Is this the worst forum in the world ?

Comments

• VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    I think one of the major issues is point to point contact, its always going to be difficult when talking without viewing emotions and perceiving reactions. It amazes me how in little over a month I have made more enemies on this forum than I have in real life in 20 years !
    I cant quite grasp the ease in which people bring insults into arguments so frequently on a forum either, I would be horrified to be called a liar in real life as I am sure many here would yet here it is simply used as a passing comment.
    I guess the price of finding friends and getting answers here is the odd negative comment so for me its a price im willing to pay.
    Living MY dream.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    VTech wrote:
    I think one of the major issues is point to point contact, its always going to be difficult when talking without viewing emotions and perceiving reactions. It amazes me how in little over a month I have made more enemies on this forum than I have in real life in 20 years !

Maybe in real life you don't come across as such a smart arse!
  • VTech
    Flasher wrote:
    VTech wrote:

Maybe in real life you don't come across as such a smart ars*!

But im the best at what I do so I guess I would to some.
    Here on the other hand ive simply asked questions from people who I am sure know plenty more than me and for that I get sarcastic comments like yours which I cant understand.
    Living MY dream.
  • VTech wrote:
    Flasher wrote:
    VTech wrote:

But im the best at what I do .

:roll:
  • VTech
    edited February 2013
    Brakeless wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    Flasher wrote:
    VTech wrote:

But im the best at what I do .

:roll:

But if I said differently I would have been totally honest.
    If you asked Messi who is the best footballer and he said "me" would he be a smart a$s ?
    Living MY dream.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    VTech wrote:
    Flasher wrote:
    VTech wrote:

But im the best at what I do so I guess I would to some.
    Here on the other hand ive simply asked questions from people who I am sure know plenty more than me and for that I get sarcastic comments like yours which I cant understand.

Honestly it's not sarcasm, seriously how arrogant do you have to be to believe that you're the best at anything whether true or not, and to write it tells everyone everything they need to know about you.
  • VTech
    Please take what I wrote as tongue and cheek, as with most people/jobs I, like everyone else are only the best until someone better comes along so I happily go through life hoping I get another day but knowing one day there will be someone else who takes my job.
    This is no different to other people in other jobs.
    Living MY dream.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    VTech wrote:
    But if I said differently I would have been totally honest.
    If you asked Messi who is the best footballer and he said "me" would he be a smart a$s ?

I would expect someone of Messi's calibre to have slightly more humility. You should look the word up.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Get some riding under your belt, laddie., you're posting stuff that basically people are taking a pleasure in replying at 90 degrees to you to send you off again :wink:
    Tomorrow is going to be another day and by all accounts good with it.
  • VTech
    As I said, it was tongue in cheek, but to be frank, whats wrong in being the best ? whats wrong in having confidence ?
    Im afraid its abundant in my field and that why we are the best, there is no room for misgiving or missing self belief im afraid.
    Living MY dream.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Dude, there is a thin line between arrogance and self-confidence.

I think your own tag line probably sums up some of the hostility to you - surely you don't mind it because you can close the lid to your laptop (or imac) and go quaff some champagne?!

Just chill, listen to the answers people give to your questions, ignore the haters (but do ask yourself if you are causing any of the hating) and remember the internet is not real life.

And seriously. Ride your bike. Nice day tomorrow (hopefully)....
  • VTech
    mroli wrote:
    Dude, there is a thin line between arrogance and self-confidence.

I think your own tag line probably sums up some of the hostility to you - surely you don't mind it because you can close the lid to your laptop (or imac) and go quaff some champagne?!

Just chill, listen to the answers people give to your questions, ignore the haters (but do ask yourself if you are causing any of the hating) and remember the internet is not real life.

And seriously. Ride your bike. Nice day tomorrow (hopefully)....

I take on board what you say, just wanted to let you know, the signature came after the hating.

I only came here for info on cycling.
    Living MY dream.
  • Drop the signature then and stop fighting back - you will make a much less interesting target.

Also, - if you are in the mood for self reflection - as you are riding tommorow consider:

1) Why am I coming accross as arrogant, spoilt by wealth and self indulgance if I am really none of those things?

Then ask yourself - Do I care?

If the answer is no - keep your signature as it is and keep going as you are (its fun reading your posts so suits me).

