Fined in Greenwich Park

Comments

• cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Extra £20.00 for moving so fast they crossed time zones?
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    Ok to cover some of the comments;
    1. Yep accept it was against the rules and have paid the fine, it's only £50 (I guess because it was Royal Parks police and therefore not £30?)
    2. What really hacks me off is the constant anti-cycling efforts of the park authorities, there was the anti-cycling gate they installed then had to remove because no one could get prams through, the cycle paths closed for the Olympics with no alternatives, the path I was on was until very recently a shared ped/cyclist path anyway, the fact I once counted 7 PC's policing one footpath. In 6 years I have never seen a cycle/ped incident in the park, are they trying to fix a problem that's not there. They are just forcing us out onto the main roads.
    3. Whilst the 2 PC's I saw were clearly too old and fat to do anything remotely dangerous, when we have packs of sword wielding kids hacking each other to death in the streets I'd rather my taxes went towards police who could try to deal with this. (and therefore sadly I think these 2 were enjoying it)
    4. I'm actually a good boy and don't RLJ.
    5. Finally to the sanctimonious twats sitting safely behind their computer screens, are you that brave in real life?
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    JPJ001 wrote:
    The Avenue is now closed to traffic for road works, only the footpaths on either side are open with big signs asking cyclists to dismount.
    apparently the police even stop cyclists when the road isn't closed.... for speeding, which i never understood, how can cyclists be expected to know what speed they're doing, most cyclists don't have speedos and it isn't a legal requirement to have 1 as in a car
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    Butterd2 wrote:
    1. Yep accept it was against the rules and have paid the fine, it's only £50 (I guess because it was Royal Parks police and therefore not £30?)
    2. What really hacks me off is the constant anti-cycling efforts of the park authorities, there was the anti-cycling gate they installed then had to remove because no one could get prams through, the cycle paths closed for the Olympics with no alternatives, the path I was on was until very recently a shared ped/cyclist path anyway, the fact I once counted 7 PC's policing one footpath. In 6 years I have never seen a cycle/ped incident in the park, are they trying to fix a problem that's not there. They are just forcing us out onto the main roads.
    3. Whilst the 2 PC's I saw were clearly too old and fat to do anything remotely dangerous, when we have packs of sword wielding kids hacking each other to death in the streets I'd rather my taxes went towards police who could try to deal with this. (and therefore sadly I think these 2 were enjoying it)
    5. Finally to the sanctimonious twats sitting safely behind their computer screens, are you that brave in real life?

Brilliant!

1) Your fault then...
    2) Mostly irrelevant. But if they are regularly doing this and have been for years, it's because somehow the message that it is not allowed is still not getting through to certain people.
    3) What??
    4) Not commiting 1 crime does not make commiting a different crime ok. Obviously.
    5) Brave enough to tell someone cycling like a fool that they are cycling like a fool? Yes.

I just don't get why you expected sympathy.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Butterd2 wrote:

That's a sh1tter, but seems to be logical.
    Butterd2 wrote:

Their park, their rules. Fair or not, that the way it is and you accept that by riding in the Park.
    Butterd2 wrote:

See above. I have sympathy as it is frustrating and annoying to be stopped and fined - but that's the risk innit.
    Butterd2 wrote:

Good man!
    Butterd2 wrote:

Yes, yes I am. Where are you sitting right now?
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    This is turning into a fine thread.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    All I can add is - Thanks for brightening up an otherwise dull day! :P
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Agreed - this has made me laugh! :D

for all the wrong reasons. :shock:
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Butterd2 wrote:
    sanctimonious twats

Why you sweet talker you, I can't believe they didn't just send you on your way with a warning.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Butterd2 wrote:
    sanctimonious twats

Why you sweet talker you, I can't believe they didn't just send you on your way with a kiss.

Now that's just Fabulous!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1997 ... ion/3/made

(4) use—
    (a)any pedal cycle, or
    (b)any roller skate, roller blade, skate board or other foot-propelled device
    except on a Park road or in an area designated and marked as being for that purpose by the Secretary of State;

So if it's not been added, you can't do it......

Now presumably at some point the joint ped cycle path was designated and marked....so you need to find when that was overturned (or if it was never actually approved) if you want to contest it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Gutted I'd just made a coffee before reading this thread. I now have coffee spray marks on my monitor. I love internet forum handbag fights.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Gutted I'd just made a coffee before reading this thread. I now have coffee spray marks on my monitor. I love internet forum handbag fights.

This thread was headed only one way right from the beginning :D

Only a thread arguing for helmet legislation could have had a more certain outcome... :lol:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    Gazzaputt wrote:

Only a thread arguing for helmet legislation could have had a more certain outcome... :lol:
    I was waiting for Godwin's Law to come into play.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Gazzaputt wrote:

I'll do it.

Bloody nazi police...
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,767
    rubertoe wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Gazzaputt wrote:

I'll do it.

