Highest Average for a 50+ mile ride

gareth2134
gareth2134 Posts: 198
edited March 2013 in Road general
Hi People,
Just interested to know what other people have had as their best average over a 50 mile plus ride.

On a 50 mile i have had 17mph AVG against a headwind going to Southport.

Doing LEJOG over 9 days average 100+ miles a day with Panniers I got 15mph AVG

I do feel I could beat the 17mph over the 50 Mile and my aim this year is to do just that. :lol:

Comments

• I don't think trying to compare avg with others can give you a ballpark figure on how much to aim for. Personaly my good avg for a 50+ would be 28 mph with a reasonnably moderate to calm windy day. I actually got this avg in a Grand Fondo cyclosport event (not a race just a timed event) on a 70+ ride.

So this relate on the time you spend on the saddle and how much miles you got in your legs thus far :oP if your trying to improve. Aim for bettering your own score and be pround everytime you get a better feel on your bike and enjoy! It's not all about numbers but how much fun you get when you push yourself a bit :mrgreen:

Pierre
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    pturcot wrote:
    I don't think trying to compare avg with others can give you a ballpark figure on how much to aim for. Personaly my good avg for a 50+ would be 28 mph with a reasonnably moderate to calm windy day. I actually got this avg in a Grand Fondo cyclosport event (not a race just a timed event) on a 70+ ride.

So this relate on the time you spend on the saddle and how much miles you got in your legs thus far :oP if your trying to improve. Aim for bettering your own score and be pround everytime you get a better feel on your bike and enjoy! It's not all about numbers but how much fun you get when you push yourself a bit :mrgreen:

Pierre

Super first post - personally, I average 30+mph on my lizard if I am heading north by northeast and fully fuelled by custard.
  • pturcot wrote:
    I don't think trying to compare avg with others can give you a ballpark figure on how much to aim for. Personaly my good avg for a 50+ would be 28 mph with a reasonnably moderate to calm windy day. I actually got this avg in a Grand Fondo cyclosport event (not a race just a timed event) on a 70+ ride.
    I think you've got your 'internet speed' calculation wrong there. It should be x+10% and not x+100%, where x is your actual speed.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    pturcot wrote:

Pierre

How's life in the pro peleton. You, good sir, are a liar and an ass. :roll:

@op- nice job, keep it up!
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • GGBiker
    GGBiker Posts: 450
    28km/hr perhaps, or a downhill Fondo. Or maybe he is le Grand Fromage.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    It's perfectly achievable in a TT if you're strong as hell (the top guys will be at 30mph plus), but that doesn't really count in this case. Even if he had achieved that speed, belittling someone else's accomplishment by throwing your own about is pretty much the pinnacle of douchebaggery.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Grill wrote:
    belittling someone else's accomplishment by throwing your own about is pretty much the pinnacle of douchebaggery.

+ a gazillion. Especially when that same individual then states its not about numbers WTF?
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • I have a feeling he has simply confused mph for km/h.

I would say that if you can do 44.8km/h average (28mph) over 50 miles, and solo to boot, no peloton, then you are very, very good, Elite, with teams knocking at your door.

Besides, it's a bit meaningless to compare if you don't include; solo or group, wind direction and speed, vertical climb.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    I think people should be banned from quoting speed without evidence because most of it is bull$hit.

It depends on the route and conditions obviously:

but here are two of my examples

eg. 18.2mph over 90 miles - http://app.strava.com/activities/21359075 - a flat route, warm and windless day, and big fast group made this pretty effortless. I even felt the need to attack the last 20 miles solo after the group broke up since I had so much energy left :lol:

18.5mph over 58 miles - http://app.strava.com/activities/41074816 - much tougher ride, windier, and a small group
  • Notice how our hidden Pro said that 28mph was a 'good' average i.e. there's more to come.

That's a damn fast Lizard, and some damn fine custard.
  • Grill wrote:
    pturcot wrote:

Pierre

How's life in the pro peloton. You, good sir, are a liar and an ass. :roll:

@op- nice job, keep it up!

