeks ago and from my recollection, it was about 9pm, clear sky with little wind. Was off the bike from March - early/mid June so have had to work back up. Bike weighs near to 10kg too but what enabled me to shed 41 seconds is getting in the miles and tackling even tougher hills I.e Leith Hill & Whitedown lane.

Andy & Topcat I know we've both got the same time, but I've been cheeky and placed myself above you because I weigh more ;-)
  • Gabbo
    Gabbo Posts: 864
    Gabbo..........................82kg........6.34........July.........Fitness etc

Second post of the day, because I decided I was going to attack Box Hill today and have set a new personal record in doing so. My best time when creating the thread was 7.35, with my target being sub-7 by July. Had three months off since early March and thought it was an impossible task starting up again in June. Am happy with my 6.34, but I want even lower. Will not target the segment for a good while now so I can concentrate on training properly instead of beating segments..
  • leejdavies
    leejdavies Posts: 217
    Had an attempt at this on the weekend. Have to say it was semi-foiled. I was overtaken on the third section by a car who then pulled in and slowed for the cyclists in front. Dropped down 3-5mph for a couple hundred yards before overtaking. And it was cooking windy. Headwind on first(although this is shaded) and third sections. But happy with 6min dead given the circumstance. My fastest is ~5:40. I'd like to get down toward 5:20-30 if possible at some point. But Box Hill is usually the last 'hill' of our club runs so never all that fresh to go all out.

P_a_d_d_y....................64kg..........5:40.......May.......3rd cat..................375w
    JibberJim....................74kg...........5.44.......May......Ex Club Run Hero .......412w..........
    Okgo..........................78kg...........5.58.......May......2nd cat road............440w
    leejdavies...................78kg...........6.00.......July.......3rd cat..........................N/a
    iPete..........................69kg..........6.03.......March.......Fixed 46x16.....
    MoscowFlyer................79kg...........6:24........June..........Fitness
    Tom_UK......................60kg...........6.31.......Apr........
    Gabbo.........................82kg...........6.34........July.........Fitness etc
    Englander....................78kg...........6:44........May......I ride for fun
    Andy Bond...................77kg...........6.50.......April..........Fitness.................................177bpm/50yrs old....
    topcattim....................67kg...........6.50........June........Commuter/leisure & sportive rider
    Ugo.santalucia..............don't want to know.. 6.55........May..........................
    Philbar72..................... 77kg...........6.58.....Jul.......... Clubrunner
    ajh18...........................62kg..........6.59.......Jul........Fitness, commuting, etc.........
    On_What......................Beer gut.....7:06.........June......Commuter/Weekend Warrior
    Stueys........................77kg.........7.18..........May...........fun, fitness, etc..............
    ChrisA.........................75kg..... .10.49........June 1.......Fitness
    Up: Wilier Mortirolo
    Down: Orange Patriot
  • ajh18
    ajh18 Posts: 41
    Thought I'd have another go before a few thousand people descend on the place tomorrow, rewarded with a PB. Happy days.

P_a_d_d_y....................64kg..........5:40.......May.......3rd cat..................375w
    JibberJim....................74kg...........5.44.......May......Ex Club Run Hero .......412w..........
    Okgo..........................78kg...........5.58.......May......2nd cat road............440w
    leejdavies...................78kg...........6.00.......July.......3rd cat..........................N/a
    iPete..........................69kg..........6.03.......March.......Fixed 46x16.....
    Gabbo.........................82kg...........6.34........July.........Fitness etc
    ajh18...........................62kg..........6.45.......Aug........Fitness, commuting, etc.........
    Andy Bond...................77kg...........6.50.......April..........Fitness.................................177bpm/50yrs old....
    topcattim....................67kg...........6.50........June........Commuter/leisure & sportive rider
    Ugo.santalucia..............don't want to know.. 6.55........May..........................
    On_What......................Beer gut.....7:06.........June......Commuter/Weekend Warrior
    Stueys........................77kg.........7.18..........May...........fun, fitness, etc..............
  • Happy with that, first go in a long time as do not live near. :D
    ajh18...........................62kg..........6.45.......Aug........Fitness, commuting, etc.........
    Cicada......................77kg..........7.00......Sept........Commuter/weekend warrior...162bpm
    More hills?
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Did this a couple of weeks ago at the end of an 80 mile ride - had forgotten about this thread!

BigMat........................82kg..........6.10.......Sep........2nd cat....................N/a
    Cicada......................77kg..........7.00......Sept........Commuter/weekend warrior...162bpm
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Congrats to everyone who took part in this challenge. Particularly those who manged under 6:30 - very impressive.

Last year my target was 7:30 which I hit. This year I'm aiming for under 7. As soon as it stops raining.
  • diy
    Is there a 2014 version of this.. just going through some of FIT files - I got me 6:46 to post :D
  • diy wrote:
    Is there a 2014 version of this.. just going through some of FIT files - I got me 6:46 to post :D

I did open a thread but nobody contributed. I think it's because is a popular segment on Strava, so there is no need for a thread?
    left the forum March 2023
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    diy wrote:

I did open a thread but nobody contributed. I think it's because is a popular segment on Strava, so there is no need for a thread?

Richmond Park 3 lap challenge is also a popular strava segment
  • diy wrote:

Richmond Park 3 lap challenge is also a popular strava segment

Someone should sue Strava... promoting speeding in a 20 mph zone... outrageous... :mrgreen:
  • diy
    The 20 mph limit is not applicable to bicycles.

But it is still an offence promoting an unauthorised cycle race or time trial.
  • diy wrote:
    The 20 mph limit is not applicable to bicycles.

It is in Richmond Park
  • diy
    I know.

It used to be the case that speed limits in royal parks applied to bicycles:, The Royal Parks and Other Open Spaces Regulations 1997 amended by the Royal Parks and Other Open Spaces (Amendment) Regulations 2004 stated that speed limits in the parks applied to all vehicles (not just motor vehicles). I recall at this time the limit was 30mph.

However, The Royal Parks and Other Open Spaces (Amendment) etc. Regulations 2010 include a definition of vehicle that applies only to motor vehicles (mechanically propelled), which deliberately or otherwise excluded bicycles from the definition of vehicle in the royal park. Thus, speed limits would not apply to bicycles in royal parks, just as they do not in general elsewhere.

You also have the whole issue of type approval for any device used to enforce a speed limit on a cycle - though that is not insurmountable
  • diy wrote:
    I know.

It used to be the case that speed limits in royal parks applied to bicycles:, The Royal Parks and Other Open Spaces Regulations 1997 amended by the Royal Parks and Other Open Spaces (Amendment) Regulations 2004 stated that speed limits in the parks applied to all vehicles (not just motor vehicles). I recall at this time the limit was 30mph.

However, The Royal Parks and Other Open Spaces (Amendment) etc. Regulations 2010 include a definition of vehicle that applies only to motor vehicles (mechanically propelled), which deliberately or otherwise excluded bicycles from the definition of vehicle in the royal park. Thus, speed limits would not apply to bicycles in royal parks, just as they do not in general elsewhere.

You also have the whole issue of type approval for any device used to enforce a speed limit on a cycle - though that is not insurmountable

People have been fined though...
  • diy
    There is an argument that the 30mph limit previously in force could still be applied. They made a bit of a mess with all the amendments to amendments. In any case an officer who suspects speeding and uses a hand-held radar gun (or mobile gatso etc. etc.) to corroborate his suspicion - has no legally admissible evidence of corroboration. There is a way he can get round this - but I'm not going to post that on a public forum and give them ideas.

I reckon you'd have a defense up to 30mph and there are a few law firms willing to make a name for themselves pro-bono if anyone gets a ticket.

There are easier ways they can get you - but I'm not posting them either. Plod are at best badly informed when it comes to the details as most of their "legal" expertise comes from memos and guides written in plod friendly language. Besides they don't make the decision to prosecute if you dispute the fixed penalty. At the end of the day they need it like that given the general low standard of education they have.