Wiggins loses sideburns / wont ride the tour to win

mooro
mooro Posts: 480
edited January 2013 in Pro race
dont think the two are related (they arent) but he is confirming he is riding in support of Froome.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/ja ... -de-france

Comments

• Any story that has the Maillot Jaune holder dressing up as Batman, has to be a winner
  • Guess it makes sense for DB to cover all his bases when picking the tour squad in case Froomie does crack though I personally would love to see him win.

We will see if Batman can ride the Giro to win and the tour in support though am sure Sir DB will have planned this all out already.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,159
    edited January 2013
    Which Batman? Adam West, Michael Keaton or Christian Bale? (Or god forbid, George Clooney)
    Once again, no transparency from Sky.

(Off topic, but in his book Armstrong described how, as a little kid, he used to ride about dressed up as Darth Vader. Darth Vader FFS! The signs were there early on.)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • chrisday
    chrisday Posts: 300
    Guess it makes sense for DB to cover all his bases when picking the tour squad in case Froomie does crack though I personally would love to see him win.

Completely understand the choice - like DB demonstrated with Hoy vs Kenny for 'lympic sprint, he's not guided by sentimentality at all.
    And as much as I want to like Fenton, I can't bring myself to do so - nothing to do with 'loyalty' or not last year, just find him a bit, well, dull, which is odd given his more attacking style. Think it's more to do with his personality. Tho I'll be well happy with a Froome (and therefore GB-ish) win, I'd be happier if he cracked a bit and Wiggo took over ;)
    @shraap | My Men 2016: G, Yogi, Cav, Boonen, Degenkolb, Martin, J-Rod, Kudus, Chaves
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    "I don't want to be a celebrity," said Wiggins, explaining that at New Year he went skiing in the Alps with friends and went out to a New Year's Eve party dressed as Batman. "Someone recognised me in spite of the mask, asked me if I was Bradley Wiggins and I said I was called Jeremy ... I didn't want someone taking a photo of me dressed as Batman."

:lol::lol:
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    I blame Delilah...
  • Eddie72
    Eddie72 Posts: 33
    "But it looks as if Chris will be the leader this year. That doesn't mean I'll be riding 200km a day on the front of the bunch for him. We will be there together as he was last year with me in the mountains. Something could happen to Chris … he could be sick, he could crash as it happened to me in 2011 when we ended up without a team leader."

It's not quite "I'm fully behind Froome as he's got the best chance to win the Tour this year" is it?
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Sky wise to keep their options open, what with Froome's fragility and propensity to only ride like a world beater for a few weeks each year.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Eddie72 wrote:
    "But it looks as if Chris will be the leader this year. That doesn't mean I'll be riding 200km a day on the front of the bunch for him. We will be there together as he was last year with me in the mountains. Something could happen to Chris … he could be sick, he could crash as it happened to me in 2011 when we ended up without a team leader."

It's not quite "I'm fully behind Froome as he's got the best chance to win the Tour this year" is it?

And that's exactly what Froome did for Bradders in the Tour. Others were on bottle & cape duty, others chased down breakways at the start of the stages until Sky and the rest of the peloton were happy with the composition, and kept the breakaway under control. Froome didnt ride entire stages at the front of the peloton pulling it along. If you look back at videos of even the mountain stages, Froome only took over after first Rogers and then Porte did their stints and pulled off - usually with the last few kms to go. In fact, Froome was often in Wiggins wheel whilst the other Sky boys were pulling the bunch in the lofty stuff.

If you're plan B, you're not supposed to get sh&gged out acting as a regular domestique.
  • Hadn't he just shaved off the sideburns when he got knocked off his bike recently?

Seems like a bad move to me.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edited January 2013
    Hadn't he just shaved off the sideburns when he got knocked off his bike recently?

Seems like a bad move to me.

We could start a pressure group for him to re-grow them - pressure groups being all the rage in cycling :wink:
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Sky wise to keep their options open, what with Froome's fragility and propensity to only ride like a world beater for a few seconds each climb.
    FTFY
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edited January 2013
    Risking sounding like a broken record:

Froome still has to win a stage race. Any race. Even an SSR.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Within a month we'll see "Wiggo pushing for Tour" in another interview.

Just Sky playing silly beggers.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400

How dare you... I suggest you check Wikipedia and eat your words!

1st Tour of Mauritius
    1st Stages 2 & 3
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856

2nd in the Tour and Vuelta >>>>>>>>> Winning any race
  • Inky...I bow to you highlighting the Tour of Lovely 5 star Luxury Hotels Island. Chapeau, Froomedog :)

Milton, should have explained myself better. Yes, at ProTour level he's won 2 x GT stages, and been runner up on 3 (?) - and of course 2nd step overall for Tour and Vuelta. Great palmares from last 2 years.