:lol:

Making me laugh & now clearing up the coffee spat across the laptop :oops:
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • As for the initial question, then last time I did a bang-on 50 miler door to door solo it was a largely flat route (1 significant climb) and a light wind. 18.5 ave was the result.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    pturcot wrote:
    Personaly my good avg for a 50+ would be 28 mph with a reasonnably moderate to calm windy day

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I suspect the guy meant 28km/h - which translates to roughly 17mph.
  • lol I have not been on here for a while and I forgot how much people tare into you if you get figures wrong haha made me laugh, yeah I think the guy meant kmh not mph.

Anyhow mine was 17mph on a flat route small climbs but killer head wind as it comes from the sea. I do however know I can better 17mph once I have gained my fitness levels and endurance in order to sustain the output. I always start slow and build then stay in a particular zone until the last mile where I really go for it.

When I get my new Domane5.2 in couple of weeks I plan of breaking some of my older limits and set some new ones, cant wait.

Really hope we have good weather this year, it's sonice blasting in the sun, rain and wind boring me now :)
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Yepp, all quite amusing this morning :)

OP, if you want to see how you fair against others and what speeds are 'normal' then join up on Strava and check out the Bike Radar virtual cycling club. You will find a fairly big range of speeds...even for the same rider on different routes, but most tend to be in the avg range of 20-25kph, but some folks/rides are more, some are less. Enjoy your new bike when it comes, that's the main thing.
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    danowat wrote:
    pturcot wrote:
    Personaly my good avg for a 50+ would be 28 kph = 17.5mph with a reasonnably moderate to calm windy day

FTFY
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I did 12.6 mph last weekend on a 45 miler in Cornwall and Devon with an average of 75 ft per mile climb ...I'm now thinking it might be time to turn pro so looking for an over 60 team to join...
  • My slowest average so far this year has been 42.9mph.
  • My slowest average so far this year has been 42.9mph.

Down the Tourmalet?!
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    One thing that slightly skews average speed (IMHO) on Strava (and using many bike computers) is that it's only interested in moving average rather than total elapsed average speed.

(not having a go at anyone in here) - So people will say they've ridden at an average of (let's say) 28kph, but they've taken long breaks after 30-40km.

I'm much more interested in elapsed average as that is a much more useful guide to someone's fitness - anyone with a good level of fitness can average in the high 20s for shorter periods of, let's say, under an hour and then rest before doing it again. It's those who can ride at speed for many hours that are much more impressive.

Anyway - it's all just numbers and the only person you should really be comparing numbers with is yourself. But moving average is not the best measure (IMHO) - I can sprint at a moving average of over 40kph - but not for very long!
  • I regularly try to ride 50 miles in under an hour; I am yet to succeed!
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I've managed 19.3 for a solo 103 miler. Was pretty flat, but did have to cycle out of London where lights and traffic always slows you down. Have also managed 19.3 over an 85 miler. Both done Solo, both are moving averages. On both occasions the Garmin read a higher av speed by around .4 mph but as is its won't, Strava reduced them each time.

http://app.strava.com/activities/19012628

http://app.strava.com/activities/12082523

There are so many factors at play though that comparing against others etc is a waste of time. Better to set yourself a goal in this regard. Personally I'd love to manage a solo 100 miler with an av of 20mph.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I think you have 19.3 glitch in your software :-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • marcusjb wrote:
    One thing that slightly skews average speed (IMHO) on Strava (and using many bike computers) is that it's only interested in moving average rather than total elapsed average speed.

(not having a go at anyone in here) - So people will say they've ridden at an average of (let's say) 28kph, but they've taken long breaks after 30-40km.

I'm much more interested in elapsed average as that is a much more useful guide to someone's fitness - anyone with a good level of fitness can average in the high 20s for shorter periods of, let's say, under an hour and then rest before doing it again. It's those who can ride at speed for many hours that are much more impressive.

Anyway - it's all just numbers and the only person you should really be comparing numbers with is yourself. But moving average is not the best measure (IMHO) - I can sprint at a moving average of over 40kph - but not for very long!

Could not agree more with this, and I was going to actually state this at the start but didn't want to make it to fussy and have no one post reply but yes I agree, elapsed time is the honest AVG from it all.
  • I regularly try to ride 50 miles in under an hour; I am yet to succeed!

