Carbon frames on turbo trainers, can it cause damage?

2»

Comments

• VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    Loved that video :)

More attention seeking

Ritalin.
    Living MY dream.
  • Imposter wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    so ive stuck with the bmx on the trainer

BMX on a turbo - that's got to be worth posting a pic, surely ?
    That was exactly my thoughts. Please VTech can we have a picture of you on your bmx on a turbo. :D
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    It is a Mountain bike not a BMX or BMW - keep up!!!
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • VTech
    Here :)

excuse the mess, the room is yet to be completed.

tacx.jpg
    Living MY dream.
  • ArdyOCD
    ArdyOCD Posts: 136
    Funny looking bmx....
    1-2-3-4 Tell me what you're looking for
  • VTech
    ArdyOCD wrote:
    Funny looking bmx....

I had earlier explained that the comment "BMX" was actually an error as I was really referring to a mountain bike, sorry.
    Living MY dream.
  • birdie23
    birdie23 Posts: 457
    VTech wrote:
    This has turned into a great debate but again, my only reason for not putting mine on is that i would prefer to fit a cheaper bike to it, I am looking for a cheaper bike on ebay and if thats carbon or alloy I am happy to use that.
    Obviously a turbo with a fixed point will add more stress to that point but wether or not to a level that could cause damage is something I dont know and as you mention above, would it be any worse with other materials ?
    I come into contact with lots of carbon, very high end carbon and from my experience the damage is rarely from abuse of stress but rather from impact which backs your theory.

You obviously have yet to experience hitting a pothole at 40+mph :-) When you do, the sound will be like the whole bike is about to explode, but don't worry, you can then stop treating your carbon dream machine as a fragile work of art, and realise that they really are pretty strong.

Check out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z1fSpZNXhU

It's not a debate, just people trying to explain to you that your fears of breakage is unfounded, and there is no requirement to waste your money on a second bike (although a second wheel is useful)

But it's your money, so buy another bike if it makes you feel happy.

I hit a pothole on my carbon bike on Friday at 25mph, all I heard was me going "arghhhh" as I departed the bike for the asphalt.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • lef
    lef Posts: 728
    Rollers all the way. No extra stress to the frame and it builds core, bike handling, smooth pedalling and with practice you can sprint on them, one leg drills etc. and no problem with doing threshold intervals.
  • lef wrote:
    Rollers all the way. No extra stress to the frame and it builds core, bike handling, smooth pedalling and with practice you can sprint on them, one leg drills etc. and no problem with doing threshold intervals.

Don't mention smooth pedalling or one leg drills round here, or this thread will quickly go to 8 pages.....! :lol:
  • lef
    lef Posts: 728
    well Ive done it now then, but I do remember how shocked I was when I first got on some rollers and realised how choppy my pedalling was. I agree jury is still out on one leg pedal drills, tbh I very rarely do them.