Bloody nazi police...
    :lol:
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    rubertoe wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Gazzaputt wrote:

I'll do it.

Bloody nazi police...

We need to change the thread title to "Garotted in Greenwich Park".
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • ToeKnee
    ToeKnee Posts: 376
    I think you should appeal the ticket and, when that is refused, go to court. There you can express your feelings about the incident: how you broke the law, how you never RLJ and that the poilce have other laws they should have been enforcing at the time. I'm sure with your charming manner you'll win - no need to worry about paying court costs and/or an increased fine. Do come back and let us know how you got on?
    Seneca wrote:
    It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
    Specialized TriCross Sport+Ultegra+Rack&Bag+Guards+Exposure Lights - FCN 7
    Track:Condor 653, MTB:GT Zaskar, Road & TT:Condors.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Butterd2 wrote:

5. Are you?
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • ACAB

Now, claws away you, I thought we agreed that SCAB is an acceptable alternative!
    Bianchi Nirone C2C FCN4
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Butterd2 wrote:

Your main mistake was the original post.
    No-one on here ever breaks any rules and RLJ should be punished by death.
    exercise.png
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    ACAB

Now, claws away you, I thought we agreed that SCAB is an acceptable alternative!

SCAB has been taken by the unionists.

How about M(most)CAB
  • curium
    curium Posts: 815
    Butterd2 wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Are you allowed to ride in Greenwich Park? I would assume not if the Rozza's stopped and fined you.

Therefore; whats the problem?

You riding where you should not be riding or Rozza's enforcing the law?

The thread was really for others who use the Park, but don't let not knowing anything about it stop you from joining in.

I'm late to this thread but I usually cycle through the park every morning through Blackheath gate and then down The Avenue.

The only reason I haven't been doing so this week is that I heard they were resurfacing and so the park would be closed to all traffic.

Is this not the case? Also, what were you fined for, speeding?
  • curium
    Butterd2 wrote:
    the path I was on was until very recently a shared ped/cyclist path anyway,

I'm catching up on the thread. This is a good point. I remember one of the paths having a bicycle painted on it to indicate it was shared by pedestrians and cyclists. The paint has faded though but I'm not sure of the status of the path. The OP's experience would suggest it's peds only now.

I agree with the OP that there have been a lot of anti-cyclists measures around the park though. I enter the park by cycling over blackheath along a path that leads to the traffic lights on the A2. I cross the A2 and enter via Blackheath gate.
    The path across blackheath also was marked and divided to show that it was a shared cyclist and pedestrian pathway. Prior to the olympics it was resurfaced and the markings were not repainted. Does this change the status of that pathway? I can get no meaningful reply from either Greenwich or Lewisham council. I have received abuse from pedestrians walking their dogs about cycling along this path so it is doubly fru.strating that this time last year it was clearly marked as one side being for cyclists
  • curium
    Sketchley wrote:

This just shows the lip-service being given to cyclists. They are trying to keep cyclists on the road but are not protecting cyclists by putting in place good infrastructure or by prosecuting aggressive (see Bowers verdict) driving towards cyclists.

As Jon Snow says, paint on the road is not infrastructure!
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    I recommend a change of top to one of these:
    http://www.funkyshirt.co.uk/police-fede ... shirt.html
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 wrote:

5. Are you?

Wow, thanks for coming. As a 2nd row I've got to know a number of props quite intimately ( :shock: ) over the years but even by their low standards that's pretty pointless contribution.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • Butterd2
    curium wrote:
    Butterd2 wrote:
    the path I was on was until very recently a shared ped/cyclist path anyway,

I'm catching up on the thread. This is a good point. I remember one of the paths having a bicycle painted on it to indicate it was shared by pedestrians and cyclists. The paint has faded though but I'm not sure of the status of the path. The OP's experience would suggest it's peds only now.

I agree with the OP that there have been a lot of anti-cyclists measures around the park though. I enter the park by cycling over blackheath along a path that leads to the traffic lights on the A2. I cross the A2 and enter via Blackheath gate.
    The path across blackheath also was marked and divided to show that it was a shared cyclist and pedestrian pathway. Prior to the olympics it was resurfaced and the markings were not repainted. Does this change the status of that pathway? I can get no meaningful reply from either Greenwich or Lewisham council. I have received abuse from pedestrians walking their dogs about cycling along this path so it is doubly fru.strating that this time last year it was clearly marked as one side being for cyclists

Thanks curium it's not just me that feels they'd rather cyclists didn't use the park at all then.

To top it all off I'm sat at a Red on Tooley St this morning right next to a police car and a cyclist says "scuse me mate" pushes past jumps the red and rides off, the copper just sits there thinking about his next donught.
    I'm going back to RLJing :evil:
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • Whoa! Am I the only one who thinks the OP really didn't deserve such a kicking based on his first post?