Ride London 100, am I in?

Just logged on to the below website and it doesnt say cancelled and lets me pay, does that mean im in?

http://regonline.activeeurope.com/Regis ... ID=1124438

Comments

• I guess it does, I paid in advance (i.e. agreed to donate fee to Charity if unsuccessful) my registration now says
    "Status: Confirmed" I hope this means I'm in!
  • yeah, well done guys, im sure that means you are in.
    My status says cancelled, so that means i'm out :(

enjoy the ride!
  • Stedman
    Stedman Posts: 377
    My status is also cancelled, however I have already been given a charity place so I am in via that route.
  • Yep, well done guys. Mine was cancelled too. :(

However, I managed to get through on the phone to Cancer Research UK, and they still had some places left.

So I'm in - just got to get out on the scrounge now - they ask for a minimum of £650 in fundraising :D:D:D
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Well I hope im in, ive just payed the £48 fee and booked a hotel near the start line!!
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    It says cancelled for me too. I'm not sure I can raise the kind of money the charities require, for a bike ride of similar length and difficulty to what I usually ride for fun!
  • kim10
    kim10 Posts: 186
    I didn't get in either, well done to those who did. Won't be going down the charity route as I cannot see myself raising that sort of money for this kind of ride.
  • Kim10 wrote:
    I didn't get in either, well done to those who did. Won't be going down the charity route as I cannot see myself raising that sort of money for this kind of ride.
    Any chance of a fiver? :D:D
  • Will this route be hard do you think? will a lot of fun riders be doing it or have you got to be pretty fit?
  • Stedman
    Stedman Posts: 377
    Will this route be hard do you think? will a lot of fun riders be doing it or have you got to be pretty fit?
    Will this route be hard do you think? No

Will a lot of fun riders be doing it? Yes

Have you got to be pretty fit? As there is a 9 hour limit with an average speed of 11 mph, if regular cyclist on a road bike, then the answer is no.

However my challenge is completing this in under 5 hours!
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    I'm going to aim for 6 hours, but I'm pretty confident of achieving that aim.

I'm in :)
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • Beatmaker wrote:
    It says cancelled for me too. I'm not sure I can raise the kind of money the charities require, for a bike ride of similar length and difficulty to what I usually ride for fun!

What was the point of having that questionnaire if experienced riders don't get in and total newbs do???
  • What was the point of having that questionnaire if experienced riders don't get in and total newbs do???
    I'm a n00b and I didn't.
  • What was the point of having that questionnaire if experienced riders don't get in and total newbs do???
    I'm a n00b and I didn't.

Ah yes...just spotted your post above. :oops:
  • Looks like i'm in, not that challenging a route....the numbers involved will either make for chaos or a huge peleton in a very busy part of the UK!
    My Marmotte 2012 Blog:
    http://steve-lamarmotte2012.blogspot.com/
    cervelo R5 VWD
    Spesh Roubaix
    Genesis Equilibrium
    Spesh FSR Stumpy Expert
    Spesh M4 Stumpy
    Brompton SL2
    Giant TCX
    Canyon Grandcanyon 29er
  • rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389
    The website now says the following on how the draw was actually made:

"The ballot was drawn randomly utilising the answers provided by registrants on their entry forms. It was weighted for Health and Safety purposes to help the maximum number of people get safely around the route within the nine-hour time limit."

From what I remember, the questions included:

- Whether you are a member of a Cycling Club.
    - How many Sportives you have completed.
    - If you are a member of British Cycling.
    - What time you think you could complete it in.

I'm guessing that if you can tick a lot of those boxes, and you put a time under 9 hours, then you have more of a chance than those who didn't. I suppose it makes sense that they have been selective, as for such a huge event, the number of accidents would go up significantly if its typical of some other events where people are giving it a go for fun, despite not really having much experience on a bike. If you have more experienced Cyclists on the course, people should know what they are doing more.

I couldn't tick all the boxes, so I'm now a bit doubtful, going to wait till tomorrow though.
  • Rich_E wrote:
    ...so I'm now a bit doubtful, going to wait till tomorrow though.
    You can log in, using the email address and password you specified, and find out immediately. That's how I found out.
  • rich_e
    Yeah I realise that.

