Highest Average for a 50+ mile ride

13»

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Ah go on, pull me apart!

111.9 miles at 19.4 total avg, 19.7 moving, 6575ft climbing on a spesh Allez with tri-bars, solo, no drafting.
    http://app.strava.com/activities/14194260

If it wasn't for cramp and a loo stop a 5 hour 100 was on the cards.

I should also mention this was after a 2.4 mile swim in a fecking cold lake and was proceeded by a 4 hour 30 marathon ;) I know, I know, breaking the rules...
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Kudos
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Bozman wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    danowat wrote:
    Nope, it IS meaningless, unless you are all riding in the same conditions and on the same terrain.
    Nope - it isn't meaningless ... so long as you're starting and ending at the same altitude.

Do you think Power is a better indicator? Well - the power required is also going to depend on wind/weather/weight/gradient - exactly the same problems you get with average speed.

The meaningless bit of it is reporting it to any degree of accuracy.

So you're saying that a gradual climb would be the same as lots of short sharp climbs?
    You show me a course like that then.

Last year I did loads of riding (by my standards) and my average speed was pretty much stable - whether I headed over the hills - including cat4 - or a completely flat run. Mainly solo runs - no tailgating! No they're not all exactly the same - just in the same ballpark area.
    Over winter the avg speed has dropped a bit - but I can still put a few fast runs in if conditions allow - but overall the avg speed is a bit lower than the summer - it's also on a different bike.

As I said - no point being exact - but there is a lot that can be done with a rough comparison.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,987
    iPete wrote:
    You should have willy waved.
  • iPete
    iPete wrote:

Did a willycopter at the time, that count?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    iPete wrote:
    Ah go on, pull me apart!

111.9 miles at 19.4 total avg, 19.7 moving, 6575ft climbing on a spesh Allez with tri-bars, solo, no drafting.

I should also mention this was after a 2.4 mile swim in a ******* cold lake and was proceeded by a 4 hour 30 marathon ;) I know, I know, breaking the rules...

Null void and GHEY

I on the other hand have twice cycled out of the wilderness into the great smoke, an 85-95 mile route depending on your garmin-foo both times avg 20+,ish mph until hitting embankment wall of traffic lights (yes some people stop on reds).

I also eat babies
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    iPete wrote:
    iPete wrote:

Did a willycopter at the time, that count?

Not unless you slapped a passer by in the face with it, anything else is just FAIL really :D
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    danowat wrote:
    marcusjb wrote:
    danowat wrote:
    My quickest 100 is 24mph average overall speed, I've ridden 250 miles in 12 hr's, getting on for 21mph average overall speed, good hey?

Yebbut, what was your average moving speed? :wink:

http://app.strava.com/activities/16885865

My point is context, both rides would have been more impressive if I wasn't racing, and on an old clunker in flappy kit :wink:

What cat was this race? ...You must be a cat 1 to manage 21mph average for 12 hours? Either that or on some strong dope!
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    I was a solo time trial, and no, I am not cat 1, probably cat 3 at best :) (not that I do road races anymore)
  • Some of you guys seem to be super human covering distances of 250 miles with an avg of 21mph. I could only dream of doing that!

Over 50 miles I average about 18.5mph, over 20 miles I average around 20mph although I'm gonna be trying to increase my speed over this summer if we ever get one!!
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    iPete wrote:
    Ah go on, pull me apart!

I should also mention this was after a 2.4 mile swim in a ******* cold lake and was proceeded by a 4 hour 30 marathon ;) I know, I know, breaking the rules...

oh dear.. you're a triathlete.. don't think you should have mentioned that :wink:
  • I know of a few people who ride bikes who regularly average over 100mph on their routes. They even call the place "Isle of man".
  • Jon_1976
    Jon_1976 Posts: 690
    Some of you guys seem to be super human covering distances of 250 miles with an avg of 21mph. I could only dream of doing that!

Over 50 miles I average about 18.5mph, over 20 miles I average around 20mph although I'm gonna be trying to increase my speed over this summer if we ever get one!!

I'd consider 18.5mph super human :mrgreen: 14.5mph is my best for 50+ miles. The highest I've ever had was 15.6 mph and that was only for a 10 mile run. Excuses..old, only been cycling since January and 20 years of smoking (now reformed :wink: )
    http://app.strava.com/activities/44207379
    Just enjoying getting out and doing some exercise tbh.
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    With a fast flat course, semi-closed roads and lots of drafting, silly times are possible.
    http://app.strava.com/segments/1398836
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Bloody hell you are all fast!

I did 14.8mph over a hilly 42 miles yesterday, with 4000 feet of vertical ascent (at average temperature 2degC), and I'm not super fit / lean, so I think this is a more reasonable average. Last year, in September I did the same ride at 6kg lighter and ambient temp around 20degC and did 16.3mph average.

On the flat, it's nearer 20mph (e.g. when I ride to Blackpool), excluding the initial very hilly bit.

It's not a useful comparison to say "what's your average" unless you are comparing riders over the SAME course, in the SAME climacteric conditions at the SAME temperature.
  • pride4ever
    pride4ever Posts: 510
    My cock is bigger than anyone's on here, that's enough for me.
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • iPete
    iPete wrote:
    Ah go on, pull me apart!

oh dear.. you're a triathlete.. don't think you should have mentioned that :wink:

:oops: more a cyclist who can't swim or a run, it is more fun that way, last out the lake first off the bike n all...
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Secteur wrote:
    It's not a useful comparison to say "what's your average" unless you are comparing riders over the SAME course, in the SAME climacteric conditions at the SAME temperature.

OOps somehow didnt realise this thread is into it's 4th page and this point has already been well covered!