We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Richj
    Richj Posts: 240
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Tom Dean wrote:
    Armitstead - 'To me it's old news and should be left there' :roll:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/21036935

Couldn't quite resist having dig, by the looks of those comments. A bit petty really.

I just can't warm to Armitstead at times but at least she's starting to look like her performances might back up her mouth. Still think Lucy Garner is likely to be the lead GB woman most often in the future.

I predict Lucy Garner will be the best female road cyclist of her generation by a country mile. She will eventually wipe the floor with Armistead. Plus she is a VERY nice girl, and yes, she has beaten me to the cafe stop plenty of times. :oops:

I do hope so, although as inrng pointed out success in the junior ranks doesn't mean success as a senior http://inrng.com/2012/09/junior-world-c ... prospects/

Really nice girl, she beat me in a bunch sprint (into 4th) a couple years ago, she was 16!! :oops:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    RichN95 wrote:
    ^So you're 'anti-doping' but you actually want their to be doping )because it confirms your view that everyone is doping.So you're actually pro doping. The only thing actually important to you is whether are right.

So any evidence, such as the two accounts, must be judged not on their own merits but solely on whether they support you opinions.

My view is not that everyone is doping.
    As someone who has competed against dopers I find your comments offensive.
    I shall ignore you in future.
    This doesn't fit my pre-conceived ideas, so I'll just say you're lying, just like you have with Armitstead. At least we know who she is. Loads anonymous forum posters claim to be great racers, but just like you are making it up.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • zammmmo
    zammmmo Posts: 315
    ddraver wrote:
    Oh Trev you really are a wally arent you? :D

That's why he left the timetrialforum...he was hard to take seriously after a while.
  • Trev The Rev
    Trev The Rev Posts: 1,040
    RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    ^So you're 'anti-doping' but you actually want their to be doping )because it confirms your view that everyone is doping.So you're actually pro doping. The only thing actually important to you is whether are right.

So any evidence, such as the two accounts, must be judged not on their own merits but solely on whether they support you opinions.

This doesn't fit my pre-conceived ideas, so I'll just say you're lying, just like you have with Armitstead. At least we know who she is. Loads anonymous forum posters claim to be great racers, but just like you are making it up.

It was a different sport. I have never claimed to be a great racer.

Is it acceptable to call people liars on this forum?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    when they re lying it is....
    - @ddraver
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

See there you go again, Rich - jumping to the conclusions YOU had already decided on: there's nothing in Trev's recent posts that says he "competed against dopers" in cycling. Could be any sport...
  • Trev The Rev
    zammmmo wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

That's why he left the timetrialforum...he was hard to take seriously after a while.

I left timetrialling forum because too many people on there were small minded, unable to take a joke and abusive. Sadly some of you are on this forum too.
  • Trev The Rev
    ddraver wrote:

Are you calling me a liar?
  • zammmmo
    zammmmo Posts: 315
    zammmmo wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

I left timetrialling forum because too many people on there were small minded, unable to take a joke and abusive. Sadly some of you are on this forum too.

Sorry, I'm not biting.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Ahem. Gentlemen - kindly take this outside.

Meanwhile, back on topic - is there actually a book coming from Nicole, or is it idle speculation.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    zammmmo wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

There are lots and lots of small minded, unable to take a joke and abusive people on this forum Trev, I think you could have a good plan there...
  • RichN95.

Is it acceptable to call people liars on this forum?
    I'm merely applying the same standards to you that you are to Armitstead.
  • ddraver
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Ahem. Gentlemen - kindly take this outside.

Meanwhile, back on topic - is there actually a book coming from Nicole, or is it idle speculation.

Speculation, but given that there is currently a big market for "tell all" cycling books, it would be worth a shot, so speculation based on something...
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    ddraver wrote:

Are you calling me a liar?

eh?
    - @ddraver
  • Trev The Rev
    Despite several personal attacks I stand by what I said. Armitstead was silly to make the statement she did. I hope her opinion is her's alone and not the official line being taken by British Cycling.