I have a great run to southport and back and it's a 50 mile route bang on so I do get to enjoy the 50 milers. It's a straight run with unseen gradiant on the way but no benefits coming back lol as the wind attacks you from left and right from the open fields.

I do ruthin in wales for my 100 milers and my 100 mile point is at the very top of the horse shoe pass as thats our starting point to.

We start at the top go down the back around ruthin and finish at the top of the pass and it.s 99.5 miles exact. If anyone decideds to do the route I am sure you will love it and their is one section that just kills you on the run you feel like your in scotland as it's open plain fields that you climb and climb but the head wind sapps you until you hit a down hill section that is incredible and talking about it now makes me want to do it.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    I've managed 19.3 for a solo 103 miler. Was pretty flat, but did have to cycle out of London where lights and traffic always slows you down. Have also managed 19.3 over an 85 miler. Both done Solo, both are moving averages. On both occasions the Garmin read a higher av speed by around .4 mph but as is its won't, Strava reduced them each time.

There are so many factors at play though that comparing against others etc is a waste of time. Better to set yourself a goal in this regard. Personally I'd love to manage a solo 100 miler with an av of 20mph.

Impressive stuff! But, taking your 100 miler, and looking at elapsed average, it's 'only' 17.3 mph (still massively quicker than me over 100 miles, so I am not trying to belittle you or anything!). Shows what, even, under 40 minutes stopped does for average speeds.

Speed's a pretty rubbish measure of anything really - even as a measure against yourself - unless you ride the same course a LOT of times, the individual factors (wind, weather, traffic, tyre pressure etc. etc.) on any given day are too numerous to give really useful metrics.

On a route you ride a lot, you can start to detect trends as a measure of improvement - but just taking one off faster performances as a sign of improvement is not the right thing to do. Equally, worrying about one slower performance is daft because some days the wind is against you, you don't feel 100% whatever.

(my little bit of willy-waving) - I was pleased with an elapsed average of 19.8kph at the weekend (moving average of 22.1kph) - I did ride 349km though.
  • marcusjb wrote:

Impressive stuff! But, taking your 100 miler, and looking at elapsed average, it's 'only' 17.3 mph (still massively quicker than me over 100 miles, so I am not trying to belittle you or anything!). Shows what, even, under 40 minutes stopped does for average speeds.

Speed's a pretty rubbish measure of anything really - even as a measure against yourself - unless you ride the same course a LOT of times, the individual factors (wind, weather, traffic, tyre pressure etc. etc.) on any given day are too numerous to give really useful metrics.

On a route you ride a lot, you can start to detect trends as a measure of improvement - but just taking one off faster performances as a sign of improvement is not the right thing to do. Equally, worrying about one slower performance is daft because some days the wind is against you, you don't feel 100% whatever.

(my little bit of willy-waving) - I was pleased with an elapsed average of 19.8kph at the weekend (moving average of 22.1kph) - I did ride 349km though.

Excellent distance covered and excellent AVG to if I say so myself. The most distance covered in 1 day was when I did LEJOG and I didnt like the BnB where I was staying so decided to go to the next closest town which was a further further 45 miles away but at least the BnB wasn't on top of a banged up pub where you needed knuckle dusters to order a drink. I did 145 miles total that day with panniers on the back which had more than was needed in them but I didn't get an average for the day. Over the 9 days I got a moving average of 15mph over 1000 mile so I was quite happy with that.

This year is all about the hills and endurance and I am going to really attack it.
  • jane90
    jane90 Posts: 149
    Hi all, a newbie question if you don't mind (from a cycling newbie) - how meaningful is a comparison of average speeds? I went out today at lunchtime for a short 15 mile ride and was struggling to reach a top speed in cold, blustery conditions not much more than my average speed a couple of days ago on a 30 mile ride when it was about 10 degrees warmer and windless. How much of that was due to me being a bit rubbish today and how much the conditions? If the latter, doesn't that make this sort of comparison a bit arbitrary?
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877

:roll: turn off auto-pause for a TRUE average speed.