Ride London 100, am I in?

Comments

• brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    If all else fails, you could get yourself a cheap bike bag and claim it's luggage when taking it into the hotel...

I am not sure what to do regarding car etc or just get a train in and then let them take a bag to the mall for me.

Just out of interest, do you get a jersey if you do and don't get in?
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • Jboy
    Jboy Posts: 34
    I managed to get a charity place with British Heart Foundation. Just booked a room at Travelodge next to the Olympic park and found that they are also happy to allow bikes to be stored in the hotel room. They also had a few rooms left when I checked (Premier Inn and Holiday Inn are booked up already - Hope this isn't a reflection on the quality of the hotel).
    All I need to do now is work out how to get from the finish line back to the hotel... Oh, and how to complete the ride in a respectable time!
    Have thought the same so I went on Garmin Connect,plotted route (Admiralty Arch to Olympic Park) which comes out at 6.9 miles,then downloaded route to my Edge to get me back. Cant use Tube or Buses for obvious reasons. Hope this helps a little.
    Cannondale Carbon Rush 4 08
    GT Aggressor 2.0
    Orbea Enol Team Rep
  • Jboy
    Jboy Posts: 34
    Mikey1976 wrote:
    but I'm going to send a quick email to see if there would be a problem. I hope not as I'm not leaving my bike in the car overnight!
    Could just strip it down and smuggle it in I suppose haha
    I'm going to take the 'ask for forgiveness, not permission' approach, but I'd still be interested in their response!
    I'll post back when/if I get a response. I've stored 20 LCD screens in my room for work before so hoping the manager here is just as understanding

Yeah let us know, im sure it should be ok, no doubt the hotel will be taken over with Cyclists!!

PS You could just say you have a wierd fetish and love sleeping with bikes... :shock:
    Just had my pa (wife) check with them and they have a store that it can stay in and if I don't like the look of it they have no problem with it being in my room. Very impressed with the response to be honest.
    Thanks for finding out for us,appreciated. Were booked in one of the Disabled Rooms (All that was left but could come in handy,lol,so I presume were on the ground floor,so I can ride straight into our room before anyone notices,Ha Ha!!
    Cannondale Carbon Rush 4 08
    GT Aggressor 2.0
    Orbea Enol Team Rep
  • kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    I've got a place riding for Help the Hospices. Anyone else riding for them?
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • My wife got in but I did not. The debate has started about swapping places. Can you do this officially or do you just turn up on the day and keep your head down.
    cheers tony
  • rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389
    I would presume the main thing they have done to prevent the sale or swapping of places is the fact that as successful place winners have found out, you are required to sign on and pick up your timing chip on the Friday or Saturday beforehand. No doubt you will be required to show ID when doing so, and I would imagine from a legal point of view and insurance, you will have to sign a disclaimer.

So I would think that there is a good chance that if your wife signed on, you more than likely might be able to just take her timing chip and number and turn up at the start. However, it makes it a lot more difficult for somebody to sell on their place, because they need to pick up the chip and sell it within a day. As you won't have signed a waiver and are effectively poaching the course, regardless of having a timing chip, I would think that you won't be covered by the events insurance, and likely your own insurance company would find a way to worm out of it, if you had an accident or caused one.
  • Is anyone planning on meeting up at certain points round London to ride to the Olympic Park start?
    I may be staying in the Waterloo area and was wondering how tricky the cycle over would be, bearing in mind that I don't really know London that well? ....................and the fact I haven't got a Garmin to point me in the right direction.
    Ta.
    All my life I've wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more specific.
  • Ok, please let me know if you think that this is a good idea or not.
    Ride London to set up a secure overnight bike storage facility where entrants could keep their bike. This would allow you to register on the Sat and set your bike up for the Sun morning. I'm thinking this may enable people to travel to the start with less hassle before the start on Sun morn.
    Does this sound feasible or are there issues that haven't occurred to me?
    All my life I've wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more specific.
  • I've just emailed Southern Trains as I'd like to get back home on the Sunday afternoon. Hopefully they are aware and prepared for the event, and the amount of bikes.
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    Hey Jack,
    I'll be coming into Fenchurch Street that morning, which you'll have to sort of go past to get to the Olympic Park. Happy to meet up and get you to the start (depending on start times). I'll also be down training on the Rhigos regularly at weekends if you ever fancy meeting up, as my in-laws live near Ystrad Mynach.

