Ride London 100, am I in?

Comments

• Rich_E wrote:
    Well my magazine arrived and I didn't get a place.

More than anything I'm annoyed because it was my goal for the year ever since I applied, so I am now searching for something else.

I can see where you are coming from though KentPuncheur, I've noticed a few tweets from people who managed to get a place that don't even own bikes! Its also bound to be quite chaotic compared to a marathon, as people coming from further afield will need to stay and travel with a bike and then get to the start. So I'm sure there are going to be many who entered on a whim or didn't really even think about how they were going to get to London.

Trains, planes and buses go to London quite regularly from other parts of the country. It has quite an extensive road network too I hear. They also have lots and lots of hotels.

But seriously, there will be lots of people like myself who have used both charity and ballot routes for entry (you’re allowed to do that) and will be giving up their charity place, so there will be more opportunities to get in.
  • rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389
    Rich_E wrote:
    Trains, planes and buses go to London quite regularly from other parts of the country. It has quite an extensive road network too I hear. They also have lots and lots of hotels.

True, London has great public transport, but we are talking about an event that starts from 6am on a Sunday morning. With Sunday services, people coming from further afield likely won't even be able to get transport that even starts until the last wave has set off. Then there is the fact that anything other than folding bikes isn't allowed on the Tube or Buses.

While London does have an extensive road network, that day will be interrupted by closed roads and then some 20,000 cyclists descending on Central and East London. Even on a Sunday, with relaxed parking regulations nearby it is going to be difficult with the numbers. They never announced any provision for Parking near the Olympic Park, so I think its unlikely that they will do so.

So yes, a hotel is likely the best option.
    It doesn't change the fact though that I'm sure there are plenty who will have entered who then think its a lot of hassle if they don't live nearby.
  • Just looking at our club forum and ...the ladies all got in and the majority of men didn't....

Didnt think of doctoring that part of the form.
  • 20,000 is less than your average large stadium band playing in the capital, so this isn't really going to be a major impact on London's infrastructure. Roads on the route yes, but transport in and hotels probably not. If thousands of pi$$ed up women can get themselves from the north of the country to see Take That, 20,000 cyclists will be fine ;-)
  • rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389
    Again, fine if you are staying in a hotel. But likening it to a concert doesn't work because transport is severely limited on Sunday mornings.

As an example, where I used to live outside of London, the first train in on a Sunday morning won't get to Euston until 7:44am. Same goes for the Overground service too. So for people coming from outside the commuter belt, they will likely have no option but to stay somewhere before.

While there maybe be 20,000 cyclists or less, remember that this has been billed as a Cycling Festival Weekend. There will also be people there to cheer on family and friends, along with spectators for the Pro Race.

All I'm trying to point out is that public transport on a Sunday morning is limited and what makes it greatly differ from getting people to the London Marathon is that the Marathon starts later and doesn't have the issue of having bikes on transport. As such, I'm sure there are many who have entered from further afield outside London who will have got a place and change their mind. If you are coming from such a place and do stay, then good on you.
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    Yep, checked the linka nd my wife has just What's App'd me saying my pack arrived int he post this morning. Happy Days :)
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • Managed to book room at the premier inn, Stratford, which according to the map is a mile or so from the startline.

I thought its best to book early before everywhere local to the startline sells out!
  • Mikey1976 wrote:
    Managed to book room at the premier inn, Stratford, which according to the map is a mile or so from the startline.

I thought its best to book early before everywhere local to the startline sells out!
    same here! if i thought about it too long there wouldnt be anywhere left and it wouldve been a 3am commute in for the start. Shame no one else i entered with got a spot though :(
  • I didn't get in either.... but with all these comments and questions being asked about getting to start / parking / accommodation etc.... maybe it will be a blessing in disguise so that any on the day teething problems will be sorted out in time for when hopefully, those of us that didn't get in this year.... will hopefully get in next year.
  • Mikey1976 wrote:
    Managed to book room at the premier inn, Stratford, which according to the map is a mile or so from the startline.

same here! if i thought about it too long there wouldnt be anywhere left and it wouldve been a 3am commute in for the start. Shame no one else i entered with got a spot though :(

I did wonder if none of my mates got in would I still go, luckly 2 of us got in out of six of us that applied.

And yes I probably would of still done it on my own :D
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    How were the lucky ones selected? What criteria was used? Or were they drawn out of a hat? What use is the poxy jersey if you can't ride the event? I ticked all the boxes, perhaps that was a mistake? Maybe its for Pashley riders with picnic baskets.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • If you're in, hope you enjoy a great day.
    Me - sadly not. Still, Kentish Killer next week, happy days.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    If you're in, hope you enjoy a great day.
    Me - sadly not. Still, Kentish Killer next week, happy days.
    You lot are so nice. I hope it buckets down!
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    Just got home and opened the pack. For those of you not near London this is important! It says you have to pick up your rider pack and timing chip on either the Friday or Saturday. Saturday last pickup is 6pm
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • Stedman
    Stedman Posts: 377
    brettjmcc wrote:
    Just got home and opened the pack. For those of you not near London this is important! It says you have to pick up your rider pack and timing chip on either the Friday or Saturday. Saturday last pickup is 6pm

Where is the pick up point? Is it the Olympic Park or the Mall?
  • Delighted to get in, will probably looking at a 4am start or a bivvy in the Olympic park.
  • Stedman wrote:
    brettjmcc wrote:

Where is the pick up point? Is it the Olympic Park or the Mall?
    It's in the Olympic park
  • Did not get in, but not happy with the amount of places given to charity. When I recieved the info to say i was not successful, I was amazed at the number of charities advertising places. The only problem is you have to raise approx £500, sorry will not ask people for money in these financial times.

