Mac vs PC

mr_eddy
mr_eddy Posts: 830
edited February 2013 in The cake stop
Ok so in a effort to ignite debate I thought I would put up a couple of posts on the problems of both Mac and PC. As I IT Engineer I believe I have more than enough experience with both platforms to offer my thoughts.

Firstly its the turn of Mac's , so what are the problems (in my opinion).#

1. Massively Overpriced.
Ok for several years now Mac's have been incorporating Intel and other traditionally PC based components into their computers, they are made in China just like every just about every other computer (don't let the designed in California sticker fool you).

So why do they cost twice, thrice or even four times the price of a similar spec Windows based computer? Assume you have £1000 for a laptop this will get you a Acer V3 with 17" screen, Intel Core i7 processor, 16GB of RAM, 1000GB HDD and stand alone graphics, Blu Ray and Win 8.

For the same cash you get the cheapest mac book pro (£999) with 13" screen, Intel core i5 processor, 4GB Ram, 500GB HDD and Intel shared graphics. If you want the retina display then better start that re-mortgage application

2. Upgrade Options.
Ok so assume you have bought a Mac desktop computer and a Windows desktop computer. Lets assume the same £1000 budget and both computers are fine. Now lets assume its 18 months down the line and you want to play the latest and greatest "COD:When Korea goes bad" game that requires some immense graphics card.

(Let's just look past the fact that most games are not even available on Mac)

In the Windows computer you pop over to Amazon or Ebuyer etc and for £60 you buy a decent PCI-E graphics card, slot it into place, install the drivers job done. You are all set for another 18 months.

With the Mac your stuffed, that's right the only upgrade on your Mac (that is to say the only upgrade that does not require soldering equipment and a note of approval from Mac HQ) is the RAM. Solution = Buy new Mac! EPIC FAIL!!!

3. No right click! Aaargh!
You have Office or Photoshop or any software on Windows and you want to pick a task, lets say compress and send a file to email, you just use the right click feature of your two click mouse. Job Done!

On you silly 1 click mouse on the Mac you have type War and Peace into the keyboard in the way of shortcuts before being able to do the same thing.

4. Mac's are for idiots!
In my profession I see a lot of different people, I admit this next point is stereo typing but I am of the unshakeable conviction that people who have Mac's are of questionable mental ability. Without exception every person who has brought me a Mac to fix/repair etc is someone who I would not trust to sit the right way on the toilet.

If you are the sort of person who used to have a Windows computer but it kept getting viruses and it subsequently turns out that you are also the sort of person who clicks yes to a 'Would you like a £1'000'000' pop up on the Internet then maybe your first priority is not to switch computers but maybe wonder if you are actually ready to have a computer in the first place.

This leads me onto my final point

5. Mac's DO get viruses !
Just because most viruses are found on Windows computers does not mean that Mac's can't get a virus. It's simple really if the majority of computer users around the world use Windows then the architects of viruses are going to make the viruses for Windows based computers. The myth that Mac's are immune to viruses is rubbish! As Mac's get more and more popular there will be more and more viruses. Simple

I also re-iterate my point above, if you are constantly getting viruses then maybe you need to stop going on dodgy 'Men's special interest websites' and stop replying to the 'grow 10 inches' emails !

I have owned the same Windows laptop for 2 years and I have never had a virus.

Ok that is the Mac rant over, I am generating my list for why Windows computers suck now too, so this will be a 2 way argument all in the name of fair play.

Thoughts ?

Comments

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    mr_eddy wrote:

:D

engineer.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    I said the same things (some time ago) and had some mac man try and shout me down..... nice open debate :roll:

quite frankly Mac want to be like Polaroid was 30 years ago, which means they will put all their eggs in 1 sleek basket and then become obsolete...... in a slow and painful way

are you an architect or media / artist sort.... no ? well don't buy a mac

and I'm sure that is why itunes is so sh1t on a PC, to try and nudge you into buying a mac, as every other media player is drag and drop....... whats all that about

and get me started on mouse controls

and on the PC side windows takes too much of a cut, a £300 laptop, just slightly less than 50% goes to windows for the OS license, its like printing money