I just thought I'd prefer to find out when the magazine likely arrives tomorrow.
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    I got in!! Yippee. Logistically it looks a bit of a challenge getting to start and back home but hell it will be fun.
  • mine's cancelled :cry:

Good luck to those who got in!! If u can't make it ping me..will happily take the place :)
  • As mentioned logistics of getting to the start will be the biggest challenge
  • stepdavi
    stepdavi Posts: 135
    Rejected! Was going to travel the 250 miles to do it too.
    2016 diamondback heist 2.0
    2015 giant propel advanced 1
    2015 Genesis day one disc ss
    2014 giant roam 2
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    El Vino wrote:
    I guess it does, I paid in advance (i.e. agreed to donate fee to Charity if unsuccessful) my registration now says
    "Status: Confirmed" I hope this means I'm in!

I'm the same with paying in advance, got status confirmed too so hope that is good news!
  • Can anyone recommend a bike & family friendly place to stay near the start? I'm not familiar with London so anyone who's got advice.....that would be great.
    How do you think people will get to the start - special transport laid on for entrants on the day perhaps?
    cheers!
    All my life I've wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more specific.
  • Mine's showing as 'Cancelled' too so I'm not in :(
  • It's hard not to feel a bit upset about this...but I don't begrudge anyone that got a place, just the selection process in the ballot...

They had that questionnaire which seemed to be aimed at selecting experienced regular sportive/club cyclists. I'm a member of a club and British cycling, I cycled 21 sportives last year alone (along with many more in the past), posting some pretty quick times and aimed at completing this in under 6 hours but didn't get a spot. Reading the other thread for those who got in, it seems people have been chosen who haven't even ridden a sportive before, therefore have no reference to how quick a time they can post (of course presumming the organisers were selecting 'quick' riders to clear the route before the pros) and also people who have entered without any real thought of how they will actually get to the event itself!! :x

It's just upsetting really, I wanted to be a part of this. I can't really go for a charity spot as in the past few years I've raised a few £k for charities doing various cycling tours and last year raised a couple of £k cycling the 21 sportives from May to October (c2,000 miles, alomost a sportive a week) so to ask for £600 or so for a 100 mile ride isn't viable.

I know it's sour grapes, that there are probably even more suitable entrants than me out there who didn't get in and I probably wouldn't give two hoots about the selection process if I did get a spot, but I just needed to vent!! After last year's charity exploits I just really wanted a spot on this prestigious sportive to enjoy, ah well...
    2011 Trek Madone 3.1c
    2012 Ribble 7005 Winter Trainer

Dolor transit, gloria aeterna est.
  • They had that questionnaire which seemed to be aimed at selecting experienced regular sportive/club cyclists. I'm a member of a club and British cycling, I cycled 21 sportives last year alone (along with many more in the past).... It's just upsetting really, I wanted to be a part of this.
    Just out of curiosity, do you feel that people ought to serve a sort of sportive apprenticeship before being able to get into the bigger events?

I must admit, as I filled in the questionnaire, I couldn't tick any of the previous boxes, I hadn't joined British Cycling at the time (have now), and I'd probably aim at 8 hours to be conservative, so I didn't feel like I had much chance. And didn't get a place, so I was disappointed but not surprised, and didn't feel hard done by. After all, the majority of people will fail to get a ballot place.
    and also people who have entered without any real thought of how they will actually get to the event itself!!
    Yes, well, I'm guilty of this - but I figure I have 6 months to figure it out, so I don't think that's unreasonable :)
  • simona75
    simona75 Posts: 336
    I read somewhere that the number of entrants to the ballot went up after Christmas due to the "New Years resolution to get fit" mob. I wonder how many of these people who entered on a whim won't take up their place and if these will be resold somewhere? (PS I didn't get in either!)
  • rich_e
    I wouldn't think there would be reselling or the allowance to switch places with somebody else who can't get there or no longer wishes to take part. One reason being, for such a big event, it would probably be a bit of a nightmare to deal with a lot of swapping going on. Secondly, this is something they likely naturally accounted for, as that way the number on the roads actually drops a little.
  • rich_e
    Well my magazine arrived and I didn't get a place.

More than anything I'm annoyed because it was my goal for the year ever since I applied, so I am now searching for something else.

I can see where you are coming from though KentPuncheur, I've noticed a few tweets from people who managed to get a place that don't even own bikes! Its also bound to be quite chaotic compared to a marathon, as people coming from further afield will need to stay and travel with a bike and then get to the start. So I'm sure there are going to be many who entered on a whim or didn't really even think about how they were going to get to London.