Wiggins loses sideburns / wont ride the tour to win

Comments

• ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,236
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    you won't begrudge a few sheepish posters a moment or two to bask in the glory, will you?

Let me kindly draw your attention to these two threads - their content, the OP and their continuation may all be of interest to you.

viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12865063&p=17728454
    viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12869259&p=17774986

And you don't want to know how many results 'wiggins' gets back on my online photo account.

That's very kind of you.

Now put 'Contador' in the 'search topic' function and you get 198 thread counts... Does that mean no new ones should be started?
    It stands to reason that the most successful riders will generate lots of interest and that there will be parallel/duplicate threads and comments.
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Now put 'Contador' in the 'search topic' function and you get 198 thread counts...
    Any thoughts on how many of these discuss his shameful, unabashed, proven cheating?
    No place in cycling.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,661
    nic_77 wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Now put 'Contador' in the 'search topic' function and you get 198 thread counts...
    Any thoughts on how many of these discuss his shameful, unabashed, proven cheating?
    No place in cycling.

And the rest are probably all started by the same person with the initials FF.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,950
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    you won't begrudge a few sheepish posters a moment or two to bask in the glory, will you?

Let me kindly draw your attention to these two threads - their content, the OP and their continuation may all be of interest to you.

And you don't want to know how many results 'wiggins' gets back on my online photo account.

I'm conflicted.

While FF is coming across as a bit of a **** he is also correct. There's far too much thread churn on here with the same topic being discussed in multiple threads.

Unfortunately I don't have any construction suggestion on how to improve this.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ocdupalais
    But anyway... the thing that most caught my attention in the Guardian article posted by OP was Wiggins contemplating having a decent bash at L-B-L prior to Giro (used to be my fave classic, but seems to have lost some of its lustre in the last decade...). Tour champion doing the Spring Classics always goes down well with the grumpy purists...
  • Ooh yes. He'd have to turn up the diesal engine and then do a monstrous TT to the finish

Whether or not he stands a chance at least he fancies a shot at new goals

A more complete summary of the two interviews
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wiggins ... al-of-2013
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 480
    OCDuPalais wrote:

I'm conflicted.

While FF is coming across as a bit of a **** he is also correct. There's far too much thread churn on here with the same topic being discussed in multiple threads.

In my defence (do i need representation?) I did have a scoot down the first page to see if I could fine the froome thread at lunchtime but possibly missed it (don't get much time for lunch) but I did think this interesting to add. For the two suggested threads this doesn't have a picture of wiggins nor is it about wiggins in 2012.

The common problem with the longer threads if that they often go off topic which poses other issues...plus I also read these threads after the event as is the case here!
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Wiggo is better at time trials than froome though isn't he ? Surely he's gonna blitz froome every time it's a tt,?
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Rigga wrote:
    Wiggo is better at time trials than froome though isn't he ? Surely he's gonna blitz froome every time it's a tt,?
    His 2012 form put him in a different class to every rider on the planet in the TT.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,159
    Daz555 wrote:
    Rigga wrote:
    His 2012 form put him in a different class to every rider on the planet in the TT.
    An on-form Tony Martin would have beaten him a few times, I reckon.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    RichN95 wrote:
    Daz555 wrote:
    Rigga wrote:
    An on-form Tony Martin would have beaten him a few times, I reckon.

ooh not sure either way.. would have been interesting to watch if Martin had stayed in the tour
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,797
    An uninjured Cancellara more like.

He looked like he was almost floating compared to the rest of the peloton on box hill.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,159
    A Cancellara who was still bothered with TTing, maybe. But the last couple of years he looks looks like someone who feels he has nothing left to prove in that arena (and he hasn't), but still has much ambition elsewhere.

(He hasn't beaten either Martin or Wiggins in a TT in the last two seasons, other than the 6km Tour prologue)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ocdupalais

He looked like he was almost floating compared to the rest of the peloton on box hill.

Sublime description of a sublime rider.

His Olympic RR crash was the nail in the coffin of a year of could've beens that weren't for FC.

The few shots of him in prep for 2013 show a pretty lean geezer.

If he's on one this year he's still the main man, and they all know it. The Panzerwagon? He's exactly that: powerful but lacking grace - he muscles and brutally drools his way around TT courses. Wiggins was sublime last year, but no one in the current peloton has managed 2 such TT seasons back-to-back since... Cancellara '06 - '10 (he got '08 off for good behaviour).
    Is there anything sadder than seeing champions in decline (Tyson losing, Sinatra not being able to sing any more, Indurain losing to f*cking Bjarne F*cking Riis)?

Of all the top pros who had a duff 2012, he's the one I want to see come back.

Actually, maybe there is just one thing sadder than the decline of greatness: it's the grasping onto former glories.

I'm glad it's bedtime...
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    There's far too much thread churn on here with the same topic being discussed in multiple threads.

Start a thread to complain?
  • Nick Fitt
    Nick Fitt Posts: 381
    Froome can win the Tour, I do agree with RR though, he hasn't led a team so that's an issue in the back of my mind, probably more in my mind than his. I do expect/want/look forward to/deserve to watch some heavy mano y mano mountain battles with Bertie which should be fun. Anyone care to guess his race schedule through to the summer? Regards Wiggo, he should be knackered having 'just' won the Giro.
  • I think Froome has Tour of the Algarve as his curtain-raiser. Sky surely have to have him leading team at P-N? Suspect that they'll have him follow similar sequence of races as Wiggins (and him, except P-N which Froome missed) last season.
  • Sky have announced Bradders and Froome's race programmes (in run up to Giro / Tour)

http://www.teamsky.com/article/0,27290, ... 01,00.html

Intriguing thing for me is...P-N. Froome's doing T-A, no mention of it for Bradders. So...maybe Porte's going to get the shout? Think they have to give him something bigger than just defending his Tour of Algarve title.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,393
    3hr Q&A with Brailsford, Kerrisson and Ellingworth today with a group of journos....apparently most of the journos are utterly stumped with the amount of science hey threw at them....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    New thread needed.

Would be nice to see Porte get leadership for PN. I think I read they'll be finishing with the same Col d'Eze TT that Wiggins and Westra did battle on last year. Should suit Porte nicely.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,950
    WigginsFroome_2890582.jpg

That picture is quite unflattering to Wiggins. He looks like he has a belly forming....
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • WigginsFroome_2890582.jpg

That picture is quite unflattering to Wiggins. He looks like he has a belly forming....

Pics were done in Oct when Bradders had been on the larrup since the Olympics. Hence a smidgeon of love handle action/jelly belly
  • djhermer
    djhermer Posts: 328
    Yup....that's why he insisted on the 'arms folded across the belly' pose. There's also a hint of a double chin.

Still, that's what's refreshing for me. Acts normally - if a little excessively - immediately post season.

He'll be right come spring.
  • pomtarr
    pomtarr Posts: 318
    Wiggo interview on Channel 4 News: http://bcove.me/maq245dx (if you can ignore the Jon Snow's wince inducing pronunciation of 'Giro'.
    "Difficult, difficult, lemon difficult"
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Nick Fitt wrote:
    Froome can win the Tour, I do agree with RR though, he hasn't led a team so that's an issue in the back of my mind, probably more in my mind than his. I do expect/want/look forward to/deserve to watch some heavy mano y mano mountain battles with Bertie which should be fun. Anyone care to guess his race schedule through to the summer? Regards Wiggo, he should be knackered having 'just' won the Giro.

Didn't Froome lead at last year's Vuelta? I'm just reading Wiggo's book at the moment. The "Boardmanesque" attention to detail in the training methodology for last year is incredible. Many people have raised eyebrows at how Sky performed last year but it really was racing by numbers. It goes a long way to explain their success. I just can't see some of the established European teams having approached training that way...I wonder if they will now.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 480
    almost dare not post this but ... http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/ja ... -de-france

Best bit about the Channel 4 interview was bradley walking into the hotel says to his media person "and make sure they all call me Sir Bradley!"
  • Mooro wrote:
    almost dare not post this but ... http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/ja ... -de-france

Best bit about the Channel 4 interview was bradley walking into the hotel says to his media person "and make sure they all call me Sir Bradley!"

When was that interview shown? Quite like to see that bit :)

Oh, just read post above :oops:
  • Ha! just watched it. you know full well that some people will think he was being serious when he said that to Fran Millar :roll: :)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,661
    Sky have announced Bradders and Froome's race programmes (in run up to Giro / Tour)

Intriguing thing for me is...P-N. Froome's doing T-A, no mention of it for Bradders. So...maybe Porte's going to get the shout? Think they have to give him something bigger than just defending his Tour of Algarve title.

That BBC item you linked earlier with Brad's LA comments had Froome down as doing P-N :?
  • Pross wrote:
    Sky have announced Bradders and Froome's race programmes (in run up to Giro / Tour)

That BBC item you linked earlier with Brad's LA comments had Froome down as doing P-N :?

Strange. Sky website with that link has Froome riding T-A.