Had 5 bikes Stolen overnight

spen666
spen666 Posts: 17,709
edited February 2013 in Commuting chat
Had 5 bikes stolen from my garden shed overnight. They were all padlocked together along with 3 other bikes that were left.

Thieves broke in by cutting through felt and wood on shed roof. Shed is totally destroyed as a result. They had to lift bikes out of shed and over 6 foot high fence to get them away.

Shed has no window in it, so not sure how they would have known bikes were there as I keep my work bike in the house, so do not use the shed regularly

1. Ribble Blue winter road bike with black mudguards - medium sized frame - spd pedals
2. Donohue framed Fixed wheel bike with race blade mudguards and on seatpost the block for a carradice saddle back - coulour - red/ purple ( I'm colour blind) - spd pedals
3. Blue framed fixed wheel bike - make unknown - possibly missing pedals
4. Trek White / Grey ladies road bike - small size - spd pedals
5. Gold coloured Giant flat barred road bike - flat pedals

bike 2 has mount for Garmin 800 GPS & rear wheel speed/ cadence sensor
Bike 1 has older Cateye 2 computer on it

None of the bikes were insured

To say I want to bring back the death penalty today for a certain category of crime is an understatement
Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666

Comments

• Holey Moley - that's really crap. You must feel a bit like I did when my classic Alfa Spider was vanadalised in its garage (every panel scratched, roof & seats slashed) and tools stolen. B@stards!!! Sounds really organised.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    dude thats pants...

could they not be covered under house contents insurance?

saw a thing from Iran the other day, they have "invented" a finger removing device (basically a circular saw) for convicted thieves

Linky

that might make them think again...

do you think they just randomly hit your shed or maybe see you going into your house?

i hate tea leaves
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • To be honest if you ride a womans bike you deserve it :lol:

They must have been scoping you out for a while, thats the scary part - there are some utter sh1ts out there.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • spen666
    To be honest if you ride a womans bike you deserve it :lol:

They must have been scoping you out for a while, thats the scary part - there are some utter sh1ts out there.

None of those bikes have been out of the shed for a couple of months- I've only ridden my commuter bike.

I am concerned to know how they knew they were there and as to how organised they have been

Twittering @spen_666
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    spen666 wrote:

None of those bikes have been out of the shed for a couple of months- I've only ridden my commuter bike.

I am concerned to know how they knew they were there and as to how organised they have been
    That part is definitely a worry.
    Sorry to hear about that. Keep an eye on Ebay, Gumtree and the like. I got mine back after it was pinched, it appeared on Ebay about 6 weeks later. Presumably the toerag thought I would have given up by then.
  • spen666
    Veronese68 wrote:
    spen666 wrote:

That part is definitely a worry.
    Sorry to hear about that. Keep an eye on Ebay, Gumtree and the like. I got mine back after it was pinched, it appeared on Ebay about 6 weeks later. Presumably the toerag thought I would have given up by then.

Cheers for that advice - I will be looking there frequently

Twittering @spen_666
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Rotten luck. Bookmark this: www.bikeshd.co.uk
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    spen666 wrote:

You may be over-estimating the intelligence and planning of the thieves - most likely they chanced it and got lucky.

And seriously - ring your house insurance.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    I see you've stuck them on the stolen threads. I presume you've read the stickys over there. Pictures might help on the very remote chance somebody spots them.
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Bad luck dude. Sorry to raed about that.
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Abosutely gutting. As I was putting my bike back in the shed on Sunday I noticed a roofer a few doors down and though 'oh f***, here we go'.

Our bikes are all chained together in the shed (although insured). The only comfort I can take from my arrangement is that there is no easy access to the shed and that the garden is overlooked on three sides.

I prefer castration as a solution for the thieveing b****rds.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    May help to post your location so people know which area to keep an eye out in.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • spen666
    May help to post your location so people know which area to keep an eye out in.....

Good point - I'm in IG3 area of Ilford,

I did post location in stolen bike section

Twittering @spen_666
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Guess your house has quite good sound insulation?
    I'm very paranoid about my bikes in the shed. Almost to the point of overkill on locks - two wire alarm locks & a motorbike alarm lock through two chains, one toughened steel & the other 2cm diameter lifting chain. Along with other locks. I reckon should hear anyone trying to make away with them if I'm in.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Nightmare.

They even attack garages - a neighbour lost his downhill MTB and racing BMX's - they went in via the roof.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    spen666 wrote:

I dont think they were after the bikes in the shed. they were after the bike they saw. if they were after the bikes in the shed they would have taken all of them.

the thing is now they know you still have 3 bikes left and one other, if they actually knew that your commute bike was not in the shed.
    to sum up. they saw a cyclist on a nice bike. saw where he lived. checked it out around the back Oh a shed. might be more than one bike. come back later with the tools they think they need. just did not have enough hands to take them all.

check you insurance and makesure any bike in the house can not be seen through any curtain and check your locks.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    Following on from nicklouse, they might have been opportunists. Sheds offer pretty rich pickings - tools, bikes, mowers, barbecues, etc. - and are easier to get into than houses, so they might have just been after whatever they could grab. What help that is, I don't know. Might be worth fitting a metal roof (corrugated galvanised steel) as this is a lot more hassle and noise to cut through than 12mm OSB.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Really feel for you spen666, that's terrible.

MrSweary wrote:
    Abosutely gutting. As I was putting my bike back in the shed on Sunday I noticed a roofer a few doors down and though 'oh f***, here we go'.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you mean by 'oh f***, here we go' upon seeing the roofer?
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    ouch, sorry to hear about that
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • spen666 wrote:
    Had 5 bikes stolen from my garden shed overnight. They were all padlocked together along with 3 other bikes that were left.

That is very sh!t news indeed. Sorry to hear it.

Did the thieves break and leave the locks, or must they have moved the bikes whilst locked together?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    I guess from him saying they were locked together but then left three they must have broken the locks..
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    Sorry to hear. If they wanted them that badly, there would have been easier ways to get them off you, so all things considered. I had my bike stolen from my shed once. Spend a ton fortifying the place only to decide I no longer wanted to keep them there.
  • Really feel for you, that's awful. Brrstards.
  • spen666
    Had a better look last night - they've not cut the cable, but have cut the padlocks off the cables and then removed the padlocks from the scene!!!

They have also had to smash through the roof, so that the shed is now unrepairable. Interestingly, the wood and felt has been removed from the scene as well!

it is as though they have tried to remove anything that might link them forensically to the scene - ie no chance of fingerprints etc

Thanks to everyone for the kind words.

Twittering @spen_666
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    spen666 wrote:
    it is as though they have tried to remove anything that might link them forensically to the scene - ie no chance of fingerprints etc

What a touching faith they have of our constabularies likelihood of actually getting off their arses and doing something.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Sorry to hear about it Spen.

It is often not just the bikes being nicked, it is that someone has been on your turf without your permission....

I met a guy in the local Police Station who had his bikes stolen three times. Every time he replaced them, they just go nicked again. So, he had metal posts embedded into the concrete on his garage floor, the garage door barricaded and used kryptonite locks all over the bikes. The thieves came back again, managed to bend up a corner of the garage door to get in and then used his tools to strip all the components off the frames......All he had left were frames and wheels.

Sometimes they are just relentless, which suggests professional and organised.
  • Roastie
    gtvlusso wrote:

It is often not just the bikes being nicked, it is that someone has been on your turf without your permission....

I met a guy in the local Police Station who had his bikes stolen three times. Every time he replaced them, they just go nicked again. So, he had metal posts embedded into the concrete on his garage floor, the garage door barricaded and used kryptonite locks all over the bikes. The thieves came back again, managed to bend up a corner of the garage door to get in and then used his tools to strip all the components off the frames......All he had left were frames and wheels.

That is pretty terrifying. :(
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    Roastie wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

That is pretty terrifying. :(

All the more so as the police were clearly taking minimal action to prevent it happening. He must have been struggling to get insurance.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Roastie
    (Massive generalisation ... but) You do wonder why virtually anything to do with cycling is treated with at best negligence, or worst contempt, by virtually every quarter of society.
  • Roastie wrote:
    (Massive generalisation ... but) You do wonder why virtually anything to do with cycling is treated with at best negligence, or worst contempt, by virtually every quarter of society.

In this country
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH