ddraver Posts: 26,661
    :D lol!

Have nt actually read it yet but still

:D lol!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    double lol! in which case who is Father Dick Byrne?
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    afx237vi wrote:
    Her WC win was one of the most exciting races I've ever seen.
    It was a classic display by a woman with a racing brain that could put a lot of pro-men to shame. She knew how to work a breakaway group then go in for the kill. Chapeau to her, I hope she retains some involvement in the sport youngsters, particularly the young girls could learn a lot from her regarding tactics.
    Trouble was other than the Olympics, that was the only time she did that. Watch any other championship race and she would be doing far to much.
    Now didn't Ema Pooley do well for her.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    to be fair, independent sometimes and a little selfish on other occasions

*ducks to avoid missiles*

But I totally appreciate the fact that she forged a path for British woman cyclists

The best Pro-Cyclists are selfish. There's nothing wrong with it at all, it's needed to win.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    deejay wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    Her WC win was one of the most exciting races I've ever seen.
    It was a classic display by a woman with a racing brain that could put a lot of pro-men to shame. She knew how to work a breakaway group then go in for the kill. Chapeau to her, I hope she retains some involvement in the sport youngsters, particularly the young girls could learn a lot from her regarding tactics.
    Trouble was other than the Olympics, that was the only time she did that. Watch any other championship race and she would be doing far to much.
    Now didn't Ema Pooley do well for her.

do we read in to anything that Pooley & Lizzie werent namechecked in the plaudits section...wouldnt have automatically thought Nicoles sporting legacy was necessarily the olympic champion track cycling team pursuiters, even if ok I appreciate they are dual discipline track/roadies.
  • ddraver
    pfffft, well just read it...

Fair play to that woman! I'm actually a bit teary!
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    pfffft, well just read it...

Fair play to that woman! I'm actually a bit teary!

Man-size kleenex?
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    I'm actually mildly relieved; normally when someone "retires - and let's rip", it's a lot messier.
    As my old grandad said; "when you get to my age, don't waste a stiffy and never trust a fart".

I hope that Cooke's retirement doesn't tip Pooley the same way...
    Shall we assume that NC speaking her mind means she's not looking for a DS/team management role?
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 483
    Nice parting speech, she has just been on C4 news and is impressively articulate and frank for a sportsperson.

We met her eating chips and mayo on the Bemelerberg (sp!) at the mens race in the world champs last year. She was really genuine and nice, especially encouraging to my young daughter.

Good luck to her, hope she goes on to do something pretty cool in whatever she plans next.
  • mercsport
    mercsport Posts: 664
    I love Nicole Cooke, I'm glad this thread turned up because usually no-one listens but has there been a braver and more impressive British athlete?

Yes, Nicole is out of the same mould as the likes of Graeme Obree and a slew of other anti-establishment figures from the past, and there are lots. But re' "has there been a braver and more impressive British athlete? " if you were thinking female cyclists, Beryl Burton IMO sticks out a mile above all others. http://goo.gl/wygJR As tough as they come.
    "Lick My Decals Off, Baby"
  • I am appalled that so many men bleat on about the fact that the pressures were too great. Too great for what? This is not doing 71 mph on the motorway when the legal limit is 70. This is stealing somebody else's livelihood. It is theft just as much as putting your hand in a purse or wallet and taking money is theft. Theft has gone on since the dawn of time but because somebody, somewhere else, does it, does not mean it is right for you to do it. There can be no excuse.

Brilliant. Should be splattered over every comment on every article that says LA was only doing what everyone else was doing.

Always admired the woman. Now even more so.
  • ddraver
    ^ +1 That was the bit that got me too!
    - @ddraver
  • LutherB
    LutherB Posts: 544
    I liked the 'Hamilton's filthy hands' line hehehe
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    I am appalled that so many men bleat on about the fact that the pressures were too great. Too great for what? This is not doing 71 mph on the motorway when the legal limit is 70. This is stealing somebody else's livelihood. It is theft just as much as putting your hand in a purse or wallet and taking money is theft. Theft has gone on since the dawn of time but because somebody, somewhere else, does it, does not mean it is right for you to do it. There can be no excuse.

Brilliant. Should be splattered over every comment on every article that says LA was only doing what everyone else was doing.

Always admired the woman. Now even more so.

I never warmed to Cooke very much. She's just become a hero to me.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    LutherB wrote:

Hamilton has done more to help clean up the sport than Cooke has with all her ranting, as amusing and accurate as they may be.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    LutherB wrote:

Hamilton has done more to help clean up the sport than Cooke has with all her ranting, as amusing and accurate as they may be.

Sorry, but her quote about getting rich on the way on and on the way down is spot on.

Dont be another one who puts Hamilton et al on a pedestal
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    iainf72 wrote:
    LutherB wrote:

Sorry, but her quote about getting rich on the way on and on the way down is spot on.

Dont be another one who puts Hamilton et al on a pedestal

He's got rich? Because people who write books get rich?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • He's not a hero, Iain, any more than Landis is, despite what you and Race Radio think
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    iainf72 wrote:
    He'll make more money than I will this year. And more than his honest peers did.

The moral of the Armstrong story increasingly seems to be 'dope all you want, just make sure there's someone bigger to take down and you'll be fine'
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • LeicesterLad
    RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    He'll make more money than I will this year. And more than his honest peers did.

Can't you write a book about your Hockey match fixing exploits Rich?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I don't image the tale of conceding a match to Aberystwyth Uni without permission when someone's car broke down is much of a basis for a bestseller.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    I don't image the tale of conceding a match to Aberystwyth Uni without permission when someone's car broke down is much of a basis for a bestseller.

To be honest, I'd read this ahead of another Dan Brown book
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    RichN95 wrote:

Oh FFS Rich!!! What about a Spoiler Alert???
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • LeicesterLad
    RichN95 wrote:

And what basis did '50 shades of..' and 'the Twilight' series have? The Hockey book sounds pretty good IMHO
  • Agree, Hamilton, Landis et al are not heroes, they're gus who cheated at sport and eventually, with an incentive, did the right thing. We should be grateful for it, but lets not be credulous enough to believe that they would have handed back their ill gotten gains at any point.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • iainf72 wrote:

Didn't she try and setup her own team? Surely it would have been run as a "clean" team. Not perfect, but a good start?
  • http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/jan/14/nicole-cooke-retirement-statement

That statement in full. Uncomfortable reading re: British Cycling and repentant returnees. I bet her and Millar would be an interesting interview.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    Anyone know who "Peter" is? Interested to know what team he joined..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/20946301
  • ddraver
    Jens has just tweeted his support....even bestows True Champion status on her!!!!
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    Jens has just tweeted his support....even bestows True Champion status on her!!!!

I thought there was only one person who could do that. And it's not Jens. :D