Be honest, will Froome win the Tour?

13»

Comments

• Castelli

Thanks, but no thanks. I could maybe wear an Assos strait-jacket, but only on dress-down Friday.

A man of high standards, its apparent

You can be anything you want on the internetz. The sad truth is, all my strait-jackets are last season's DHB.
    I have a policy of only posting comment on the internet under my real name. This is to moderate my natural instinct to flame your fatuous, ill-informed, irrational, credulous, bigoted, semi-literate opinions to carbon, you knuckle-dragging f***wits.
  • I was talking to somebody very senior in team sky a little while ago and off record his money was on contador. Also backed up my suspicion that froome was an ar5ehole in real life and not liked on the team at all, which did make me chuckle. I want contador to take it. Weather he will be eating magic burgers again remains to be seen
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    If Froome can serve up a few of these http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDhLx2Ue_xI, I don't care if he wins or not. I suspect most here were on our feet at the time. Shame if perfectly healthy intra-team rivalry blinds us to great performances.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Castelli

Thanks, but no thanks. I could maybe wear an Assos strait-jacket, but only on dress-down Friday.

A man of high standards, its apparent

You can be anything you want on the internetz. The sad truth is, all my strait-jackets are last season's DHB.

I was going to re-tweet this but then realised I wasn't on twitter. :roll:

Strava is not Zen.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    Macaloon wrote:
    If Froome can serve up a few of these http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDhLx2Ue_xI, I don't care if he wins or not. I suspect most here were on our feet at the time. Shame if perfectly healthy intra-team rivalry blinds us to great performances.
    Impressive. But Cobo aint no Contador, Schlect, etc
    Rich
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    I was talking to somebody very senior in team sky a little while ago and off record his money was on contador. Also backed up my suspicion that froome was an ar5ehole in real life and not liked on the team at all, which did make me chuckle. I want contador to take it. Weather he will be eating magic burgers again remains to be seen
    Interesting - so send Froome to the slaughter? You think wiggins will try the double instead? Beating contador in the tour would surely cement his reputation or better to wait for a route that's more sympa like 2012?
  • Macaloon
    RichA wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:
    Impressive. But Cobo aint no Contador, Schlect, etc

Exactly. Which would make it all the more exciting should he perform as well up a level.
  • micron wrote:
    I was talking to somebody very senior in team sky a little while ago and off record his money was on contador. Also backed up my suspicion that froome was an ar5ehole in real life and not liked on the team at all, which did make me chuckle. I want contador to take it. Weather he will be eating magic burgers again remains to be seen
    Interesting - so send Froome to the slaughter? You think wiggins will try the double instead? Beating contador in the tour would surely cement his reputation or better to wait for a route that's more sympa like 2012?

No, Sky will fully support their chosen leader. the one and only Froomedog. He's going to be fantastic.
  • Will Froome win the Tour? Let's hope so. It'd be a shame to see the likes of Contador on the top step of the podium again.

DD.
  • No one's mentioned the Team Time Trial. Ok, so it's 25km, so not exactly a long one, and Saxo have strengthened the team as a whole this winter, but how much time do we reckon Contador's going to lose on that day alone? 60 secs?

Added to the Individual TT I reckon he's got to make up around 2mins on Froome in the mountains. No time bonuses at the Tour either.

I think the Spanish triumvirate of JRod*, Valve and Bertie are going to have to work together to break Sky on the climbs. Whether their teams will co-ordinate in any way I somewhat doubt. Sky have 3 potential podium riders in Froome, Uran and Wiggins. Sequentially mark the attacks, make sure you always have one rider in the break, suffocate the race.

The more I think about it, the more I think that Sky are holding all the cards

* I know, I know.
  • Macaloon
    No one's mentioned the Team Time Trial. Ok, so it's 25km, so not exactly a long one, and Saxo have strengthened the team as a whole this winter, but how much time do we reckon Contador's going to lose on that day alone? 60 secs?

Added to the Individual TT I reckon he's got to make up around 2mins on Froome in the mountains. No time bonuses at the Tour either.

Qatar TTT 14km Sky took 21s out of Saxo. Both teams no-doubt weaker than tour squads; Saxo more so since less squad depth? Interesting numbers. Comeback Contador not shown ability to hold onto dramatic gains.
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Schleck at 10/1 is pretty good odds, given his recent performances in the tour (2nd, 1st, 2nd) and the fact theres limited time trial distance in this coming one.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    You want convicted doper Contador to beat British ride Froome, because you heard he is an ar5ehole?
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • Macaloon wrote:
    No one's mentioned the Team Time Trial. Ok, so it's 25km, so not exactly a long one, and Saxo have strengthened the team as a whole this winter, but how much time do we reckon Contador's going to lose on that day alone? 60 secs?

Qatar TTT 14km Sky took 21s out of Saxo. Both teams no-doubt weaker than tour squads; Saxo more so since less squad depth? Interesting numbers. Comeback Contador not shown ability to hold onto dramatic gains.

And Sky admitted they got the tactics wrong and went out too hard - look at the time BMC pulled back on the downwind stretch...
  • durhamwasp wrote:
    Schleck at 10/1 is pretty good odds, given his recent performances in the tour (2nd, 1st, 2nd) and the fact theres limited time trial distance in this coming one.

Hmmmm. I think it's quite likely that Schlecks going to be living on past glories henceforth. I wouldn't fancy him at 10/1...
  • Macaloon wrote:

That is one example of many. More please.

260-RTR3727I.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    I have never met the man personally - but he took the time to make it to the impromptu Burry Stander memorial ride in Johannesburg the day after he was killed and spoke very well there. So till I see otherwise he is in my list of good guys.
  • clanton wrote:
    I have never met the man personally - but he took the time to make it to the impromptu Burry Stander memorial ride in Johannesburg the day after he was killed and spoke very well there. So till I see otherwise he is in my list of good guys.

Good to hear someone's first hand impression.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    clanton wrote:

You do realise that this is the internet and basing your views on first hand experience is not going to make you popular.
    :D
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • Macaloon
    If St Christopher and his chain show up with 2012 form, only Contador stands a chance. On key stages last year Froome towed Wiggins back to Nibali/Evans and had enough in the tank for an attack after a short recovery. Keeping Wiggo safe from friendly fire meant that we never saw if the attacks had legs. With roles reversed, you'd expect Froome to have a sedan chair ride from Wiggins' Hauliers leaving even more in the tank. His biggest problem may be putting enough time into Brad to compensate for TT losses.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I'm guessing that Froome won't be 33/1 this year, I must have been the only person in the country hoping for a Wiggins melt down.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,244
    Bozman wrote:
    I'm guessing that Froome won't be 33/1 this year, I must have been the only person in the country hoping for a Wiggins melt down.

Are you Michelle Cound?
    If not, then you were one of two.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Bozman wrote:

Are you Michelle Cound?
    If not, then you were one of two.

No, i'm just shallow and i was thinking about the money....