Will Gerant Thomas ever be TDF contender?

1235»

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    edited July 2018
    Well apparently it wasn't in this thread (ahem). However I will absolutely hold my hand up and say that I definitely said, 'he'd never win a GT, should've stuck with classics etc...but I'd be very happy to be proved wrong'

And I am...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153
    How wrong so many of us were. Would love him to go back to trying to win P-R or RVV now. Who was the last rider to have the Tour and one of those to their name?
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    DjNTG44XsAAX3Q4?format=jpg
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    FZing. That is a beautiful picture. Can we nick it?
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    The photo is by Tim de Waele

Getty Images.
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    FocusZing wrote:

Getty Images.
    Cheers. Might reopen my old thread.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,644
    Yes, this is why I am an armchair DS on a forum and not in a cycling team....
  • alanparsons
    alanparsons Posts: 529
    G Hincapie wrote:
    Repetition is not a sign of intelligence.

Oh Frenchie, how I love you x

30,000 posts of mostly repetition about how great Alberto (Beefsteak) Contador is/was.
    Yes Frenchie it is a defiantly NOT a sign of intelligence.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    Yes, this is why I am an armchair DS on a forum and not in a cycling team....

I reckon if we crowdsourced the BR Pro Race Forum knowledge we could probably aspire to a proper DS position.*

*At Cofidis
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Wondered why I'd not commented on this thread at the time then realised it's because FF was all over Pro Race then.

Chris Newton reckoned that Geraint Thomas was the most talented lad in the GB set up at the time and he believed he'd be the first British TDF winner. This was about 09. Wiggins was certainly not on the cards at this point and all I knew of Froome at the time was him falling down a ravine in the 08 Tour and getting pushed out by his arse by a spectator.

I'm happy for Thomas, mainly because he's a couple of years older than me and his video diary of his first tour was like when you give a kid a camcorder at a wedding, and it was a bit of an inspiration at the time. Even better because after his Dauphine and Nat TT performance I put 20 quid on him winning :D
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • This thread resurrection has made me wonder what has become of the poster known as Richmond Racer? Their opinions were often good value...
    Giant Trance X 2010
    Specialized Tricross Sport
    My Dad's old racer
    Trek Marlin 29er 2012
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    FocusZing wrote:

Getty Images.
    There is a reason that Getty have a reputation, and it is quite often that you don't know why one of their photos is brilliant, just that it is.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    This thread resurrection has made me wonder what has become of the poster known as Richmond Racer? Their opinions were often good value...

Richmond Racer is alive and well, though using far less time on watching cycling.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    DG as well. He's a good boy! Got into that endurance racing.

Speaking of which, the TransContinental starts tonight. Ease the post tour blues with a bit of dot watching
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • G Hincapie
    G Hincapie Posts: 78
    G Hincapie wrote:

30,000 posts of mostly repetition about how great Alberto (Beefsteak) Contador is/was.

He is a properly nice bloke. I went for a beer with him a couple of times and we had a riot. He is also very intelligent, regardless of how you may choose to frame him from his posts here.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    This thread resurrection has made me wonder what has become of the poster known as Richmond Racer? Their opinions were often good value...

Richmond Racer is alive and well, though using far less time on watching cycling.

This forum misses RR. And yes, their opinions were very often good value.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    I'll admit to doubting that GT could win a GT. Delighted to be wrong though.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    I'll admit to doubting that GT could win a GT. Delighted to be wrong though.

I think the general consensus here was that Sky were ruining a bloody good classics prospect, with a fairly limited chance of success (also based on him not looking like he'd get chances in the Tour, which is a parcours that suits him better than the mad steep MTFs of the Vuelta and the Giro)
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    G Hincapie wrote:
    G Hincapie wrote:

He is a properly nice bloke. I went for a beer with him a couple of times and we had a riot. He is also very intelligent, regardless of how you may choose to frame him from his posts here.
    He was just a bit of a wind up merchant. I'm sure he could be fine in real life.
  • alanparsons
    alanparsons Posts: 529
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    G Hincapie wrote:
    G Hincapie wrote:

He was just a bit of a wind up merchant. I'm sure he could be fine in real life.

I have never met the man, so please forgive my ignorance on his level of intelligence.
    I have based it entirely on output here, especially the final post on how great Beefy Berty is.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,196
    The post deletion fairy's work means a post count of 29,988 rather than 30,000 for FF. Came up short after all.
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    A great performance from Thomas BUT if Froome hadn't decided to go for the Giro, choosing instead to try for a 5th TdF win, I think we'd still be debating if Thomas would ever be a TdF contender. (He probably wouldn't have won the Dauphine either).
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,033
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/44997708

Apparently GT peaking in July was the plan from December.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    Hardly surprising, I would imagine most pro riders are thinking about their season at that time and selecting one or more peak points. With Froome going to the Giro and obviously not doing the Dauphine it wasn't a difficult choice was it?
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    hypster wrote:
    Hardly surprising, I would imagine most pro riders are thinking about their season at that time and selecting one or more peak points. With Froome going to the Giro and obviously not doing the Dauphine it wasn't a difficult choice was it?

Yeah, all riders plan their seasons around peaking at certain points. Even amateurs will do this. It's not remarkable that he planned from December to peak in July at all - it's just the BBC being ignorant.