and the other side where the f@@k is linux,, it should be kicking both their backsides, open source, free, unlocked and compatible with all computers.....
  • mr_eddy
    Good to get some responses. Linux is excellent and Red Hat is quite slick the issue is just not enough software is designed for it especially corporate stuff like a email client that supports full exchange etc but its getting their and with the advent of the excellent Raspberry Pi redhat is starting to become a good choice for people who want a super cheap media center computer.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    estampida wrote:
    and on the PC side windows takes too much of a cut, a £300 laptop, just slightly less than 50% goes to windows for the OS license, its like printing money
    Looks like Mr Dell should be heading down to PC World to pick up a few discs for a heck of a lot less then?
    Or maybe your figure is a bit fanciful...
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    mr_eddy wrote:
    Ok so in a effort to ignite debate I thought I would put up a couple of posts on the problems of both Mac and PC. As I IT Engineer I believe I have more than enough experience with both platforms to offer my thoughts.

1. Massively Overpriced.
    Ok for several years now Mac's have been incorporating Intel and other traditionally PC based components into their computers, they are made in China just like every just about every other computer (don't let the designed in California sticker fool you).

So why do they cost twice, thrice or even four times the price of a similar spec Windows based computer? Assume you have £1000 for a laptop this will get you a Acer V3 with 17" screen, Intel Core i7 processor, 16GB of RAM, 1000GB HDD and stand alone graphics, Blu Ray and Win 8.

For the same cash you get the cheapest mac book pro (£999) with 13" screen, Intel core i5 processor, 4GB Ram, 500GB HDD and Intel shared graphics. If you want the retina display then better start that re-mortgage application

2. Upgrade Options.
    Ok so assume you have bought a Mac desktop computer and a Windows desktop computer. Lets assume the same £1000 budget and both computers are fine. Now lets assume its 18 months down the line and you want to play the latest and greatest "COD:When Korea goes bad" game that requires some immense graphics card.

In the Windows computer you pop over to Amazon or Ebuyer etc and for £60 you buy a decent PCI-E graphics card, slot it into place, install the drivers job done. You are all set for another 18 months.

With the Mac your stuffed, that's right the only upgrade on your Mac (that is to say the only upgrade that does not require soldering equipment and a note of approval from Mac HQ) is the RAM. Solution = Buy new Mac! EPIC FAIL!!!

You have Office or Photoshop or any software on Windows and you want to pick a task, lets say compress and send a file to email, you just use the right click feature of your two click mouse. Job Done!

On you silly 1 click mouse on the Mac you have type War and Peace into the keyboard in the way of shortcuts before being able to do the same thing.

4. Mac's are for idiots!
    In my profession I see a lot of different people, I admit this next point is stereo typing but I am of the unshakeable conviction that people who have Mac's are of questionable mental ability. Without exception every person who has brought me a Mac to fix/repair etc is someone who I would not trust to sit the right way on the toilet.

If you are the sort of person who used to have a Windows computer but it kept getting viruses and it subsequently turns out that you are also the sort of person who clicks yes to a 'Would you like a £1'000'000' pop up on the Internet then maybe your first priority is not to switch computers but maybe wonder if you are actually ready to have a computer in the first place.

Just because most viruses are found on Windows computers does not mean that Mac's can't get a virus. It's simple really if the majority of computer users around the world use Windows then the architects of viruses are going to make the viruses for Windows based computers. The myth that Mac's are immune to viruses is rubbish! As Mac's get more and more popular there will be more and more viruses. Simple

I also re-iterate my point above, if you are constantly getting viruses then maybe you need to stop going on dodgy 'Men's special interest websites' and stop replying to the 'grow 10 inches' emails !

Ok that is the Mac rant over, I am generating my list for why Windows computers suck now too, so this will be a 2 way argument all in the name of fair play.

Thoughts ?
    You are talking out of your bottom, young man. You have obviously never owned a Mac. Been using a Mac for 20 years. No regrets, no hassle (unlike any Windoze rubbish on the market) and NO viruses. Your argument is nothing new. Always get this rubbish from PC users. Old discussion ....
  • Just bought a Dell XPS 15 with 1TB HD, 32Gb SSD, full HD and a monster i7 processors all stuck inside a very sexy aluminium box – only downside was (I thought) Windows 8 but it’s turned out to be quite fun OS. Same laptop power and hard drive on a Mac Book Pro would have cost a grand more.