Brett
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    Got this from southeastern trains website:

Carriage of cycles

Passengers with cycles are welcome on our services. However we’re only able to accommodate compact folded cycles at our busiest times – that is trains arriving in London, Monday to Friday between 07.00 and 09.59, and leaving London between 16.00 and 18.59. Compact folded bikes can be carried at any time on our services, provided they’re folded before being taken onto the platform and remain folded while onboard the train.

If you are starting your journey from one of the following boundary stations, and travelling away from London, and space is available you can take your cycle with you at any time. These stations are: Gillingham, Otford, and Tonbridge. Similarly, if your journey starts in Kent or East Sussex and ends before these stations, you can take your cycle with you at any time, subject to
    available space.

Cycles must be removed from the onboard space for wheelchairs if a passenger using a wheelchair requires it.

We’re working with Local Authorities and Network Rail to
    increase and improve the cycle storage facilities at our stations.
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • I wouldn't rely on the website. You can guarantee that they'll put a blanket ban on all bikes for that particular weekend; as they do every year for the London to Brighton as well as the previous Freewheel/Sky rides.

How amazing would it be for these events, if SET and others were to schedule a few 'bike special' services - trying to cater to their customers' needs rather than actively obstructing them. Sigh....
  • rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389
    Presumably there is healthy and safety legislation behind it all. As thousands of bikes on a platform and trying to get them onto trains which aren't really designed to take them could easily cause an accident and make a mess in the carriages.

You would also be pretty bummed if you thought you were riding a quiet Sunday train service to go somewhere and thousands of cyclists with bikes try and cram in. While ultimately, they would however stand to make more money from the Cyclists travelling that day, however I don't think thats how train companies work. Yes they could make more profit on a single day, but really its the money tied up from Commuters that is what is most important. So while they might be able to source some carriages to hold bikes, I would think the expense wouldn't be justified by them, so easier just to put a blanket ban.

TFL may be different with tube stations that are allowed to carry bikes, but again, this is limited and as has been highlighted before, the event start times are pretty much before you could take a tube to get there. Also while it may be something the Mayor and Ride London are pushing for, I wonder if hundreds of bikes on the Tube on a Sunday morning has really been run past Tube bosses yet?

A bike store however is a good suggestion and I'm sure is something they could feasibly do. They weren't that well advertised during the Olympics, but they did setup a number of large outdoor bike parking facilities which were manned. If they did that at the Olympic Park, people could drop off bikes during registration ready for the following morning. But again, with limited transport, in most cases, its probably easier to cycle to the start than trying to rely on early morning Sunday services.

This first event will obviously determine how things will run in future, but perhaps maybe they might make a change with the Pro Race and run it first and have people set off a bit later if things go wrong.
  • Rich_E wrote:
    maybe they might make a change with the Pro Race and run it first and have people set off a bit later if things go wrong.
    Very unlikely, I think.

For one, not as many people would get up at the crack of dawn to watch the pro race, than if it starts at 12.30 as it is. So it would be less of a spectacle.

Also, delaying the start of the 100 till, say 10am would mean that they had a lot less time on the sunday afternoon/evening to get everything cleared up in time to open the roads again.

How long with the Classic take? If the 100 has to be finished by 3pm, and the Classic starts at 12.30, there may just be time to get the bike stored somewhere, and get back for the finish, assuming I'm not so knackered that I just have to lie down!