If the answer is yes though - reflect on each future post and yourself - there is nothing wrong with being proud of your acheivements but genuine pride invovles only celebration (normaly a quite internal process in the most succesfull and happy people) - problematic pride (infecting one with arrogance, self indulgance and the inability to understand perspectives generated from lives very different to our own) involves comparison.

This endeth todays lesson :D
  • VTech
    Drop the signature then and stop fighting back - you will make a much less interesting target.

Also, - if you are in the mood for self reflection - as you are riding tommorow consider:

1) Why am I coming accross as arrogant, spoilt by wealth and self indulgance if I am really none of those things?

Then ask yourself - Do I care?

If the answer is no - keep your signature as it is and keep going as you are (its fun reading your posts so suits me).

If the answer is yes though - reflect on each future post and yourself - there is nothing wrong with being proud of your acheivements but genuine pride invovles only celebration (normaly a quite internal process in the most succesfull and happy people) - problematic pride (infecting one with arrogance, self indulgance and the inability to understand perspectives generated from lives very different to our own) involves comparison.

This endeth todays lesson :D

Noted:

|
    |
    |
    \/
    Living MY dream.
  • VTech wrote:
    Yes, ive ridden the bike but only once.

£5000 on a bike and equipment? Ridden it only once in a month, but time for nearly 500 posts on this forum? Really beginning to doubt you're for real. Quite a well-judged troll, though, if that's what this is.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    You cant be the best because I am, see it's my forum name so it must be true :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • I too considered very very sophisticated troll as an explanation but I am inclined to believe this guy is for real. I know a very few, very very wealthy people, a little and he does remind me of them a bit.

If he's a troll he's the best fun though anyway :D
  • I am the best

The competition was to be fatest and slowest.
  • It was run on Alpe D'Huez

I didn't even make the '
  • VTech
    ooermissus wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    Yes, ive ridden the bike but only once.

£5000 on a bike and equipment? Ridden it only once in a month, but time for nearly 500 posts on this forum? Really beginning to doubt you're for real. Quite a well-judged troll, though, if that's what this is.

Why do you think im overweight and in need of exercise ?
    I sit on my derrière in an office writing code and deciding if a 1gram saving of carbon will work with a new hex code we have written.
    The money isnt an issue, it wouldnt matter if the investment was £300, it still wouldnt change the fact that ive only been out on the bike once since it arrived.

But then I am competitive in everything I do so in between posting those replies and threads on here ive clocked up several hundred km on the turbo and I feel so much better for it so whatever "troll" you believe me to be, keep that picture to yourself, its getting me freaked :wink:
    Living MY dream.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Do they have eating competitions in the Works canteen?
  • VTech
    No, most of them are incredibly fit, I am the odd one out im afraid.
    Most of them also cycle, some on a pro-am basis which is what turned me to cycling as I really cant stand running.
    Living MY dream.
  • VTech wrote:
    Most of them also cycle, some on a pro-am basis which is what turned me to cycling as I really cant stand running.

Which 'pro - am ' teams do they ride for?
  • Brakeless wrote:
    VTech wrote:

Which 'pro - am ' teams do they ride for?

I'm betting a 2nd cat superchipper team
  • VTech
    Im not too sure if its a team as such, they often go on cycle rides with professionals for various reasons, I guess publicity at times but fitness is paramount so they wouldnt have an issue cycling the 2 routes I was given earlier for Strada :)
    Living MY dream.
  • VTech wrote:
    Im not too sure if its a team as such, they often go on cycle rides with professionals for various reasons, I guess publicity at times but fitness is paramount so they wouldnt have an issue cycling the 2 routes I was given earlier for Strada :)

:lol:
  • VTech wrote:

Do they have carbon coated water bottles as well ?
  • VTech
    Brakeless wrote:
    VTech wrote:

Do they have carbon coated water bottles as well ?

Yes and no, the cage and holder is carbon but the bag is made of the same as mine will be made from.
    Living MY dream.
  • VTech wrote:
    As I said, it was tongue in cheek, but to be frank, whats wrong in being the best ? whats wrong in having confidence ?
    Im afraid its abundant in my field and that why we are the best, there is no room for misgiving or missing self belief im afraid.
    Excuse me, but I'm Frank and I'm not having the likes of you trying to be me. :wink:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • VTech
    :mrgreen:
    Living MY dream.
This discussion has been closed.