I bought my laptop to crunch video and make music. It’s going to do a grand job.

For what it’s worth I’ve used Apple products from the early 80’s (my old man’s Apple II), through to the very first fish tank Macintosh when I was at art college and into the G3's – then I got bored and went PC. Never looked back.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Nice trolling! :lol:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • robpow
    robpow Posts: 10
    Horses for courses

As a Mac user and former Windows-advocate I'd tend to agree on most of the sentiments. Macs tend to be bought by people who don't want to know how or why the computer works, they just want minimal fuss and not worry about driver updates or frequent popups about upgrades, hot fixes and reboots.

I also used to upgrade graphics cards and add extra USB ports and what-not when we had PCs. Then I decided that I wanted to focus my time on other things as that was too similar to my day-job, so I scrapped our Windows PC and laptop and replaced with a Macbook and an iMac and have never looked back since. I don't see a conflict between being a Windows engineer and a Mac user.

At home, knowing that the next Mac OS upgrade will just work without worrying if the graphics card or DVD burner will need new drivers is worth more to me now. And if there are any issues I can get my old install back in a couple of hours from the Time Machine. I never did find anything as simple to use on Windows.

I suppose there's a reason Macs only have a 10%-something market share, they are more expensive and sit in a more controlled ecosystem. Some people are fine with that or even find it an advantage, other don't.

Cheers,
    Matt
  • robpow wrote:
    Horses for courses

As a Mac user and former Windows-advocate I'd tend to agree on most of the sentiments. Macs tend to be bought by people who don't want to know how or why the computer works, they just want minimal fuss and not worry about driver updates or frequent popups about upgrades, hot fixes and reboots.

I also used to upgrade graphics cards and add extra USB ports and what-not when we had PCs. Then I decided that I wanted to focus my time on other things as that was too similar to my day-job, so I scrapped our Windows PC and laptop and replaced with a Macbook and an iMac and have never looked back since. I don't see a conflict between being a Windows engineer and a Mac user.

At home, knowing that the next Mac OS upgrade will just work without worrying if the graphics card or DVD burner will need new drivers is worth more to me now. And if there are any issues I can get my old install back in a couple of hours from the Time Machine. I never did find anything as simple to use on Windows.

I suppose there's a reason Macs only have a 10%-something market share, they are more expensive and sit in a more controlled ecosystem. Some people are fine with that or even find it an advantage, other don't.

Cheers,
    Matt

That's just so not true. The amount of screaming that goes on after every new OS upgrade is hillarious.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    mr_eddy wrote:

Thoughts ?

My thoughts are that you are being subjective, sterotyping and so biased (you haven't wrote anything regarding the good points to Mac's).

The fact that I'm writing this on a Mac now proves there is nothing wrong with them. It's done what I have asked of it.

You can right click on a Macbook by pressing down on the pad with two fingers! Or copy is simply... cmd and C. Paste is cmd and V. Print cmd and P. Save is cmd and S. Exit the program is cmd and Q.

I don't play games on my Mac. So the upgrade thing and availability of games is irrelevant.

I do not need extra RAM.

What qualifies you to write that other people who you do not know can not trust to sit the right way on the toilet? You write that "you see a lot of other people?" What, every single Mac user? Or just a small percentage of those who have had an IT problem?

I have owned a Mac 2 years and I have never had a virus or any other problem.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • robpow
    robpow Posts: 10
    robpow wrote:

That's just so not true. The amount of screaming that goes on after every new OS upgrade is hillarious.

Perhaps, perhaps not. For starters, a larger percentage of people actually do upgrade their Macs to the latest OS. Uptake of Windows 7 after two month was 6%, for Windows 8 it was 2%. Same for Mountain Lion? Over 22%. So you would expect some noise.

The point I was making however was that there is less 3rd party code in the Mac OS (for obvious reasons) so fewer moving parts leads to fewer failures means more free time for me!