However, he's not gone into a stage race as leader for Sky and won it, handling the pressure as leader day after day. The only stage race I think he's been leader since joining Sky is Tour of Beijing in 2011 (3rd overall).

Before last year, at least Wiggins has won the 2011 Dauphine as well as 3rd in P-N.

Lack of experience is what I'm getting at.

And he'll be up against Bertie, vile Piti et all - all very experienced at shouldering leadership in stage races - and winning.

Sky will put him up as leader for at least a couple of the pre-Tour biggies - they have to
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,395
    Daz555 wrote:
    Within a month we'll see "Wiggo pushing for Tour" in another interview.

Just Sky playing silly beggers.

Agreed!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    Well Fenton's girlfriend is back on the case... paging Mrs Wiggins

@michellecound:
    No, really? :P RT @CyclingRightNow: Wiggins: Froome may be leader http://goo.gl/fb/1iYkI #cycling #skysports

@VeloViking:
    @michellecound After reading Wiggins' book where he explains their relationship during last years Tour, I can't see that turning out well

@michellecound
    @VeloViking haven't read it, don't care to either :wink: maybe he'll give his spot up to someone willing to give their all!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,797

Does winning stages not count?
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,236
    ...Others were on bottle & cape duty

Rapha have missed a trick there

poizen-industries-mens-batman-caped-costume-hoodie-with-mask.jpg
  • ocdupalais
    pat1cp wrote:
    "I don't want to be a celebrity," said Wiggins, explaining that at New Year he went skiing in the Alps with friends and went out to a New Year's Eve party dressed as Batman. "Someone recognised me in spite of the mask, asked me if I was Bradley Wiggins and I said I was called Jeremy ... I didn't want someone taking a photo of me dressed as Batman."

Wiggins as Batman, indeed. As this photo of him with Dave Brailsford on New Year's Eve suggests, this is more lies from the Sky camp

batman-robin.jpg
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Keep going lads you need a few more pages before the day ends to fit into the model. Any thread about Sky, Wiggins, Froome, Cavendish or British element needs to have posters scrabbling to put their thoughts down.

FYI, here is a thread on Froome and the Tour lead:
    viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12892383
    Contador is the Greatest
  • nic_77 wrote:
    Well Fenton's girlfriend is back on the case... paging Mrs Wiggins

@michellecound:
    No, really? :P RT @CyclingRightNow: Wiggins: Froome may be leader http://goo.gl/fb/1iYkI #cycling #skysports

@VeloViking:
    @michellecound After reading Wiggins' book where he explains their relationship during last years Tour, I can't see that turning out well

@michellecound
    @VeloViking haven't read it, don't care to either :wink: maybe he'll give his spot up to someone willing to give their all!

Lady Wiggo has, like her husband, left Twitter. Unlike The Mouth of the South here.

Expect the media to leap on every gobshite tweet of hers and turn them into entire articles.
  • frenchfighter
    Expect the media to leap on every gobshite tweet of hers and turn them into entire articles.

Nice quote from an old school pro on 'those' 'journos'. Creating something out of nothing from their bedrooms.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Expect the media to leap on every gobshite tweet of hers and turn them into entire articles.

Nice quote from an old school pro on 'those' 'journos'. Creating something out of nothing from their bedrooms.

Yep, good quote.
  • OCDuPalais wrote:
    pat1cp wrote:

Wiggins as Batman, indeed. As this photo of him with Dave Brailsford on New Year's Eve suggests, this is more lies from the Sky camp

batman-robin.jpg

That had better be Gatorade in SurDave-as-Robin's hand, or there'll be hell to pay, sponsor-wise
  • frenchfighter

Yep, good quote.

Forgot to add in my post I mean from the Cycling Anthology book.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ocdupalais
    Keep going lads you need a few more pages before the day ends to fit into the model. Any thread about Sky, Wiggins, Froome, Cavendish or British element needs to have posters scrabbling to put their thoughts down.

With the World's No1 team, our first Tour winner, the fastest guy on the planet - and the image of the sport struggling to get out of a quagmire largely of its own making - you won't begrudge a few sheepish posters a moment or two to bask in the glory, will you? Not on a British forum, shurely? Besides; being British means that many of us don't expect it last.

Don't worry, though, FF - Puerto's back on the scene from next week, so we can expect Bertie's name back on the agenda...
  • frenchfighter
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    you won't begrudge a few sheepish posters a moment or two to bask in the glory, will you?

Let me kindly draw your attention to these two threads - their content, the OP and their continuation may all be of interest to you.

viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12865063&p=17728454
    viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12869259&p=17774986

And you don't want to know how many results 'wiggins' gets back on my online photo account.
    Contador is the Greatest