Anyone Riding Tomorrow

mick_cornick
mick_cornick Posts: 175
edited January 2013 in Commuting chat
As the title says; who is riding tomorrow? Train for me. :oops:

Comments

• Widgey
    Widgey Posts: 157
    Yes, but I live in Brizzle so the snow isn't forecast until Tuesday. It'll just be cold..
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    The weathers never stopped me before so it won't do tomorrow.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Well, yes, of course I'll be riding - only about an inch or so up here.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Of course since I finally have the weather to justify my winter tyre choice.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • flipp
    flipp Posts: 52
    yes can't wait,was fun last year and so far it's a bit deeper :lol:
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    The weather rarely stops me either. Dangerous cross-winds on the Kessock Bridge or snow simply too deep to get a bike to move in (both of which I've had - tried and failed) will stop me but nothing else. Hardly any snow up here anyway so I'm not bothered.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • leeefm
    leeefm Posts: 260
    Considering it, but not sure how much ice there will be as it is freezing over night... I go out in most things, but I'm fairly inexperienced in ice and snow :oops:
    Shand Skinnymalinky
    Argon 18 Radon
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Absolutely. The deeper the snow the better.

It started about 2 hours ago now, not heavy but steady and the road is starting to be covered.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • not only that more than likely go the long way home! can you tell I like snow?
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    May have to walk my road but all good, anyone been in RP over the weekend?

Saying that, if the trains are down could WFH!
  • iPete wrote:
    May have to walk my road but all good, anyone been in RP over the weekend?

Saying that, if the trains are down could WFH!

the roads looked clear RP but I was on the trail and it was dark for most part.
  • bushu
    bushu Posts: 711
    today has arrived and I'm trying not to commute so i can play out instead, roads are a joke and a foot deep i think is overkill for winter marathons well thats my story :?

now i just want mini skis attaching to stablisers and theres a notorious hill that needs tackling 8)
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    I took the tube or misery. Seemed a lot people still riding, but I didn't notice anyone on normal road tyres.
    Has anyone in London tried?
    exercise.png
  • nope i chickened out as well, the main roads look ok, but just didnt want to risk it, yep was also on the tube of misery, why cant people learn to smile its not that hard
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I wimped out and got the tube - sheer and utter pain and torture.

I'll be back on the bike tomorrow though and on road tyres.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Local roads are sheet ice so I decided to work from home today. Glad with my decision.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    last mile was a bit tricky, being sheet ice but other than that not much different to a normal journey in.
  • pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    TheStone wrote:
    I took the tube or misery. Seemed a lot people still riding, but I didn't notice anyone on normal road tyres.

I cycled in with normal road bike gear this morning, perfectly fine on 23's, just avoid the untreated cycle lanes!

An alarming amount of salt build up on my overshoes has me worried about by bike though :shock:
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    The main roads in London are never icy, so unless you're worried about grit and salt on your bike, there's no problem riding in. You just have to walk along the side roads...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • edds
    edds Posts: 156
    TheStone wrote:

I cycled in with normal road bike gear this morning, perfectly fine on 23's, just avoid the untreated cycle lanes!

An alarming amount of salt build up on my overshoes has me worried about by bike though :shock:

I cycled on my road bike also, was fine once I got to the end of my road. Just looking at the salt on my garmin on my desk and was thinking I really should go and give my bike a rinse. Will have to wait till this evening. though.
    edd
    --
    FCN 4-5; Giant SRC 3; formally known as edduddiee
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Get the chain lubed quick!

Drove today as my daughter can't ride her 50cc Scooter in this, so she cadges a lift with me then gets the bus across the city. It would have been OK to ride on normal tyres, know this as I passed a cyclist on what looked like 23/25mm road tyres.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • BigLights
    BigLights Posts: 464
    i have to admit I wimped out this morning, for the first time in a very long time....but safety first and all that, there was still slush on the big roads round me (Wandworth - City) but by the time I'd got to Waterloo on the train I saw plenty of riders. I could probably have made it, but just wasn't feeling lucky today.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,315
    Yeah it was good fun. Undercover Elephant, as you're just above me in on the stats board I hope you changed your mind :)

Roads would have been fine with slicks, lots of people using them. Richmond Park was sketchy through the middle again though, glad I had spikes for that. Nice lack of wind so it was a slowish ride but not too hard.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    pangolin wrote:
    Yeah it was good fun. Undercover Elephant, as you're just above me in on the stats board I hope you changed your mind :)Roads would have been fine with slicks, lots of people using them. Richmond Park was sketchy through the middle again though, glad I had spikes for that. Nice lack of wind so it was a slowish ride but not too hard.

This is my only concern and hence while i will be back on the bike tomorrow.

Will just stick the spare CX wheels on with knobbly tyres, what is the worst that can happen.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • leeefm
    leeefm Posts: 260
    For those who can't get out today, you should get one of these!

http://www.blessthisstuff.com/stuff/sports/radical-sports/ktrack-snow-bike-kit/
    Shand Skinnymalinky
    Argon 18 Radon
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Main roads in London were mainly OK. Commute wasn't actually much fun - combination of packed snow / frozen slush on side roads where even with knobblies it was a bit sketchy and I was worried about wiping out, then cold wet main roads covered in salt on big fat buzzing tyres. Tyre choice probably justified though - there were a few stretches where you'd suddenly get an untreated stretch (mainly bus lanes) and I would have felt pretty unsafe on slicks (23mm or otherwise).
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    rubertoe wrote:
    pangolin wrote:
    Yeah it was good fun. Undercover Elephant, as you're just above me in on the stats board I hope you changed your mind :)Roads would have been fine with slicks, lots of people using them. Richmond Park was sketchy through the middle again though, glad I had spikes for that. Nice lack of wind so it was a slowish ride but not too hard.

This is my only concern and hence while i will be back on the bike tomorrow.

Will just stick the spare CX wheels on with knobbly tyres, what is the worst that can happen.

Crash on black ice, broken collar bone, following cars skid into you - I could go on! Don't forget knobbly tyres are pretty much useless on ice so you still have to really take care scanning the road in front of you, choosing your line and being prepared to slow or even stop if in doubt.
  • pangolin wrote:
    Yeah it was good fun. Undercover Elephant, as you're just above me in on the stats board I hope you changed your mind :)

No mind to change. Rode in this morning on the Day One with Marathon Winters, cold, wet, but tail-windy. During the ride, the wind picked-up more and more, got to Portobello and noticed all the cyclists coming the other way were in their granny-rings and still struggling. Just checked Windguru and it appears that I'll have a 30 mph average headwind gusting to 43 all the way home.

That does sound like fun on a single-speed. :|
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    rode in on mtb today

snow was a few inches deep, well enough to cover my tyres up to my rims

bleeding hard work though, bike wouldnt roll at all

still had a giggle though
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I got 5 miles in of my 12 miles and turned back.

I'm just watching the video and I can see why I did. The marathon winters did a sterling job but the snow on the ice, coupled with sections cut up by car tyres (not to mention the cars as well) had me all over the place.

If it had been just me, I would've made it but I knew that there was a NSL section coming up which I would be sharing with 38 ton artics and it was just too dangerous.

I'll sort out a vid a bit later - show what I was playing with!
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter