Anyone Riding Tomorrow

Comments

• fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Rode in.

MTB with Snow Studs worked absolutely fine. Main roads were fine, but considering I did less than a mile during the whole commute on main roads. Rode on the Trans Pennine most of the way to work, so no sliding cars to worry about. More snow near home as it's higher up, less near work.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Oh well, that was interesting. Couldn't decide on MTB with Marathon Winters, MTB with knobblies or Tourer.

Went for Tourer on the basis that there was no obvious ice and the snow wasn't settling on the roads and the full mudguards on the tourer keep feet warmer. Probably none of the options would have been ideal!

So little traffic I decided to extend my commute along the high level A650. Unfortunately, that was gridlocked at the top probably due to the M62 so I had to head back into Leeds. Unfortunately, the snow was starting to settle on parts of the road - either full coverage or just in places as random bits of packed snow a cm or so thick. So that was really interesting riding - trying to avoid being pitched over by sudden lumps of snow on the tarmac. Got in with 13.4 miles done at an average speed of 11.8 mph! I'll be taking a more sensible route home :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Oh yeah - avg speed according to Endomondo = 9.6mph.

Oh wait, just checked.... 9.2mph :shock:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rolf_f

Pussy :lol:
  • TheStone wrote:
    I took the tube or misery. Seemed a lot people still riding, but I didn't notice anyone on normal road tyres.
    Has anyone in London tried?

Rode on 23mm slicks. Pulled up along side a guy with studs... Commented that shouldn't those be used in snow? hehe, think it pi$$ed him off a little.

Why do people bother with going to all the effort of buying and fitting studded tyres for a central London commute. Surely for the 2, 3 days of year we actually have snow, just use main roads. I would imagine the studs on wet roads and no snow are actually worse for grip than road tyres?
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    well, I made it on the MTB with Snow Studs, but even with them there were a couple of seriously dodgy bits. It's a mile from home to the main road, first part was OK but then I turned onto a road that was hard-packed, glassy ice. Even the Snow Studs failed to grip on that, so I got off and walked on the footpath which had more snow, so more grip.

Main roads all clear but dirty, tow path fine, but the footbridge I have to walk over was slippery as feck - shoe grip << tyre grip !

I'm probably more cautious than usual as I'm off snowboarding at the weekend, and I don't want to break myself *before* I go.
    Misguided Idealist
  • Kieran_Burns
    Rolf F wrote:

Pussy :lol:

I know :oops: but in my defence I kept stopping to let cars by, plus I stopped a couple of times to lower the pressure in the tyres as well
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    MarkAshton wrote:
    TheStone wrote:
    I took the tube or misery. Seemed a lot people still riding, but I didn't notice anyone on normal road tyres.
    Has anyone in London tried?

Rode on 23mm slicks. Pulled up along side a guy with studs... Commented that shouldn't those be used in snow? hehe, think it pi$$ed him off a little.

Why do people bother with going to all the effort of buying and fitting studded tyres for a central London commute. Surely for the 2, 3 days of year we actually have snow, just use main roads. I would imagine the studs on wet roads and no snow are actually worse for grip than road tyres?

Not all of us who finish our commute in central London start our commutes in Central London. London only makes up the final third of my commute. Besides, having spikes on allows me to have a lot of fun in Richmond Park.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    im thinking of making some snow chains for on the way home

reckon linked together paper clips will get me any more grip?
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Kieran_Burns
    mudcow007 wrote:

Oooh, you should be able to ride along at a fair clip...
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • mudcow007 wrote:

If you have disk brakes, you can make nice snow tyres by wrapping zip ties around the rim and tyre.

Erm... they make you go zipping along.

Like so:

zip-tires.jpeg?w=440&h=240&crop=1
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    ^^ Does that actually work? ^^
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 wrote:

If you have disk brakes, you can make nice snow tyres by wrapping zip ties around the rim and tyre.

Like so:

nice, will red ones make me go faster?

yellow are so last season
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    The weather's looking a lot better. I think I'll just take a couple of days off the bike.
    http://uk.weather.com/weather/10day-London-UKXX0085
    exercise.png
  • rubertoe wrote:
    ^^ Does that actually work? ^^

I have no idea, really. Can't imagine it'd be much cop on ice, but I imagine that it'd be good for snow.
  • Kieran_Burns
    IMAG0013.jpg

IMAG0014.jpg

IMAG0015.jpg
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,324
    Snow is no issue really though. New snow is nice. Ice is the problem. Deadly, deadly, ice.

That or ice with snow on top.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • bushu
    bushu Posts: 711
    edited January 2013
    similar to kb, set off but oncoming cars unable to steer themselves and myself being guided by the snow to every drain on the road..
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    No work on Friday when the first snow hit Brizzle but have ever since and been on 25c Gatorskins but taking the longer, flatter route to work which is snow free. Today with traffic shall be different though. Luckily for me I have time to swap tyres before work not needing to leave home till after 12 noon.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,324

Like so:

Just hope he never gets a puncture...
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • bushu
    bushu Posts: 711
    Really really hard pushing through all the snow, note to self - let the kids sledge and hardpack everything before trying again..
  • mudcow007
    IMG-20130118-00096_zpse224e4cf.jpg
  • rolf_f
    TheStone wrote:
    The weather's looking a lot better. I think I'll just take a couple of days off the bike.
    http://uk.weather.com/weather/10day-London-UKXX0085

What good is knowing what the weather in London is of all places?! :lol:

Seriously though - ideally just stick with the Met Office site. It's the original source of all the worthwhile forecasts and more comprehensive. Either the site you linked uses Met Office in which case it is a bit superfluous or it uses other sources in which case it is pointless!
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I'm not riding or running until temperatures come back above freezing - simply not worth it. I've bought a temporary pass for the gym at the end of the road so I can go for a run on the treadmill instead (can't stand stationary bikes).
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    17 miles this morning at 18mph average, on 23mm slicks. A bit of face-freeze from the snow but, other than that, what's all the fuss about? :P
  • Made it in on my MTB. Got sprayed with slush by all of passing cars though, so my kit is soaked and a dirty grey colour.
    Just hope it dries out before the return leg.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • leeefm
    leeefm Posts: 260
    Yep; southwest London totally clear on the main roads...
    Shand Skinnymalinky
    Argon 18 Radon
  • Just about made it in to work in one piece on my Genesis Equilibrium, evidence I definitely need to finish this cyclocross build sooner rather than later as the non main roads were almost impassible
    First love - Genesis Equilibrium 20
    Dirty - Forme Calver CX Sport
    Quickie - Scott CR1 SL HMX
    Notable ex's - Kinesis Crosslight, Specialized Tricross
  • wod1
    wod1 Posts: 61
    5 miles here in Lincolnshire, No snow issues, road was busy enough to have black tyre lanes. stayed on the tyre tracks, It rained a bit last night then snowed later without being below zero so no real ice to worry about. Was horrible black wet slush.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    9 miles on 25mm slicks for me. The only slightly sketchy bit was my road as despite it being a bus route they never seem to grit it properly. Hopefully it will syat nice and clear for the ride home.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.