Oscar Pistorious kills girlfriend

Comments

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    mamba80 wrote:
    This thread is unbelievable.
    A 30 yo woman is dead and 2 families destroyed - that anyone thinks its a topic for "humour" is sick.

Yesterday was "one billion and rising" an action to try and stop violence against women.

why not crack jokes about the mumbia rape/murder victim or the 2 cyclists killed in Bristol recently?
    I'm more upset about the death of a person I didn't know than you are! :roll:

The subject of ridicule here is Oscar Pistorius and quite rightly so. What kind of idiot blasts the first person through his front door 4 times!

Maybe it would be ok to make light if the victim was black with a criminal past? :wink:
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • bontie
    bontie Posts: 177
    Mikey23 wrote:
    To say nothing of disability 'jokes'. It seems that south Africa's golden boy has fallen in a spectacular way. I would be interested to know whether it is legal to carry guns for self defense in that country. Also what to folks think about whether it is possible to live a normal life in a walled and marshalled enclave that sets you apart from the majority of the population

Your "normal" is relative...
    And yes, provided its licensed, it is legal to own a gun for self defence.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Jokes are quite funny
    Clowns are Hilarious
    but please don't make fun
    of Oscar Pistorious
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    ddraver wrote:
    Uh oh the Daily Mail have found us boys....

What? Were we supposed to be hiding from the DM? I didn't get the memo.

They'll probably get that pointless sour-faced cow Petronella Wyatt to make up another story about cyclists. I wonder if Oscar ever rode a bike......

What is the DM saying about us?
  • GiantMike
    Mikey23 wrote:
    I started reading this thread expecting a serious debate......

Ha ha ha. Really?

OK, here you go. I don't think that people should have guns or shoot other people. Especially on purpose. Or accidentally.

Anybody care to debate this point? Any alternative views?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    GiantMike wrote:
    Mikey23 wrote:
    I started reading this thread expecting a serious debate......

Ha ha ha. Really?

OK, here you go. I don't think that people should have guns or shoot other people. Especially on purpose. Or accidentally.

Anybody care to debate this point? Any alternative views?

Yeehaa well hot dam boi you done gone posted something mighty silly there. Its our humin raaayt to have owl the guns in the whola Texas if I here want them for protikshun of my trailer park praapaarty now.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RowCycle
    RowCycle Posts: 367
    Gabbo wrote:
    Okay, all jokes aside for a moment (if that's possible).

He claimed he suspected a burglar, however there were previously reports of domestic violence or some form of abuse at his very own address. He did, however, state a couple months ago on twitter how he suspected that there was an intruder inside his house, only to find that his girlfriend had been in to put the tumble dryer on. His weapons are licensed to him and he lives in a country full of violence.

Question is, did he intend to kill her? Or did he genuinely mistake her for someone else? Even so, should he be charged for murder? I say yes! Why shoot ANY intruder in the head? Shooting someone in the head is an attempt to kill, not make less able.

Think I read that the prosecution is going for premeditated murder.
  • DesB3rd
    DesB3rd Posts: 285
    4 in the hands and head (instinctively putting hands in front of face?) - O.P. was apparent pretty handy with his gun but that still doesn't sound like a snap shoot in a low visability environment...
    Why shoot ANY intruder in the head?

I've read comments from American posters (elsewhere) that aiming for the peripherals is daft, not just because you're more likely to miss but because a dead body makes the post-shooting interactions with the law a lot easier than some wise-as with a shot away pelvis, an alternative version of events and the capacity to initiate civil proceedings. Head, as opposed to a center of mass, is a little odd though...
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    I have friends and relatives in the emergency services and military. To them black humour is a part of everyday life and even encouraged.

One summed it up "You need black humour to get over events or you'd be suffering from depression".
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • ddraver wrote:
    Uh oh the Daily Mail have found us boys....

More the The Guardian than DM.

Does this make us The Sun?
  • Poor cow, she and him had only been together since November. She must have got right on his tits.
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • GiantMike
    Poor cow, she and him had only been together since November. She must have got right on his tits.