Cheers,
    Matt
  • Theyve both got advantages and disadvantages - macs big problem is its virtual stranglehold on 3rd party software development - if you had a early mac/macbook and wanted to target apps for io6 you have no choice but to......buy a new mac - admittedky everything works in sync, which is its big plus, whereas with a pc theres a lot of liberty with 3rd party accessories but it can be a bugger getting them to talk to each other. Personally, I'm still struggling with an abacus. :lol:

You takes your choice I guess.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Theyve both got advantages and disadvantages - macs big problem is its virtual stranglehold on 3rd party software development

Not sure what you mean there ?

If you want some software to do X, then you can get it for Mac, Windows or Linux. There is so much variety out there.

If you want to develop software for platform X, then you'll need a machine with X on it to run and test.

But you're spot on with the Pros and Cons - Pro's use Macs and Cons use Windows ;)
  • Theyve both got advantages and disadvantages - macs big problem is its virtual stranglehold on 3rd party software development

Not sure what you mean there ?

If you want some software to do X, then you can get it for Mac, Windows or Linux. There is so much variety out there.

If you want to develop software for platform X, then you'll need a machine with X on it to run and test.

But you're spot on with the Pros and Cons - Pro's use Macs and Cons use Windows ;)

Quite a few 'vendors' dropped support for their software overnight when apple announced they were no longer supporting, for example snow leopard - at least with microsoft theres quite a bit of backward compatability - it was such a faff trying find the right wersion of xcode.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    mr_eddy wrote:

1. Massively Overpriced.

2. Upgrade Options.

4. Mac's are for idiots!

Thoughts ?

I've been using Macs since 1987 so sorry I don't have any coherent thoughts.
  • mr_eddy wrote:
    Ok so in a effort to ignite debate
    That's one word for it :)
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Quite a few 'vendors' dropped support for their software overnight when apple announced they were no longer supporting, for example snow leopard - at least with microsoft theres quite a bit of backward compatability - it was such a faff trying find the right wersion of xcode.

The 'dropping of support' was at the one time that OSX transitioned from PowerPC to Intel chipsets. The same kind of transition that Windows went through from 3.1 to 95/98/ME and dropped again from 95/98/ME to XP/NT and then again from XP/NT to Vista and then again on to W7/W8.

Of course companies drop old software packages when the hardware gets out of date - at least Apple have only done it once since OSX came out. Microsoft do it every other update ;)
  • I had a couple of hours to kill in Edinburgh airport the other week, so I was idly looking at the electronic gadgets (only cos there was no bike shop, obviously).

So I was admiring the unarguable beauty of the Apple kit they had on display - there was the iMac which is undoubtedly aesthetically a thing of great beauty... and the MacBook Air whose thinness was indisputable.

There was another MacBook with a retina display, so obviously I spent a few moments being impressed with the fact that even at my eyes' minimum focusing distance, I could detect no pixels at all.

Then I noticed. None of the MacBooks had a proper number pad at the right hand end of their keyboard. WTF????? So I googled a bit when I got home and sure enough, unless I'm missing a trick, there is no Mac laptop that has a proper separate number pad.

I was a bit surprised, I have to say. I'm sure lots of people don't mind, but I bet there are plenty that do. Complete dealbreaker for me - I work a lot with numbers, it would drive me crazy to have to use the row across the top all the time.
  • vala
    vala Posts: 197
    mr_eddy wrote:

On my Magic Mouse for my Mac I have the right click feature. You just set it in the preferences.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    I use a Mac at home at a PC at college. Despite having the same software... Microsoft Word and Autocad, it's annoying that the interfaces are completely different. Why can't Word on a Mac be the same as Word on a PC? At least the files are interchangeable.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    I started out on the Winbeta mIRC in the 90's which is where the majority of hacking came from and so worked only with PC. I have been programming code and breaking code since my early teens and always thought that PC's were great but in 2008 we started to see the implementation of 4mb security encryption (average online bank running 128bit) which in turn meant that with a top range PC we would need around 40 minutes to crack the code and then the PC would cack itself within 3-6 months and need replacing as 100% load on the average PC doesnt last too long !

So, I purchased a simple Mac, at £2200 for the i7 with 8gb ram we set about coding to allow windows to be installed and ran the codec breaker and immediately the crack times went down to around 30-75 seconds !!!!!
    4 years later the Mac is still working as good as the day it was purchased and we have now replaced almost all of the 250+ PC's with Mac and its been the best investment ever.
    We use a piece of kit called the Time Machine so if we ever have an issue we can restore within minutes with minimal fuss.

Also, right click is the same with Mac as it is with PC, takes seconds to do in system preferences.
    Living MY dream.
  • VTech wrote:
    We use a piece of kit called the Time Machine so if we ever have an issue we can restore within minutes with minimal fuss.

Time Machine has saved my but so many times. It rules. :mrgreen:
    tick - tick - tick
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    I had a couple of hours to kill in Edinburgh airport the other week, so I was idly looking at the electronic gadgets (only cos there was no bike shop, obviously).

So I was admiring the unarguable beauty of the Apple kit they had on display - there was the iMac which is undoubtedly aesthetically a thing of great beauty... and the MacBook Air whose thinness was indisputable.

There was another MacBook with a retina display, so obviously I spent a few moments being impressed with the fact that even at my eyes' minimum focusing distance, I could detect no pixels at all.

Then I noticed. None of the MacBooks had a proper number pad at the right hand end of their keyboard. WTF????? So I googled a bit when I got home and sure enough, unless I'm missing a trick, there is no Mac laptop that has a proper separate number pad.

I was a bit surprised, I have to say. I'm sure lots of people don't mind, but I bet there are plenty that do. Complete dealbreaker for me - I work a lot with numbers, it would drive me crazy to have to use the row across the top all the time.
    The iMacs do come with a number pad on the right, it's on the wired keyboard option(at no extra cost). I have one, this option is also useful as the keyboard has a USB slot on the RHS so you don't have to faff around at the back when plugging in portable devices.
  • Surely as an it engineer you knew about the preference to set the right click?

I've still got an iMac from 2008 and it runs as well as the day it was bought. I dread to think how a PC used everyday for 5 years would be running.

Apple do things well such as the iPad, iMac and MBP but it really needs to pull its head out and take a look at the latest android phones before releasing a new iPhone. To say they reinvented the way people interact with a mobile phone, they have dropped the ball with that part of the empire.

PCs would be brilliant If Microsoft weren't involved.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    daviesee wrote:

:D:D

I did hear that Macs are popular with women and artistic types. :wink:
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • markos1963 wrote:
    The iMacs do come with a number pad on the right, it's on the wired keyboard option(at no extra cost). I have one, this option is also useful as the keyboard has a USB slot on the RHS so you don't have to faff around at the back when plugging in portable devices.
    Yes, I've seen the one on the iMac. I find the keyboard takes a bit of getting used to (I use one of these), but it's Ok.

But no number pads on any of the Mac laptops - that I can find anyway. The iMac, albeit beautiful, is a little large for the train. I mean, I know quite a lot of PC laptops don't have them either, but you don't have to go all that far up the price scale to get one with.

I got one of these a few months ago for work on the go (a bit cheaper than in that ad), and as non-Macs go, it's really, really nice. Unbelievable screen - literally bright enough to use on the train with the sun on it. I'd much rather have that than glossy Retina (does Retina exist in matte?), in fact I don't think I'd ever buy a laptop with a glossy screen again.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    daviesee wrote:

:D:D

I did hear that Macs are popular with women and artistic types. :wink:
    There are also reports that they are popular with some exhibishionist males too. :twisted:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    no number pad.

:D

engineer.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • mr_eddy
    In answer to Giant Man. I DO own a G4 Mac and I have been working in IT for 16 years so I think I am reasonably well qualified to comment, Also in answer to others that state I am obviously biased towards Mac this is complete rubbish. I have just posted 5 reasons why PC's are cr*p too

I own computers running OSX, Linux and Windows, Each has their place. In my opinion Windows is better for business use especially in a network/server environment. Mac's are better for home use or creative use (read PS or Video Editing etc) and Linux is great because it is free and is open source.

Its worth re-iterating that my 5 points are exactly that - mine / my view. Every one has their own view.
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    But no number pads on any of the Mac laptops - that I can find anyway. The iMac, albeit beautiful, is a little large for the train. I mean, I know quite a lot of PC laptops don't have them either, but you don't have to go all that far up the price scale to get one with.

It's pretty unusual even on a PC laptop, isn't it? (I've never had a laptop with one). There are USB and wireless numberpads, of course, though I imagine they're not very practical if you're stuck using a seatback 'desk' on the train.