I accept it is a good way to raise money, but this ride is a olympic legacy and all places open to individuals, and not 100s places given to charities.
  • inkz
    inkz Posts: 123
    Didn't get in :(

Not had my letter but site says cancelled. Debating going for a charity place now, but £500 seems a massive amount of money :S
  • simona75
    simona75 Posts: 336
    When I originally entered (and paid up front) it said there would be a secondary ballot for those who paid up front (1000 places if I recall) does anyone know if this has happened?
  • simona75 wrote:
    When I originally entered (and paid up front) it said there would be a secondary ballot for those who paid up front (1000 places if I recall) does anyone know if this has happened?
    Yes, it must have done - several of those that took this option have already heard that they haven't got a place.

It was 'paying up front' in the sense that if you failed in the second ballot as well as the first, your fee became a donation to charity.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • alas58 wrote:
    sorry will not ask people for money in these financial times.
    Why on earth not? They can always say no!

Don't you think the charities need the money in these financial times as well?

I mean, sure, if you know specific people that are really strapped for cash, you might decide that it would be inappropriate to tap them up.
    alas58 wrote:
    I accept it is a good way to raise money, but this ride is a olympic legacy and all places open to individuals, and not 100s places given to charities.
    I suspect 'Olympic Legacy' is supposed to mean more than 'People that can afford a fifty quid entry fee getting the benefit of a massive closed-road event for their own personal fun and enjoyment'.
  • Jboy
    Jboy Posts: 34
    Mikey1976 wrote:

Ive also booked in the Premier Inn Stratford,but only just as now sold out. As the car park is across the road,do you reckon the hotel will allow us to store bikes in our room or elsewhere in hotel? Dont fancy leaving it in car overnight.
    Cannondale Carbon Rush 4 08
    GT Aggressor 2.0
    Orbea Enol Team Rep
  • Jboy wrote:
    Mikey1976 wrote:

Ive also booked in the Premier Inn Stratford,but only just as now sold out. As the car park is across the road,do you reckon the hotel will allow us to store bikes in our room or elsewhere in hotel? Dont fancy leaving it in car overnight.
    I'm pretty certain they'll have a few cyclists in for the weekend so I'm sure they'd be ok with it, but I'm going to send a quick email to see if there would be a problem. I hope not as I'm not leaving my bike in the car overnight!
    Could just strip it down and smuggle it in I suppose haha
  • but I'm going to send a quick email to see if there would be a problem. I hope not as I'm not leaving my bike in the car overnight!
    I'm going to take the 'ask for forgiveness, not permission' approach, but I'd still be interested in their response!
  • but I'm going to send a quick email to see if there would be a problem. I hope not as I'm not leaving my bike in the car overnight!
    I'm going to take the 'ask for forgiveness, not permission' approach, but I'd still be interested in their response!
    I'll post back when/if I get a response. I've stored 20 LCD screens in my room for work before so hoping the manager here is just as understanding
    I'll post back when/if I get a response. I've stored 20 LCD screens in my room for work before so hoping the manager here is just as understanding

Yeah let us know, im sure it should be ok, no doubt the hotel will be taken over with Cyclists!!

PS You could just say you have a wierd fetish and love sleeping with bikes... :shock:
  • Mikey1976 wrote:
    but I'm going to send a quick email to see if there would be a problem. I hope not as I'm not leaving my bike in the car overnight!

Yeah let us know, im sure it should be ok, no doubt the hotel will be taken over with Cyclists!!

PS You could just say you have a wierd fetish and love sleeping with bikes... :shock:
    Just had my pa (wife) check with them and they have a store that it can stay in and if I don't like the look of it they have no problem with it being in my room. Very impressed with the response to be honest.
  • I managed to get a charity place with British Heart Foundation. Just booked a room at Travelodge next to the Olympic park and found that they are also happy to allow bikes to be stored in the hotel room. They also had a few rooms left when I checked (Premier Inn and Holiday Inn are booked up already - Hope this isn't a reflection on the quality of the hotel).
    All I need to do now is work out how to get from the finish line back to the hotel... Oh, and how to complete the ride in a respectable time!
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Didn't get in. MDCC Club Jersey not as prestigious as IG Markets CC, Barclays CC or any other club :p
    Won't be doing the charity ride either.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.