That's it, blame the victim!
  • lived in jo burg for 2 years and back packed the whole of southern africa in the mid 90s - life is incredibly cheap in SA and its got worse since then, nr our "plot" a couple disturbed a burglary, the husband was hacked to death and his wife burnt alive with a tire - almost every family has a gun and if you can afford it, lives behind a "gate" - armed response units are/were everywhere.
    i think the murder rate per 100,000 is double that of the 'states - the locals say "well most of it is blk on blk" so thats ok then! oh yeah their traffic death rate is rather high as well :)

Despite all that, i loved the place, had the exchanged rate stopped dropping through the floor, would have stayed there.

Who knows if OP is a murdering maniac or someone who made a terrible mistake - he has the presence of mind to bring in the top lawyers/PR guys, maybe another OJ Simson in the making?

Either way, seeing as we arnt first on scene, why the black humour? its a bloody mess for everyone involved.
  • I've read most of the comments on this thread and what people have to appreciate is this is an internet forum.

We're all individualls and are not all 100% honest to our real life personalities, this must be born in mind when reading comments.

Whenever anyone famous/in the public eye are involved in genuine tragedy we all make a call on wether that incident is one we wish to make serious comment on or be flippent about. I'm not sure where/what makes me personally make one call or the other. I suppose it's how comfortable I feel in myself making a particular comment. If someone want's to treat this particular incident with black humour it's their call, if consequently, they then get some sh1t I'm sure it's no more than they'd expect. As I said it's an internet forum.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Supposedly during their search the police have found PEDs too...
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • This morning on BBC Radio 6 Music, they ran coverage of his court appearance on the news. The next track played was "Hey Joe" by Hendrix. Timing is, as they say, everything!
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    So I have this possible burglar person locked in my bathroom and I'm outside with a gun... Shall I 1) call the police or 2) fire indiscriminately three times through the bathroom door...
  • Mikey23 wrote:
    So I have this possible burglar person locked in my bathroom and I'm outside with a gun... Shall I 1) call the police or 2) fire indiscriminately three times through the bathroom door...
    Depends if you think the burglar also has a gun.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Read my post, or do a quick google about crime in SA.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    k-dog wrote:
    Supposedly during their search the police have found PEDs too...
    Defence are claiming herbal remedies.
    Aye, right!
    From a cycling point of view, I hope this can blow open that all sports are tainted. Finding the positive.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    Mikey23 wrote:

3 Not check to see if my girlfriend has got up in the middle of the night for a pee pee.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • lucan2
    lucan2 Posts: 293
    I hope it wasn't testosterone that was found in his house. I believe excessive amounts of testosterone can cause paranoia and have other unwanted side effects. Not what you want when you have guns around the house.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Mikey23 wrote:

I once worked with a guy from South Africa and I once spent 3 weeks there. I was informed by good sources that prisons in South Africa are that bad, criminals don't often leave witnesses. There's cases of people being mugged then murdered afterwards.

When I was there, it seemed almost every house had bars over the windows, high garden walls with a electric gate. I saw some car driving around slowly with a green flashing light on the roof. I asked my friend what it was? He replied it was a private armed guard the neighbourhood subscribes to.

Driving out of car parks, you had to show your car keys to the car park attendant to get let out.

I asked my friend when we were going to the centre of Jo'berg to do some shopping, like we take for granted in the UK. He replied you don't dare go into the centre of Jo'berg unless its an emergency like you've lost your passport, you'd stick to your safe suburbs.

I remember one shopping mall in Cape Town had a police armoured personnel carrier outside it.

I got stopped for speeding over there, after I was 30 rand shorter the ticket accidentally got destroyed. Nobody stops at red traffic lights at night too.

From my experience out there, I personally didn't see any crime. But I've never seen anywhere with such a big difference between the rich and poor, it was one extreme to another. I was informed talking about crime is a national past time and if they didn't they would have nothing else to talk about at the dinner table .
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    Is crime like their version of weather then?
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    So is crime the consequence of elite gated communities or a necessary means of self protection? discuss in not less than 1500 words. Doesn't seem much of a lifestyle to me...
  • It's the consequence of being in a society where there's apparently not enough wealth to go round.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    It's the consequence of being in a society where there's apparently not enough wealth to go round.

Eh? So why is it so different in Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, etc.?
    More problems but still living....
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    It's the consequence of being in a society where there's apparently not enough wealth to go round.
    There's plenty of wealth. It is concentrated in a few hands and resented by the many.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    There's plenty of wealth. It is concentrated in a few hands and resented by the many.

This.