It would be nice to finish the amateur route, and then watch the end of the Classic, but 20k people + bikes are sure as heck not going to fit :)
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    Well, I shall bimble very gently down to the start - it's only a handful of miles for me and almost all downhill. The start has two miles of neutralised riding - not quite sure what that means exactly because I bet people will be giving it beans from the start to try and clear the crowds. Maybe they'll have two dernies with a rope strung between them. ;)

According to the map they've published the first couple of miles will be down the A12 dual carriageway - http://goo.gl/maps/R1M8b - it's 3/4 lanes wide so it'll allow each group to settle into different pace groups quite quickly I think, before the relatively narrower route across the centre of London on the way out.

More local knowledge available ;)
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Gizmo_ wrote:
    Well, I shall bimble very gently down to the start - it's only a handful of miles for me and almost all downhill. The start has two miles of neutralised riding - not quite sure what that means exactly because I bet people will be giving it beans from the start to try and clear the crowds. Maybe they'll have two dernies with a rope strung between them. ;)

According to the map they've published the first couple of miles will be down the A12 dual carriageway - http://goo.gl/maps/R1M8b - it's 3/4 lanes wide so it'll allow each group to settle into different pace groups quite quickly I think, before the relatively narrower route across the centre of London on the way out.

More local knowledge available ;)

Could be carnage when it goes from the wide dual carriageway to the narrower roads :D

If the starting waves / pens are enforced that should keep things a bit more controlled and sensible. At these sort of things though there are always people trying to skip ahead or idiots standing about blocking the way when they should be off to the side out of the way until their time is due.
  • I haven't seen a detailed route map yet, but surely they won't run it on (i.e. close off) part of the A12?!
  • Gizmo_
    I haven't seen a detailed route map yet, but surely they won't run it on (i.e. close off) part of the A12?!
    Well, you're right to be surprised... but look at the map: http://www.prudentialridelondon.co.uk/A ... -+2013.pdf

4579CF26-608B-4E57-B823-BA3F6A44BBF2-145-0000000115F96FF9_zps9f3806ef.jpg

Clearly follows the A12 down to the A13 junction, then left (east) and immediately right (west) again to go past Canary Wharf...

By my reckoning this http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2126060 is the full route.
  • Ed_tron wrote:
    I've just emailed Southern Trains as I'd like to get back home on the Sunday afternoon. Hopefully they are aware and prepared for the event, and the amount of bikes.

Southern trains got back to me.
    The trains we operate on this route have had to be designed around our core business, which is carrying commuters to and from London, and other major centres of employment in the South. The key priority is to provide as many seats as possible, and unlike the older trains which have Guard's vans which could accommodate cycles, that option does not exist on the newer trains.

Additionally, we must ensure that our trains offer accessible toilets, wheelchair spaces and adequate luggage space, all of which places a demand on a finite amount of carriage space. I am afraid that attaching additional carriages for cycles is neither safe nor workable for the operation we have.

As to alternative transport arrangements, lorries and coaches have in the past been organised by the event organisers. I would advise that you contact the event organisers to check that all details are correct for the event.
  • Gizmo_ wrote:
    I've exported this to a KML file, and then opened it in Google Earth.

However, the Tour feature (that flies along the route at a selectable height) doesn't seem to work.

Any idea what I might be doing wrong? I've had other tours work.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ wrote:
    I've exported this to a KML file, and then opened it in Google Earth.

However, the Tour feature (that flies along the route at a selectable height) doesn't seem to work.

