Had 5 bikes Stolen overnight

Comments

• BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Spen - sounds to me lke there were more than one of them and to take the felt/wood etc and 5 bikes, they either had accomplices or a vehicle?

Still, I expect all this and more is going through your head right now.

Sorry for your loss and hope you get a result.
  • Burndust
    Burndust Posts: 100
    very likely that it was someone you know who did this, maybe a neighbour passed the info on, doesn't sound very opportunist to me tbh
    Boardman CX Team
    Carerra Crossfire 2
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Roastie wrote:
    (Massive generalisation ... but) You do wonder why virtually anything to do with cycling is treated with at best negligence, or worst contempt, by virtually every quarter of society.

In this country
    Yeah. :(
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I'm really sorry to hear that Spen, its dreaful that there are those who seem to think they've a right to invade your personal property and help themselves to what's rightfully yours.

Personally I think that organised burglaries are on the increase.

I've heard too many recent accounts to think otherwise and in these accounts its clearly a multiple person job and/where they've scoped out the property.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    rjsterry wrote:
    Roastie wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Sorry to hear about it Spen.

It is often not just the bikes being nicked, it is that someone has been on your turf without your permission....

I met a guy in the local Police Station who had his bikes stolen three times. Every time he replaced them, they just go nicked again. So, he had metal posts embedded into the concrete on his garage floor, the garage door barricaded and used kryptonite locks all over the bikes. The thieves came back again, managed to bend up a corner of the garage door to get in and then used his tools to strip all the components off the frames......All he had left were frames and wheels.

Sometimes they are just relentless, which suggests professional and organised.
    That is pretty terrifying. :(

All the more so as the police were clearly taking minimal action to prevent it happening. He must have been struggling to get insurance.

He was the most pi$$ed off guy I have ever met! I was reporting my bike stolen at the same Police station, they just pulled the doors off my shed and hoofed it over the fence, the bitch of it was that my wife was in labour at the time - there was a van parked outside with the motor running so, I knew summit was up, but was not sure what or where....nothing I could do TBH. I guess they did his house the same night they did mine. We live in a pretty good area, low crime, good schools - both myself and the other guy were obviously followed home from work, we both used the same major road in Bristol and got marked.

The outcome, well, I got my insurance pay out after a weeklong fight. I think the other guy had given up and bought a scooter.

The Police were not terribly interested.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    gtvlusso wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Roastie wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

He was the most pi$$ed off guy I have ever met! I was reporting my bike stolen at the same Police station, they just pulled the doors off my shed and hoofed it over the fence, the ***** of it was that my wife was in labour at the time - there was a van parked outside with the motor running so, I knew summit was up, but was not sure what or where....nothing I could do TBH. I guess they did his house the same night they did mine. We live in a pretty good area, low crime, good schools - both myself and the other guy were obviously followed home from work, we both used the same major road in Bristol and got marked.

The outcome, well, I got my insurance pay out after a weeklong fight. I think the other guy had given up and bought a scooter.

Unless its a murder, missing person or something high profile you just don't get the same level of high quality detective work as you used to.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • gtvlusso
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Roastie wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

He was the most pi$$ed off guy I have ever met! I was reporting my bike stolen at the same Police station, they just pulled the doors off my shed and hoofed it over the fence, the ***** of it was that my wife was in labour at the time - there was a van parked outside with the motor running so, I knew summit was up, but was not sure what or where....nothing I could do TBH. I guess they did his house the same night they did mine. We live in a pretty good area, low crime, good schools - both myself and the other guy were obviously followed home from work, we both used the same major road in Bristol and got marked.

Unless its a murder, missing person or something high profile you just don't get the same level of high quality detective work as you used to.

Should have committed a bit of perjury too, or hacked a voice mail....

Bring back Dixon of Dock Green - He'd have had the scallywags, just by drinking a strong cup o' tea and saying 'hullo, hullo'.....
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    edited February 2013
    im hopefully connecting my shed to our house alarm this weekend, so if they do get into my man cave at least i will hear them

i was going to fit a door sensor but decided on a pir instead

is it true the police cant lift finger prints off a wooden shed?
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • gtvlusso
    mudcow007 wrote:
    im hopefully connecting my shed to our house alarm this weekend, so if they do get into my man cave at least i will hear them

I have a friend who has mounted a shotgun blank into a firing arrangement on his shed door. if you open the door without disabling the device - KABOOM!

**Blank round does not fire anything - just make noise!**
  • mudcow007
    gtvlusso wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:

I have a friend who has mounted a shotgun blank into a firing arrangement on his shed door. if you open the door without disabling the device - KABOOM!

Hello!
  • gtvlusso
    Thats it!

Kaboom!

leave your thief with the brownest of the jogging pants....
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    gtvlusso wrote:

Sounds good, but if it dropped an ACME anvil or grand piano on the thief it would be perfect.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    mudcow007 wrote:

You need a smooth non absorbant surface for prints, so unless your shed panels are highly sanded and polished the no.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • mudcow007 wrote:

Can I suggest you get a dual technology motion sensor that utilises both PIR and microwave. It eliminates false alarms because it needs both movement & heat to trigger an alarm. Microwave detects air changes caused by moving objects,
    PIR detects heat sources against background heat.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Keep the bikes indoors ?

I did notice the tiny amount each bike is valued at on our home insurance renewal, wouldnt cover a set of replacement wheels let alone a full bike :?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • t4tomo wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:

You need a smooth non absorbant surface for prints, so unless your shed panels are highly sanded and polished the no.

Exactly.... CSI (and that genre) have really raised expectations but when I was burgled, they only bothered dusting the the gloss paint near the door and the TV set. All the wooden table tops and the bags they'd rifled through weren't suitable for prints...
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 wrote:

Can I suggest you get a dual technology motion sensor that utilises both PIR and microwave. It eliminates false alarms because it needs both movement & heat to trigger an alarm. Microwave detects air changes caused by moving objects,
    PIR detects heat sources against background heat.

sorry yeah thats what i bought...i think...
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    I have a PIR which when triggers I hear it in the house which is plugged into the wall next to me at night. Works a treat. Was fairly cheap too from B&Q. Gives me time to aim the crossbow out of the window :-)
  • Firstly, that sucks. Sorry to hear about your bikes getting nicked.

Just a thought, you mention a Garmin mount on one of the bikes. Do you strava or upload your rides to any other site? If so, could they have looked at where your rides begin/end and worked it out from there? There's an option to make your home 'private' on there, so the ride starts/ends half a k from your house. Sorry if you're already aware of this.
    Ribble Audax - FCN 5
    Dedacciai Pista - FCN 3
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    MrSweary wrote:
    Abosutely gutting. As I was putting my bike back in the shed on Sunday I noticed a roofer a few doors down and though 'oh f***, here we go'.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you mean by 'oh f***, here we go' upon seeing the roofer?

I'll draw my own conclusions then.
  • Hmm. We're about to move our bikes from the house to the newly constructed outhouse. As the outhouse is a wooden structure, there is no steel or concrete to secure anything to. So I had the idea of chaining all seven bikes together with lengths of chain and padlocks.

I've just priced up how much that's going to cost. I won't say precisely how much, but it's roughly 10% of the value of the bikes (for chains and locks that will actually withstand a concerted attack).

Ouch.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Firstly, that sucks. Sorry to hear about your bikes getting nicked.

Just a thought, you mention a Garmin mount on one of the bikes. Do you strava or upload your rides to any other site? If so, could they have looked at where your rides begin/end and worked it out from there? There's an option to make your home 'private' on there, so the ride starts/ends half a k from your house. Sorry if you're already aware of this.

I don't use Strava and I don't share my garmin data on any sites

But you are right, that data would tell the scum where you live
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • itboffin
    Hmm. We're about to move our bikes from the house to the newly constructed outhouse. As the outhouse is a wooden structure, there is no steel or concrete to secure anything to. So I had the idea of chaining all seven bikes together with lengths of chain and padlocks.

I've just priced up how much that's going to cost. I won't say precisely how much, but it's roughly 10% of the value of the bikes (for chains and locks that will actually withstand a concerted attack).

Ouch.

Could you not just set up a camp bed and have one of your man-servants live in there? they could also buff them nightly for you :roll:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin wrote:
    Hmm. We're about to move our bikes from the house to the newly constructed outhouse. As the outhouse is a wooden structure, there is no steel or concrete to secure anything to. So I had the idea of chaining all seven bikes together with lengths of chain and padlocks.

Ouch.

Could you not just set up a camp bed and have one of your man-servants live in there? they could also buff them nightly for you :roll:

That lump in the patio? That's the last manservant. His "buffing" produced a scratch.

He buffs no more.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336

Ouch.

Is there room for a metal bike shed within the out house? You can get one of those for £500-600, which might be close to the same cost as the chains and locks, and keeps them further out of sight.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I've thought about this and if I had a suitable building, I would get a steel frame, a bit like a heavy duty clothes rack - something like thishttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUPER-Heavy-Duty-TALLER-Clothes-Rail-4ft-Long-6ft-6-High-Metal-Garment-Rail-/321053828512?pt=UK_Home_Garden_LivingRoom_MagazineRacks_SR&hash=item4ac04ca5a0

Put the feet in concrete buckets and hang bikes from it on hooks to wheels (alternate front/back wheel) linked with an almax chain http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/ofcmje75/All-Products/c-1-73/ through the middle of them and locked at either end. Then fit alarm to chain.
  • When did this thread turn into a discussion about how to build your own BDSM dungeon?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    When did this thread turn into a discussion about how to build your own BDSM dungeon?

And not a word from t'other Greg.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    sorry to hear that despite my soon to be forthcoming flippancy

Did you have a chip/tracker on any of the bikes?

enhanced-buzz-18513-1360104599-2.jpg
    FCN = 4
  • itboffin
    Team Garmin just had 16 di2 Cervelo R5 stolen how the hell would someone be able to do that?