Will Gerant Thomas ever be TDF contender?

Comments

• as this thread's morphed into a G and Pete Kennaugh one, li'l Pete interview here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxGUawCgt3g
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,538
    edhornby wrote:
    He can TT but he can't TT with the best of them consistently all the way through a GT..

this really is a load of cobblers - if you have been riding on the front all through a 2/3 week tour in service for your protected rider do you really think that you are gonna storm the last TT even though you are mid table with a large portion of the season to come????

Don't go bringing reasoned debate and common sense into an internet argument! Besides, you've probably got poor insight and knowledge :lol:
  • My points still stand.

Pross, I know you are one of those whose hobbies it is to try and trip me up and comment silly things, but...you must try harder.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,538
    My points still stand.

Pross, I know you are one of those whose hobbies it is to try and trip me up and comment silly things, but...you must try harder.

No hobby of mine, when people make ridiculous assertions and are then pompous enough to claim anyone who disagrees with them has poor insight / knowledge or should be ignored then I'll pick it up.

I actually agree with you that Geraint won't be a Tour contender but your comments on his TTing ability are plain wrong as they take no account of the things that Ed mentions for a start. For me he won't be a contender because I don't think he'll climb with the best. I could easily be wrong as I would have said the same thing about Wiggins pre-2009 and G has shown a bit more pedigree at this stage than Brad had back then. I'd rather see him winning Classics than finishing 10th in the Tour though and as I said above I think people need to stop treating the Tour as the be all and end all. You would think cycling fans would appreciate a top one day racer even if they don't make it as a GT contender.
  • If someone is wrong it's not my fault. If someone has been wrong on a few points recently it is also not my fault.

I don't say ridiculous things at all. It is you who are saying it. That is your opinion. It is not fact.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,938
    Has Geraint's GT timetrialing ability ever been really tested?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    If someone is wrong it's not my fault. If someone has been wrong on a few points recently it is also not my fault.

I don't say ridiculous things at all. It is you who are saying it. That is your opinion. It is not fact.

Ironic that this post could apply to you exactly Frenchie...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • In your opinion.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Has Geraint's GT timetrialing ability ever been really tested?

Who knows whether he has had the opportunity of the motivation to. He has placed reasonably at times and others times not so well. Who knows whether he will be able to reach the top echelons required in a GT to podium. I think he has it in him to be up there but not the very best but he has yet to show that. He has put his proper road hat on now so I expect to see various changes over the next two years.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    In your opinion.

Exactly

Often your opinion is in the minority on here Frenchie #Jus'Sayin
    - @ddraver
  • I have never been the sheep. Have you?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    When 99 people say A and 1 person says B...99% of the time A is right.

I don't call that being a sheep though I call that sensible. When B is clearly based on an emotional attachment for that 1 person, it's even less likely that it's right.

It's like the Crazy maverick Scientist thinking that if everyone else says I'm wrong, then I must be on to something!!

No...
    - @ddraver
  • I agree with you.

Problem is that it isn't the case on this forum.

Keep trying.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    except it's exactly the case....
    - @ddraver
  • In your opinion. An opinion I have little confidence in.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    Well, the point is that there are many more people that agree with my opinion than yours....Ok there's the 1 in 1,000,000 chance that you right, but there's also the 999,999 out of 1,000,000 chance that you re wrong.
    - @ddraver
  • Repetition is not a sign of intelligence.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    Often a sign of accuracy though....
    - @ddraver
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Thomas has delayed his development a year or 2 with his olympic priorty. As it did Wiggo. I think G could do GC by 2015
  • NOW THEN BOYS! lets not argue...

I didnt mean to start an inter-mafia family war amongst the Bikeradar dons!!
    :D
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,645
    Think it's time this thread was given a bump
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    I still think the answer to the question "will Gerant Thomas ever be a TDF contender?" is no.

However the answer to the question "will Geraint Thomas ever be a TDF contender?" is yes.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,326
    Think it's time this thread was given a bump
    It's a blast from the past :lol:

I'll admit I read it carefully through to see if I'd made a definitive "No way" pronouncement. Phew.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    He's not a contender he's a winner
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Joy for cycling fans globally!
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    There's some good posters in there who are sadly missed.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • G Hincapie
    G Hincapie Posts: 78
    LMAO @ this thread resurection! :mrgreen:
  • G Hincapie
    G Hincapie Posts: 78
    Repetition is not a sign of intelligence.

Oh Frenchie, how I love you x
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    He will never win the Tour. I don't think he wants to either.

He can't TT with the best if them. He cant climb with the best of them. Both are crucial.

Good and exciting rider though. Definitely been riding long enough to go after a heavyweight win. Depends on that stupid team will let him and support him.

This has to be worth a bump..... :D
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    deejay wrote:
    20 years ago, if you had asked that question about a certain Lance Armstrong.
    The response would have been very similar to this thread even though he was world champion. :roll:

This now reads like a spectacularly prescient piece of poo-stirring. Take a bow for trolling through time and space like some sort of Dr Who incarnation gone feral.