What did you see on the way home?

rolf_f
rolf_f Posts: 16,015
edited November 2014 in Commuting chat
I saw......

I saw a lorry stuck on a gentle hill that was probably shortly going to be gridlocking Leeds unless it got moving.
I saw a car that had descended a slope (steep enough that I was walking down it) and gone through a wall, down a bank and parked untidily in some trees.
I saw a couple of buses that seemed to be playing synchronised manouvering (and traffic gridlocking).
I saw a tipper truck that thought it a good idea to drive along next to me (couple of feet clear) with nowhere else to go despite the surface being slippery and unpredictable
I saw a lot of deceptively slippery road surfaces that cars were, in the few stretches of clear road, whizzing along at a rate that they would have got into trouble if they needed to stop quickly
I saw that the 7.8 miles recorded on my trip meter took 51 minutes and 39 seconds to complete. Still almost 10 minutes quicker than my all time slowest commute home (also in snow).
I saw that 23mm Schwalbe Duranos don't really give a confident ride on packed snow.
I didn't see any cars that I passed again!

I left work at 3 - I should have left earlier......
Faster than a tent.......

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,341
    At least you only saw things and didn't hit any of them.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    The inside of a train carriage :oops:
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    vermin wrote:
    The inside of a train carriage :oops:

Mine was a tube. :|
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I saw a woman with the most amazing arse wearing skin tight leg ins everything else was a blur.

Yummy
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Someone negotiating a sweeping right hand bend with that high friction surface on it at 20mph because there was some snow in the fields.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • pete_s
    pete_s Posts: 213
    The floor, coming at me very quickly.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Very little, it was dark, snowing and my glasses were wet.
    I did notice a pair of swans swimming on part of the path that's under water again....
    Misguided Idealist
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    I saw snow..............
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • Rain and lots of it blown into my face by a wind that went from 5mph to 25mph and swung from SE (following) to NW (headwind) at 5pm on the nail! 105 miles and 1800m in 3 days on Ice Spikered MTB. Legs are gubbed...
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I didn't see the splatters of road crud hitting my face on the way home until I saw the look on Mrs Ini's face. That's what I get for being the drafting fairy.

Was glad I still had the Snow Studs on I thought about taking them of at the weekend so it snowed today must have done 1000 miles on them this winter.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • tetley10
    tetley10 Posts: 693
    A couple of absolute sorts in a car at a set of lights.
    Not much beyond that, I attempted to empty the tanks on the way home.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,721
    Nowt to speak of on the way home; eerily quiet in fact, but on the way in, a large skein of geese passed over my head at a height of less than 30 feet.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • On my commute, I cycle over a runway, pass an airport terminal, go through passport control, pass a gas refinery, cycle along a quiet sea road, pass what I believe are the remains of the earliest roman settlement outside of Italy, I pass a field full of solar panels generating electricity, three brothels, two strip clubs one of which I believe has bed rooms, then the last two miles are pretty unremarkable, though I do pass a Roman Aquifer but i´ve never seen it, I´m not sure what I´m looking for, there are plenty of nesting storks, and I finish off by going over a bridge that was once upon a time a roman bridge.
  • rolf_f
    pete_s wrote:
    The floor, coming at me very quickly.

Errrrr - you might want to elaborate on that! :shock:
    neilochx wrote:
    .......... though I do pass a Roman Aquifer but i´ve never seen it, I´m not sure what I´m looking for,

An aquifer is water bearing rock - eg the Chalk of South and Eastern England. Most aquifers were around a few hundred million years before the Romans so even they aren't old enough to have any claim over their construction! Probably your entire commute is over an aquifer. The Romans might have been the first known to sink wells into it though for water supply.

You might mean a Roman aqueduct which, if intact, would be hard to mistake (like a railway viaduct) but is more likely just foundations or a line in a field. Where is your commute? It sounds like it has everything you could want!
  • bigmonka
    bigmonka Posts: 361
    A dead deer
    A dead badger
    A dead squirrel
    A dead fox

All on the same 2mile stretch of road.
  • rolf_f
    BigMonka wrote:
    A dead deer
    A dead badger
    A dead squirrel
    A dead fox

Got to say, damn good shot old chap! But doesn't the recoil interfere with your speed stats? :lol:
  • CJ Bill
    CJ Bill Posts: 415
    A pothole
    A dint in my rim that quickly split
    A train
    My LBS :(
  • well err I see dead people :shock:

running red lights
    riding in the dark with no lights
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • BigMonka wrote:
    A dead deer
    A dead badger
    A dead squirrel
    A dead fox

Game pie for tea tonight?
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • A florists on the URR. Followed by 1.5 miles of very wobbly riding with 50 quids worth of Kenyas finest hanging in a gift bag attached to my left hand.

Three corners of the bag survived intact.... one corner however did get a chewing from the spokes on 3 or 4 occasions. The roses and I got home in one piece though
    Black Pearson Imnotanumber- FCN 4
    Blue Marin Team Issue MTB - FCN around 30
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    a rat, a smashed up toilet, a burnt out scooter, rabbits, an oil rig being built or dismantled - not sure which, a pair of knickers on a fence, some pylons, a man lurking in a bush, a lost shoe, some kittiwakes, enormous drums of cabling, mud and an LED illuminated horse.
  • vermin
    jomoj wrote:
    a rat, a smashed up toilet, a burnt out scooter, rabbits, an oil rig being built or dismantled - not sure which, a pair of knickers on a fence, some pylons, a man lurking in a bush, a lost shoe, some kittiwakes, enormous drums of cabling, mud and an LED illuminated horse.

The Generation Game has really gone downhill in recent years.
  • jomoj
    vermin wrote:
    jomoj wrote:

The Generation Game has really gone downhill in recent years.

I blame austerity.
  • jomoj wrote:
    a pair of knickers on a fence....

Those might be mine. Any chance you could post them to me. Don't bother washing them... :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • rolf_f
    jomoj wrote:

This has to be Aberdeen, Glasgow or Middlesborough :lol:
  • Re question above, my commute as described above is the journey home to Los Barrios from work in Gibraltar.
  • jomoj
    Rolf F wrote:
    jomoj wrote:

This has to be Aberdeen, Glasgow or Middlesborough :lol:

Closeish - Newcastle. I don't think they build rigs in 'Boro, just deal with the output. To be fair I've painted it in a poor light, I could have mentioned the bits of Roman wall, the nature reserves and the semi-naked hen parties staggering along the Quayside as well but it's been that kind of day.
  • vermin
    Lots of artics passing at over 70mph within a couple of feet on both sides (I may have taken a wrong turning :shock: )