'To me it's old news and should be left there'
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/21036935
  • ddraver
    Ah the repeat it again louder tactic...never fails :oops:
    - @ddraver
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    I stand by my previous statement, that with Nicole it's all about her. To claim there were no events back then for girls is wrong, as there were. Yes she had to do a lot herself but that's how things were back then, David Millar etc. would say likewise.

I see little mention of any thanks for the legions of riders who have ridden and helped her through the years. Just a few throw away lines. And then makes bizarre statements about how men wouldn't dope if the races were shorter, I take it she hasn't heard of people such as Dwain Chambers and Marion Jones then?
    Peter isn't her brother, her brother is Craig.
    She wasn't meaning 'Peter' literally.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,177
    Can't recall reading that part. Was she insinuating this Peter missed out due to doped riders? If so then based on Craig's results as a junior it is possible she was referring to him although how far he would have made it in the senior ranks for any number of reasons would be conjecture.
  • RichN95.
    Pross wrote:
    Can't recall reading that part. Was she insinuating this Peter missed out due to doped riders? If so then based on Craig's results as a junior it is possible she was referring to him although how far he would have made it in the senior ranks for any number of reasons would be conjecture.
    It's in the video interview on the BBC website, not the text
  • eh wrote:
    I stand by my previous statement, that with Nicole it's all about her. To claim there were no events back then for girls is wrong, as there were. Yes she had to do a lot herself but that's how things were back then, David Millar etc. would say likewise.

I see little mention of any thanks for the legions of riders who have ridden and helped her through the years. Just a few throw away lines. And then makes bizarre statements about how men wouldn't dope if the races were shorter, I take it she hasn't heard of people such as Dwain Chambers and Marion Jones then?
    Peter isn't her brother, her brother is Craig.
    She wasn't meaning 'Peter' literally.

Peter was a mechanic on the Raleigh Univega team.

Mate you surely do have some fixation here and it looks pretty ugly. How did you brew up that it was her brother? More scary - why would you want to do that ! If anyone was speaking on behalf of others it is Nicole Cook. This morning on the TV she was saying how Lance has made it tough for us at the grass roots trying to get sponsors for local events for kids. Given our summer here in the UK I don't see any of that, it has never been easier, but in the years before our success, around Festina time, the knock on effect was there. It is going to be there all across the states. Reading her statement it has plenty about others, in fact does not look pretty good, it looks outstanding. I would ask every youngster thinking of making a life in the sport read that before they got serious.

Your fixation is making you blind. One girl from our club went up to those first track champs at Manchester in 1998. Came back and soon gave up after being lapped by Nicole several times in the distance race. There were no championships before then.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    little ring needed - I cannot recommend your post highly enough. Absolutely spot on.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    afx237vi wrote:
    Her WC win was one of the most exciting races I've ever seen.
    I Agree.
    It was a classic display by a woman with a racing brain that could put a lot of pro-men to shame. She knew how to work a breakaway group then go in for the kill.
    I Agree
    Trouble was other than the Olympics, that was the only time she did that. Watch any other championship race and she would be doing far to much.
    I Agree but my next post (now below) should refer to that Olympics, where the work was done by Emma.
    deejay wrote:
    Now didn't Ema Pooley do well for her.
    Emma Pooley brought the break back several times and then Nicole then worked (as Y.P. says) the break to win.

I'm a fan of the "pocket blond" and her own palmares should not be overlooked. :roll:
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • Great photo! :D

_65273672_cdf_nicole_cooke_collects_01.jpg
  • RichN95.
    Great photo! :D

_65273672_cdf_nicole_cooke_collects_01.jpg

The Z team. The real secret influence behind GB's cycling success

286c0_article-2176740-1420A376000005DC-815_306x423.jpg
  • There's also a photo of Bradley, about the same age, wearing a Z jersey.
  • RichN95.
    There's also a photo of Bradley, about the same age, wearing a Z jersey.
    Who do think is in the photo I posted? It's not Paul Weller.
  • It was just showing up as "photo" earlier.

Possibly bandwidth issue. :)
  • Rochelle Gilmore's take on it (starts from 4:20 in)

http://mpora.com/videos/AAddybmw3rtn