Will Gerant Thomas ever be TDF contender?

Comments

• Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    ^^ Amnesties all the rage at the mo :lol:
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,938
    deejay wrote:
    20 years ago, if you had asked that question about a certain Lance Armstrong.
    The response would have been very similar to this thread even though he was world champion. :roll:

....and they would have been correct.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • chrisday
    chrisday Posts: 300
    So really Thomas would be better off using his skillz at trying to win either Flanders or Roubaix. Well, that's what I think...

Surely you mean "using his skillz at trying to win Flanderz"? ;)
    @shraap | My Men 2016: G, Yogi, Cav, Boonen, Degenkolb, Martin, J-Rod, Kudus, Chaves
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    I think this is a big year for Little Pete. Track has been put to bed and it is now time to step up and start showing what he's got. We talk about his potential (and for GT's I think there is still a level of maturation to come)Howver, don't forget he was racing against the likes of Sagan a couple of years ago whereas we would now consider sagan to be established and Little Pete to be a newcomer.

G looked trimmer at the TDU than I can ever remember him being. Perhaps capable of a couple of one weekers as well as classics? Also don't forget he pulled his @ss around the Tour as pretty much a kid when racing for Barloworld.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • chrisday wrote:
    So really Thomas would be better off using his skillz at trying to win either Flanders or Roubaix. Well, that's what I think...

Its a fair question. Though I look forward to P-R and seeing him coming flying past at Sarz et Rosierez
    :)
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    I think he can be a TdF top-5 man, maybes in 3 or 4 years - as im pretty sure Wiggo/Froome will be Skys man for the next 2.

Classics has to be his big goal.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • chrisday wrote:

Its a fair question. Though I look forward to P-R and seeing him coming flying past at Sarz et Rosierez
    :)

:D

Cool, I'll see you there! Mind you, don't usually go to Sarz-et-Rosièrez, I'm normally heading to Gruzon by then...
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Kennaugh has lots of time to develop and has shown promising things in the mountains. Still, comparing him with his generation internationally, he's only one year younger than Van Garderen, and he's a year older than Pinot, Sagan and Moser, and two years older than Kelderman.
  • Geraint.
    I have a policy of only posting comment on the internet under my real name. This is to moderate my natural instinct to flame your fatuous, ill-informed, irrational, credulous, bigoted, semi-literate opinions to carbon, you knuckle-dragging f***wits.
  • sportvan
    sportvan Posts: 105
    I heard that Thomas lost his spleen a few years ago in a nasty training accident a few years ago so not sure what effect this would have on him if he really pushed himself in a 3 week tour. I'm sure he also stated that he has to have a very special injection once a year and has to be very carefull and not get ill.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,938
    Prologue guy and first week Yellow Jersey holder (a la Spartacus)?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • G is a class rider, no doubt. And the thing is, he clearly enjoys his riding. I spoke to him before the 2010 prologue (about an hour before he went off the ramp) and he was as cool as a cucumber, grinning from ear to ear (Wiggo looked very nervous). So he's a bit jokey, and because of that might come across as someone who may not have the killer instinct. But he can concentrate enough to perform eg Olympic gold, TDU.
    I just think maybe that Sky are banking on others for the future, which could be a big shame for him, and he ends up being a super-domestique.
    Ending up a bit like Nico Roche? Maybe that's a fair call.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    By rights he should be one of the contenders in the classics now - he's good enough and old enough. Whether he can ever become a GT contender - possibly but there are other riders his age or younger with as good or better credentials - another Nicolas Roche maybe but that would be a poor return for his talent.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • pomtarr
    pomtarr Posts: 318
    People are quick to write off Roche. He's 28 so still has a few good years ahead. He's willing to go and learn from the Beef Muncher for a couple of years, then he'll step up. Should he have stayed at AG2R so long? Probably not, but I think he still has a lot of potential.

OK, thread well and truly derailed, time to get back to GT>>>>>>>
    "Difficult, difficult, lemon difficult"
  • I think he could be an outside contender in the next few years. If you compare his track performance to Wiggo, he has gone faster than Wiggo in both the individual and team pursuits which suggests a huge engine. On Sky's website last year it had him at 75Kg, this year it says 70Kg so he's working on the power to weight ratio. Although I personally think he would be better trying to be the first Brit to win Roubaix or Flanders.
    Nil Points
  • I think he could be an outside contender in the next few years. If you compare his track performance to Wiggo, he has gone faster than Wiggo in both the individual and team pursuits which suggests a huge engine. On Sky's website last year it had him at 75Kg, this year it says 70Kg so he's working on the power to weight ratio. Although I personally think he would be better trying to be the first Brit to win Roubaix or Flanders.

I think that's the primary and initial goal tbh
  • Although I personally think he would be better trying to be the first Brit to win Roubaix or Flanders.

You mean the 2nd Brit to win Flanders.
  • Burke = not much skillz on the road. Trackie through and through. Not even a decent crit rider like Clancy

Kennaugh on the other hand...much excitement about him for the future

DOn't know if I've missed the boat on this, but I've raced against Burke on a number of occasions and he certainly had the skills then.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edited January 2013
    dupe
  • Burke = not much skillz on the road. Trackie through and through. Not even a decent crit rider like Clancy

Kennaugh on the other hand...much excitement about him for the future

DOn't know if I've missed the boat on this, but I've raced against Burke on a number of occasions and he certainly had the skills then.

I was being a little facetious
  • Although I personally think he would be better trying to be the first Brit to win Roubaix or Flanders.

Ker-pow

Major Tom
  • I was being a little facetious

Don't you mean facetiouz?
  • I was being a little facetious

Don't you mean facetiouz?

That's so, like, yesterday :)

Ker-pow

Major Tom

:oops:

D'oh <shuffles away in shame after forgetting about Tom Simpson>
    Nil Points
  • chrisday
    chrisday Posts: 300
    sportvan wrote:
    ... I'm sure he also stated that he has to have a very special injection once a year and has to be very carefull and not get ill.

Don't remember hearing that - any linkage?
    If nowt else, that'd get the Sky-Bashing Twitterati (henceforth to be known as the SBTs) and Asylum posters in a froth, wouldn't it?
    @shraap | My Men 2016: G, Yogi, Cav, Boonen, Degenkolb, Martin, J-Rod, Kudus, Chaves
  • chrisday wrote:
    sportvan wrote:
    ... I'm sure he also stated that he has to have a very special injection once a year and has to be very carefull and not get ill.

If nowt else, that'd get the Sky-Bashing Twitterati (henceforth to be known as the SBTs) and Asylum posters in a froth, wouldn't it?

Never ever ever heard this one
  • chrisday wrote:
    sportvan wrote:

Anybody who has had a splenectomy has to have medication for the rest of their lives. They are left with a greatly weakened immune system, and have to carry a MedicAlert bracelet or pendant.
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    If Brailsford has touted him as a possible winner, why not? Numbers, innit......
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,540
    Geraint.

Glad you spotted that. Up until then I thought we were talking about some Belgian rider I'd never heard of :lol:
  • chrisday wrote:
    sportvan wrote:

Anybody who has had a splenectomy has to have medication for the rest of their lives. They are left with a greatly weakened immune system, and have to carry a MedicAlert bracelet or pendant.

Does this explain the bioflow bracelet? :wink: