Nicole Cooke retires - and let's rip

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I'm glad she mentions Hamilton. I mentioned that on the Tyler spoiler thread. Not impressed.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    And shame on Armitstead. Could tell her character by the fact Blythe has poor dress sense.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • LeePaton
    LeePaton Posts: 353
    Tom Dean wrote:
    Armitstead - 'To me it's old news and should be left there' :roll:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/21036935

Oh dear, Armistead didn't do herself any favours there, although this made me laugh..

"Well that's not true because I train with my boyfriend every single day. I know that he's 100% clean and he wins men's bike races."

How old is she? :roll:

This has chuckling. The rest has me disappointed.
    It's not so much about winning, I just hate losing.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,177
    And shame on Armitstead. Could tell her character by the fact Blythe has poor dress sense.

:lol: Frenchie classic!
  • Pross wrote:

Only Frenchie....and btw Frenchie I suspect that Blythe and his bestie Phil Gil swap clothes sometimes...
  • but to add my twopenn'th...Our Lizzie should have had a little more sense...
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Pross wrote:

What.The.Actual.Flip!!! :lol:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    FF - with the mood she's in, were Cooke to see your avatar (especially next to her picture) I suspect you'd get quite a tongue-lashing - and not in a good way.
  • OCDuPalais wrote:
    FF - with the mood she's in, were Cooke to see your avatar (especially next to her picture) I suspect you'd get quite a tongue-lashing - and not in a good way.

Oh man :(

You just had to, didnt you
  • frenchfighter
    Seriously. He hasn't got socks on, has a red tie and a dodgy hairstlye:

8137875031_1a31934871_b.jpg
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/britishcyc ... otostream/
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    OCDuPalais wrote:

And she is quite entitled to.

A champion like her however would be able to appreciate his racing talent. Let's not take this thread away from Nicole though.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ocdupalais
    Let's not take this thread away from Nicole though.

Erm...

• Mooro wrote:
    Nice parting speech, she has just been on C4 news and is impressively articulate and frank for a sportsperson.

We met her eating chips and mayo on the Bemelerberg (sp!) at the mens race in the world champs last year. She was really genuine and nice, especially encouraging to my young daughter.

Good luck to her, hope she goes on to do something pretty cool in whatever she plans next.

Yes Peter,
    A big plus one for your post.
    We should have seen that the chips and mayo, were a signal for her retirement!
    I hope she's not lost entirely to the sport.
    She was totally charming and gave of her time freely that day without ever making us fans feel like we were intruding.
  • Team4Luke wrote:
    a Book to come soon.........

My thoughts too.
    Really hope so.
    I'd certainly pre-order it.
  • Seriously. He hasn't got socks on, has a red tie and a dodgy hairstlye:

Dear god; suit, tie, and bph with no socks? the man is a monster, and must be stopped.
    I have a policy of only posting comment on the internet under my real name. This is to moderate my natural instinct to flame your fatuous, ill-informed, irrational, credulous, bigoted, semi-literate opinions to carbon, you knuckle-dragging f***wits.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Tom Dean wrote:

Couldn't quite resist having dig, by the looks of those comments. A bit petty really.

I just can't warm to Armitstead at times but at least she's starting to look like her performances might back up her mouth. Still think Lucy Garner is likely to be the lead GB woman most often in the future.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • frenchfighter
    I read the full text last night. Heavyweight and True Champion status are certified.

The state of women's cycling and the UCI's part in the matter are both lamentable.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661

Dear god; suit, tie, and bph with no socks? the man is a monster, and must be stopped.

Sorry, there's a man in the photo? :wink:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Tom Dean wrote:

Couldn't quite resist having dig, by the looks of those comments. A bit petty really.

I just can't warm to Armitstead at times but at least she's starting to look like her performances might back up her mouth. Still think Lucy Garner is likely to be the lead GB woman most often in the future.

I predict Lucy Garner will be the best female road cyclist of her generation by a country mile. She will eventually wipe the floor with Armistead. Plus she is a VERY nice girl, and yes, she has beaten me to the cafe stop plenty of times. :oops:
  • Trev The Rev
    Trev The Rev Posts: 1,040
    Tom Dean wrote:

This comment is very worrying. How can a clean athlete have this attitude? This is exactly the line the cheats and their apologists have been taking for decades. Exactly the sort of attitude that has sunk cycling so deep in a sea of iniquity.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Tom Dean wrote:

This comment is very worrying. How can a clean athlete have this attitude? This is exactly the line the cheats and their apologists have been taking for decades. Exactly the sort of attitude that has sunk cycling so deep in a sea of iniquity.

She has that attitude because it is a truful reflection of here own experiences. And it probably is true. Do you want her to lie just to fit your own ideas?

Why is the 'everyone was doping massively but I beat the lot of them clean' a more credible message than 'the sport is fairly clean and lots of clean riders like me win races'. It is because it fits what you already believe.

Like many 'anti-doping' advocates, you don't want the truth, you just want your own opinions confirmed.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ^This
  • Trev The Rev
    RichN95 wrote:
    Tom Dean wrote:

She has that attitude because it is a truful reflection of here own experiences. And it probably is true. Do you want her to lie just to fit your own ideas?

Why is the 'everyone was doping massively but I beat the lot of them clean' a more credible message than 'the sport is fairly clean and lots of clean riders like me win races'. It is because it fits what you already believe.

Like many 'anti-doping' advocates, you don't want the truth, you just want your own opinions confirmed.

Yes I am anti doping - my opinions re doping & cheating in sport have been the same for over 40 years, and year in year out I have been proven correct - this year even more than previous years. Yes I do want my opinions confirmed, they have been, are and will be.

As for you and your opinions, I don't give damn.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    ^So you're 'anti-doping' but you actually want their to be doping )because it confirms your view that everyone is doping.So you're actually pro doping. The only thing actually important to you is whether are right.

So any evidence, such as the two accounts, must be judged not on their own merits but solely on whether they support you opinions.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Trev The Rev
    RichN95 wrote:
    ^So you're 'anti-doping' but you actually want their to be doping )because it confirms your view that everyone is doping.So you're actually pro doping. The only thing actually important to you is whether are right.

So any evidence, such as the two accounts, must be judged not on their own merits but solely on whether they support you opinions.

My view is not that everyone is doping.
    As someone who has competed against dopers I find your comments offensive.
    I shall ignore you in future.
  • I take it you've passed your knowledge of all these dopers to the authorities.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • I take it you've passed your knowledge of all these dopers to the authorities.

This question's been put to this poster before. Sure that UKAD would welcome any knowledge that he has.
  • Trev The Rev
    I take it you've passed your knowledge of all these dopers to the authorities.

This question's been put to this poster before. Sure that UKAD would welcome any knowledge that he has.

When was that question put to me? I don't remember it. I think it is accepted the Eastern Block were doping in 1980s.
  • ocdupalais

When was that question put to me? I don't remember it. I think it is accepted the Eastern Block were doping in 1980s.

What, all of it?

I remember not listening to an expert say that doping affects the memory, you know?
  • Trev The Rev
    OCDuPalais wrote:

What, all of it?

I remember not listening to an expert say that doping affects the memory, you know?

Certainly the East Germans & Russians.