Any idea what I might be doing wrong? I've had other tours work.
    No idea, I've never used Google Earth. :)
  • With regards the bikes on train issue how will people be navigating this as we are in to April before trains can be booked so is it first come first served? Do trains have a set number of spaces on each journey? Never travelled with the bike by train though will be doing this for London 100 from Fife or Dundee.
    Don't fancy the flight route nor do I want to drive the whole way, could opt to stay wih family in Oxford but would then have the same issue for the last leg of the tip.
    Any advice?
  • I'm in. And so is my mate. Not sure what time slot we have decided on yet. How much did you guys pay? We are just riding for free! :D
  • Gizmo_
    With regards the bikes on train issue how will people be navigating this as we are in to April before trains can be booked so is it first come first served? Do trains have a set number of spaces on each journey? Never travelled with the bike by train though will be doing this for London 100 from Fife or Dundee.
    Don't fancy the flight route nor do I want to drive the whole way, could opt to stay wih family in Oxford but would then have the same issue for the last leg of the tip.
    Any advice?
    Google is your friend. http://www.scotrail.co.uk/travelinfo/faqs.html
  • Gizmo_ wrote:
    With regards the bikes on train issue how will people be navigating this as we are in to April before trains can be booked so is it first come first served? Do trains have a set number of spaces on each journey? Never travelled with the bike by train though will be doing this for London 100 from Fife or Dundee.
    Any advice?
    Google is your friend. http://www.scotrail.co.uk/travelinfo/faqs.html

Like me you’ll be going by East Coast, not Scotrial who only have those sections near the sliding doors where you can fix a bike to a pole thingy. East Coast trains have a guards van where you can put bikes. You will need to book though. From what I gather EC tickets for August trains will go on sale the first week of May.
  • Thank you for the info much appreciated, I had done some research on the net but was simply unsure what the likely provision would be for bike numbers.

Getting quite excited about this years riding, sun was shining in Dundee today, Just sorted out my Etape Caledonia digs and collected my new summer bike today 6 months after he last one was hit by a tractor.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    Thank you for the info much appreciated, I had done some research on the net but was simply unsure what the likely provision would be for bike numbers.

Getting quite excited about this years riding, sun was shining in Dundee today, Just sorted out my Etape Caledonia digs and collected my new summer bike today 6 months after he last one was hit by a tractor.

It's been a stunning 7 days in Dundee! Sadly most of this week's riding has been done after work when the sun's going to bed. Never mind, at least there's none of that killer wind :-)

What did you buy and where from?
  • Der Kaiser
    Der Kaiser Posts: 172
    I am disappointed that I didn't get in but I am really annoyed when a woman who lives across the street from me collars me to ask for advice on Training for this event. She got in through the ballot despite having never done an event of this type before. Up until getting in she didn't even own a bike. She had run the London Marathon last year and my thoughts are that because she had been in that then this helped her get into this.

I am sure she will be able to complete it because she is in good shape and has started training in earnest. I am not disappointed for me not getting in because I have only been doing sportives for about 2 years but I have fellow club members who failed to get in despite him having taken part in about 30-40 over the last few years.

My concern is that there will be quite a few pulling out before the event and more failing to complete the event.
  • bikergirl17
    bikergirl17 Posts: 344
    i think it is more likely your neighbor got in because she is female. in general, women are quite under-represented in cycling events. that said, am surprised they allowed someone who had never cycled, especially in a mass event where good bike handling skills are critical.
  • Der Kaiser wrote:
    I am disappointed that I didn't get in but I am really annoyed when a woman who lives across the street from me collars me to ask for advice on Training for this event. She got in through the ballot despite having never done an event of this type before. Up until getting in she didn't even own a bike. She had run the London Marathon last year and my thoughts are that because she had been in that then this helped her get into this.

I am sure she will be able to complete it because she is in good shape and has started training in earnest. I am not disappointed for me not getting in because I have only been doing sportives for about 2 years but I have fellow club members who failed to get in despite him having taken part in about 30-40 over the last few years.

My concern is that there will be quite a few pulling out before the event and more failing to complete the event.

Why don't you just take up one of the numerous charity places available?

I don't really understand your point. It's a ballot - luck of the draw. Yet you seem to feel you have more of a right to a place than this woman you speak of. Why is that?