Be honest, will Froome win the Tour?

Comments

• Squaggles wrote:
    At least he does attack rather than looking at his power meter , less efficient but more exciting

Actually Froome looks at his power meter a lot - he was like a nodding dog in the Vuelta
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    This year - no. But maybe one day.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,244
    Squaggles wrote:
    At least he does attack rather than looking at his power meter , less efficient but more exciting

Actually Froome looks at his power meter a lot - he was like a nodding dog in the Vuelta

You think that's what he's doing?
    I genuinely believe he's looking down to recreate his Turbo maximal interval sessions...
    No really - don't believe that even the best in the World are looking at their Power Meters at the crux point of the hardest stages of the hardest races in the World when it's all kicking off. Seriously - the idea that anyone is in a position to make qualitative assessments of their outputs (and then make the appropriate adjustments) in the last few K of a MTF is a nonsense to me.

Watch the last 3Km of the Planche des Belles Filles stage at last year's Tour and show me anyone of the contenders looking at their flipping PM's...
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,176
    So, powermeters are bad?

strangelove3.jpg

(That's all my own work)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ocdupalais
    RichN95 wrote:

(That's all my own work)

When you say "all my own work", you mean in a Jeffrey Archer/Dan Brown kinda way? I believe I've seen that poster design previously...

Nice work, otherwise.

Funnily enough, I was going to suggest that for those who despair at Sky and decry their number-crunching and apparent lack of passion, should probably not watch Sky's own Mr Charisma here...
    http://video.cyclingnews.com/video/tim-kerrison-on-use-of-science-at-team-sky-and-clean-cycling-6g0I6KUsY10JE
  • RichN95.
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

(That's all my own work)

When you say "all my own work", you mean in a Jeffrey Archer/Dan Brown kinda way? I believe I've seen that poster design previously...

Nice work, otherwise.

Yes, yes, I know. That poster has been hanging in my house for over ten years. (It's one of my five favourite films - The Godfather, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Fight Club and Midnight Run are the others)
  • Andy Schleck 3rd favourite to win the tour. ROFL
  • RichN95.
    Overlord2 wrote:
    Andy Schleck 3rd favourite to win the tour. ROFL

I know. it's ridiculous. Of the five Grand Tours he's done, he's only ever come out of the top two once. Why would they place him as low as third?
  • ocdupalais
    RichN95 wrote:
    Yes, yes, I know. That poster has been hanging in my house for over ten years. (It's one of my five favourite films - The Godfather, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Fight Club and Midnight Run are the others)

Always preferred Time Bandits to Raiders (released similar time)...

Midnight Run, however, is possibly my fav all-time Hollywood film of that genre/ilk!.. Charles Grodin, DeNiro, Yaphet Kotto, Dennis Farina, Joe Pantoliano... magic.
  • RichN95.
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Midnight Run, however, is possibly my fav all-time Hollywood film of that genre/ilk!.. Charles Grodin, DeNiro, Yaphet Kotto, Dennis Farina, Joe Pantoliano... magic.
    My top five has been set in stone for some time. When I tell people and name four classics followed by Midnight Run, I either get a puzzled look or "Oh yes, great choice". People who were surprised at DeNiro doing comedy in Meet the Parents are idiots.

Long way off topic here, but that's one of this forum's strengths, we amble all over the place. It's fun.

On topic films:
    Out of Africa
    Froome with a View
    Froome at the Top
    Brad Lieutenant
    Froome Raider
    (TV Show: Breaking Brad)
    (Song: Kenya Feel It by The Jacksons)
  • ocdupalais
    DeNiro made me laugh in Stardust, too.

In the midst of shouty stereotypes, they still had time for lovely subtle touches... e.g. the DeNiro head-shake in this scene
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XyHK34JWPo

There are lauded film makers who never come close in an entire career to matching what this film achieves in a few moments...

Whilst wondering what happened to Charles Grodin, I unearthed loads of stuff that has me like him even more:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XyHK34JWPo

what a shame he was consigned to so many turkeys.
  • If Grodin and DeNiro were doing a big budget film would Grodin be allowed to upstage DeNiro or would he be under team orders to wait?
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,016
    Daz555 wrote:
    If Froome does what Wiggo tells him, then yes he can win.

One small possibility though is that Wiggo ends up in full support of Froome but never actually cracks. Wiggo then ends up beating Froome as a result of the time he will doubt take out of him even with the reduced TT mileage at this Tour.

This crossed my mind, but this year there are 3 alp stages after the last TT, Sky will commit to one leader (unless something goes wrong).
  • OCDuPalais wrote:
    Squaggles wrote:

You think that's what he's doing?
    I genuinely believe he's looking down to recreate his Turbo maximal interval sessions...
    No really - don't believe that even the best in the World are looking at their Power Meters at the crux point of the hardest stages of the hardest races in the World when it's all kicking off. Seriously - the idea that anyone is in a position to make qualitative assessments of their outputs (and then make the appropriate adjustments) in the last few K of a MTF is a nonsense to me.

Watch the last 3Km of the Planche des Belles Filles stage at last year's Tour and show me anyone of the contenders looking at their flipping PM's...

Alright, fair comment. Citing Planche des Belles Filles and you've got me. Maybe it was just something I noticed in the Vuelta and its a bit of a habit he has - or he was really just making a study of Spanish road surfaces :)
  • RichN95 wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    My top five has been set in stone for some time. When I tell people and name four classics followed by Midnight Run, I either get a puzzled look or "Oh yes, great choice". People who were surprised at DeNiro doing comedy in Meet the Parents are idiots.

Long way off topic here, but that's one of this forum's strengths, we amble all over the place. It's fun.

On topic films:
    Out of Africa
    Froome with a View
    Froome at the Top
    Brad Lieutenant
    Froome Raider
    (TV Show: Breaking Brad)
    (Song: Kenya Feel It by The Jacksons)

Oooh, there's a challenge if ever I saw one. Ok, I'll start with a song, see if I can come up with a film or two later;

Africa (What Made You So Strong?) - by Johnny Clegg and Savuka.

...and for the record, I see no compelling reason to suppose that the answer is anything other than dedication, training, and fortunate genetics. :wink:
    I have a policy of only posting comment on the internet under my real name. This is to moderate my natural instinct to flame your fatuous, ill-informed, irrational, credulous, bigoted, semi-literate opinions to carbon, you knuckle-dragging f***wits.
  • chrisday
    chrisday Posts: 300
    RichN95 wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    My top five has been set in stone for some time. When I tell people and name four classics followed by Midnight Run, I either get a puzzled look or "Oh yes, great choice".

Count that another "Oh yes, great choice" here! Midnight Run's in my top 5, and is a SPECTACULARLY underrated film...

And, on topic - don't think so. In the battle between my two main "want to like you for your riding style, actually dislike you for your dodginess/personality [delete as applicable]" protagonists, Bertie will have the better of Fenton. Still see him getting a podium if he can hack the pressure and avoid un jour sans
    @shraap | My Men 2016: G, Yogi, Cav, Boonen, Degenkolb, Martin, J-Rod, Kudus, Chaves
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,212
    I think Froome is physically capable of winning but is likely to have at least one brain fart akin to his trackstanding episode with Bertie at the Vuelta last year. He needs to win some one week stage races first like Wiggo in 2012.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Several area codes East of Topic, but I'm in need of handers resolving a credibility-threatening dispute about the merits of Full Metal Jacket vs Apocalypse Now.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    Back to the subject.

Why not?

2nd in the Vuelta, 2nd in the Tour, very good climber and an excellent TT rider, so why not?

Unless, of course, you just dont like him, or indeed, he rides for Sky.
  • On topic movies: too obscure?

200px-Leroux_Chambre_Jaune.jpg

'The Mystery of the Yellow Froome'
    I have a policy of only posting comment on the internet under my real name. This is to moderate my natural instinct to flame your fatuous, ill-informed, irrational, credulous, bigoted, semi-literate opinions to carbon, you knuckle-dragging f***wits.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Froome-Dawg to win

Contador - sh!te team backup.
    Schleck - lacks conviction.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • RichN95.
    symo wrote:
    Froome-Dawg to win

Contador - sh!te team backup.
    Schleck - lacks conviction.
    Contador can call on some decent support (they may not all do the Tour): Kreuziger, Roche, Rogers, Sorenson, Zaugg, Tiralongo....
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,960
    Panic froome?

I'll get my coat.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    RichN95 wrote:
    Contador can call on some decent support (they may not all do the Tour): Kreuziger, Roche, Rogers, Sorenson, Zaugg, Tiralongo....

I lika you; you make-ah me laugh.:D
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • 'For Froome the Bellharzia Tolls'

I don't even know how I got here. Does anyone have a coat I could borrow?
  • Will my straight-jacket do? :)
  • Will my straight-jacket do? :)

Is it a Rapha?
  • Castelli
  • Castelli

Thanks, but no thanks. I could maybe wear an Assos strait-jacket, but only on dress-down Friday.
  • Castelli

Thanks, but no thanks. I could maybe wear an Assos strait-jacket, but only on dress-down Friday.

A man of high standards, its apparent