Buy tools or pay shop?

13»

Comments

• Riggsy12
    Riggsy12 Posts: 156
    Wow as this thread has hit four pages quick update... I bought the tools fitted the new cassette to the new rear wheel (Using the adjustable spanner :)) I then fitted the rear mech, went out quite straight forward untill it came to fitted the rear gear cable... The cable was already slightly fraid (Spelling) I ended up fraying it even more :( Couldn't manage to get it threw the hole in the screw as it was so fraid... Rang my LBS (Specialized/trek stockists) Took the bike down, left it over night, by 12pm next day it was done, new rear gear cable fitted, rear/front mech adjusted, brakes adjusted, everything lubed £23 all in...

Looking back on it I could have saved the £23 and bought a new rear cable for only £3 (Didnt know it was so cheap at the time) But it was good to get down to my LBS (For only the 2nd time) to chat and learn more about my bike/road bikes in general :)

The mechanic that did the work on my bike had his bike out the front, a Trek Madone 5.9!!!!! AWESOME!

Ps big thanks to everyones input on here :mrgreen:
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Gonna be a smart ass:
    Navrig wrote:
    Both.

Buy the tools. £20.

Bodge the repair.

Pay the LBS to sort the bodge and do the original repair. £25.

Simples.

This weeks winning lottery numbers will be 7, 12, 25, 29, 41
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Not so smart if they come up, you will be sharing it with me :lol:
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    You wont win big, you need 6 numbers :-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • navrig
    You will note that I have only quoted 5 numbers........
  • Anonymous
    £40 buys the 6th :wink:
  • navrig
    Carbonator wrote:

Nope. The 6th number is the number my torque wrench, at home, is currently set to. I haven't used it for a few months so I have no idea what it is. It may have been used on my bicycle or my motorbike so the range could be 10-50Nm.
  • Anonymous
    Actually there are 49 numbers so it will cost me £44 to get the 6th number (as I already have 5).
    4 is my lucky number, so 44 is even more tempting. Coupled with your monkey avitar I think its fate!
  • navrig
    Carbonator wrote:
    Actually there are 49 numbers so it will cost me £44 to get the 6th number (as I already have 5).
    4 is my lucky number, so 44 is even more tempting. Coupled with your monkey avitar I think its fate!

You want to couple with my monkey :shock: ?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Navrig wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:

Nope. The 6th number is the number my torque wrench, at home, is currently set to. I haven't used it for a few months so I have no idea what it is. It may have been used on my bicycle or my motorbike so the range could be 10-50Nm.
    unless it is set to Zero you are not doing it any favours.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • navrig
    nicklouse wrote:
    Navrig wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:

unless it is set to Zero you are not doing it any favours.

'T'was a joke however the spring will be undone/loosened off so shouldn't be causing any harm.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    hard to tell on my screen ;)
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • navrig
    nicklouse wrote:
    hard to tell on my screen ;)

True.

If these numbers come up I'll be kicking myself for sharing them!!
  • Anonymous
    As I was buying all the tickets I noticed that the Euro Millions jackpot is £44M!
    Spooky :shock: